Large Object Fell on Cat, Seems Ok, But Want Advice

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I came to this site for advice on fleas a while ago and got some good feedback so here I am again.

We moved a bunch of weeks back, (the cat acclimated perfectly btw, he's very happy)... anyways, today I was moving the last item from the old place to put into our storage here. It's a treadmill. Not a heavy duty one but more of a treadmill made for someone 150 lbs or less.

Anyways, while moving it I broke the latch that holds the walking platform in the stowed position. When I was moving it through the house of course the cat had to investigate this relic from the old house and all of a sudden the thing unfolded and fell right on top of him. There are raiser bars on the bottom of the treadmill platform to adjust for elevation, thanfully those were in the highest position. (Which leaves about 4 inches from the platform to the floor.

After it fell on him he immediately ran and hid under the bed. I ran and grabbed him out and went over him pretty thoroughally and he seemed ok but I am still really concerned.

First I pressed all over his belly to make sure his important parts were okay. Then I went around and went over each leg, paw, shoulder, etc. He didn't seem like I was hurting him through all of that.

This happened this afternoon, about 7 hours ago. Within seconds he was eating a few treats (before I examined him) and within an hour he has visited his food and water dish, played with a couple of his toys and was just lounging around.

He definently seems all right but still I want others opinions.I love my cat and dont want him to be hurt or worse.

The only thing I"ve noticed is his head is a little warm. But I mean this might not be anything bad as I've always noticed his ears were pretty warm, and plus I've also read in the past that cats body temperatures are a few degrees higher than humans.

I'd appreciate any advive. Like I said, he is visually fine, no limping or anything, but still I am worried.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Under the circumstances, the best thing would be to have your vet check your kitty to R/O injury or at the very least,
give them a call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Under the circumstances, the best thing would be to have your vet check your kitty to R/O injury or at the very least,
give them a call.
Do you think it can be let go until tomorrow? (It's past 9 PM here and I don't know where I could call.)

Like I said he hasn't acted a bit odd and he's not even limping which I am surprised, but relieved to see.

Do you think me maybe just had a VERY close call? To his displeasure I also pushed a bit on his head, because that is what I was most concerned about. He didn't really meow or get angry at me for doing it so fingers crossed.

Bummer too is I just adopted him literally 11 months ago, so he was about to go to the vet for the first time in my care anyways very shortly. So I guess I have to line up a vet for him and get him in there.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't have access to an emergency vet, all you can do is wait until tomorrow...
by then, if your kitty seems alright, my guess would be that everything is OK....
but that is just a guess.

Don't push on the head and keep an eye on your sweetie tonight.
It is a good idea for him to have an appointment asap so he already has a vet in case if illness or an emergency.

Please keep us updated about how he is doing.
What is his name?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure where you are in RI, but there is an Emergency vet in East Greenwich, one in Warwick and one in Swansea, MA off Rt 136 near Cardi's. I'm not sure about Northern RI. If he starts to act odd, I would definitely bring him in.

Good Luck!

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's basically like a 100 pound human having a 1000 pound something dropped onto them. I definitely recommend going to a vet to have a trained medical professional give him the once over. If you can get to an Emergency Vet, please do so, but if not, first thing in the morning!

I'm sure he's fine, but you can never be too cautious. You don't want to have to say, "God, if ONLY I'd taken him to the vet right after it happened!" later.

Good vibes for your baby!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Checking up on your cat's status this morning....
how is he feeling?

I hope that he is OK.

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

Buddy the cat is still doing fine it seems. He slept with his momma last night until she got up, then he came to the couch with me.

He seems 100%. He is still walking around fine, not acting strange like his head is hurt, and his still biting his dad (me) when I rustle around his belly fur, lol. He ate last night as well as this morning, so he seems okay.

My aunt worked as a Vet assistant for 6 years at the Northern RI Animal Hospital so I am going to have her take a look today, though I suspect he is okay. I am also going to decide on who his permanent vet will be. I've been so slow to decide because my mom brought our cats and dog to NRIAH for a long time but they are really expensive so I am caught between them and my cats former vet. (The previous owners included his vet in the paperwork.)

I think he just had a really close call. He had a good amount of time to react to the thing falling and cats are usually pretty quick so I think I got SUPER lucky. All I could imagine as it was falling is a dead cat.

I know I posted a picture of him a long time ago, but heres another one take yesterday morning and I can't resist but to share it.

Thank you ALL for all of your help, I really appreciate it!!

Abbys Mom, thank you SO much for that info! Since I don't have kids and I am pretty sure I am capable of dialing 911 in the case of emergency, the emergency vet #'s are going on the fridge in place of the police and fire dept.! I can take care of my self but my Buddy is my #1 priority so his emergency #'s take precedence!

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The picture frmo yesterday morning

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a handsome guy!

I agree, it's good to line up your 'family vet', so to speak - if nothing else, once you have the relationship established, you've got someplace to call with questions and hopefully they've got a alliance going with an ER vet in case of off-hour emergencies.

I bet you didn't get much sleep last night!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He doesnt look too big, and if he is behaving fine still, I wouldnt worry - keep monitoring him as you have been. For the record, 4" is certainly enough space for my one cat so self-maneuver into, and we can place a box that is a little less than 4" deep over the other cat (who is fairly large) if he is laying down....so he may not have actually been hit with significant force at all. Hope all continues to be well, and he is quite a handsome boy!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buddy is a very handsome boy.

After this close call, your boy still has 8 lives left.

Buddy.

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and good wishes everyone, I appreciate it very much. I am glad I decided to come to this forum with my question. I knew you guys would be very supportive and knowledgeable.

Buddy has been good still all day.

He was just doing one of his favorites, eating the curtain cords and watching the birds. I snapped a couple more pictures to post as a thank you to everyone.

I appreciate the help!

Ed

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - my fridge has my vet and e-vet numbers, as does my cell phone....but I have to look up my own doctors' numbers every time!

I also did a dry run to the e-vet's office to make sure I knew where it was - actually came in handy when I did have to go on a Sunday night....I decided no one wants to be searching for an address with a sick pet in the back seat.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I know what you mean - my fridge has my vet and e-vet numbers, as does my cell phone....but I have to look up my own doctors' numbers every time!

I also did a dry run to the e-vet's office to make sure I knew where it was - actually came in handy when I did have to go on a Sunday night....I decided no one wants to be searching for an address with a sick pet in the back seat.
That is very wise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buddy could not be more handsome.

You should share his photos in the Lounge's pictures forum so more members can see how adorable he is.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks like a very pampered kitty

Glad to hear that he is doing ok!

ead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the compliments on how cute he is!
He really is adorable. except when he is biting me lol!.

Biting and scratching is his FAVORITE. As you can see in the pictures above he is simultanously biting and trying to scratch the curtain cord! LOL

My aunt checked out Buddy, she said he appears fine. She also said that if he was hurt somewhere on the inside (since without limping or swaying he appears to be fine on the outside)..... if he was hurt on the inside he'd be hiding and not playing with birds, his toys, and rolling around all over the place.

Thank you all SO much for you help. I appreciate it a ton!!!!

I will probaly put more pictures in the lounge and while I am there take a look at everyone elses cute cats!!!!

Darlili, great idea to make a dry run!!!!!! Especially since most emergency clinics just happen to be miles from where you live it's great to knew right where to go. Good job!!!