Why shouldn't we buy from pet stores?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to sound completely stupid in a about a second, but I'm really curious.

Why do people here discourage buying from pet stores so much? Just because they are from a pet store, we shouldn't care about those poor animals? We should just not purchase them and let them die? I don't get it.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course we care about the animals, but the problem is so much bigger than just one animal. For EVERY animal (dogs & cats, but that goes for birds, small and furries, and everything else) that you purchase from a pet store, you are supporting, at best, irresponsible breeding, and at worst, terrible operations such as puppy mills. I know you go into a pet store, see the adorable little faces, especially if they are sick, and just want to save them.. but every time you purchase a pet there, you are giving the pet store more money to continue inhumane practices.

Please take a look at this site. It can be hard to read, but if you at least skim it, you should have an idea of what we're up against, and what's being supported every time an animal is purchased from a pet store. Personally, I do not even buy my pet supplies from stores that also sell animals, but I understand that not everyone goes that far.

Please do post if you have any questions, and I'll try to clarify anything that I've been unclear on. Thank you so much for asking this question, so we can get an open dialogue and hopefully educate anyone else wondering the same thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand what puppy mills are. But what I don't understand is how you think you can stop them from doing what they do just because you, yourself don't support them. "Don't buy from puppy mills!" you say, which in reality is doing nothing but letting those animals die
It's either buy one from them...which in a way supports them, yet the animal gets to live a happy life with you, or...don't buy from them and let the puppies die and nothing really changes. I can't imagine the world hopping on board with this "Don't buy from puppy mills or pet stores" thing and running them out of business. Sad but true. It's a sick world.

I know I myself could never step foot in an actual puppy mill, I'd cry for days. Why are puppy mills even legal?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased Lucy from a small, independent pet store; she was the only mammal in the place. She and her sister (who'd been sold already) had been surrended. I don't normally go into pet shops that I know sell animals (versus a stringent adoption process), but I had never been in this particular store before and came out with Lucy.

I totally agree on the "mills" operated by some pet stores. It's a crime what happens to these defenseless animals.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

I'm going to sound completely stupid in a about a second, but I'm really curious.

Why do people here discourage buying from pet stores so much? Just because they are from a pet store, we shouldn't care about those poor animals? We should just not purchase them and let them die? I don't get it.
Becasue it sets up a chain of events that the people who are animals lovers cannot resist. A puppy in a cage, little bitty thing, so cute! A kitty, aw look, so precious, must bring the kitty home!
These said animals no doubt are coming from mills. I won't describe the horror animals from mills endure. I will leave that to you to look up, if you can take it. Pet shops for the most part are out to make $$$, the animals are living things, but they are not seen that way. Anthing for the almihgty dollar. How do I know this, first hand from working at a pet store. Petland.
You may be saving a life by going pet store, but you continue the horrible catch 22 that we all face, save a life, but contribute the cash making that they depend on.
God it breaks my heart.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand what puppy mills are. But what I don't understand is how you think you can stop them from doing what they do just because you, yourself don't support them. "Don't buy from puppy mills!" you say, which in reality is doing nothing but letting those animals die
It's either buy one from them...which in a way supports them, yet the animal gets to live a happy life with you, or...don't buy from them and let the puppies die and nothing really changes. I can't imagine the world hopping on board with this "Don't buy from puppy mills or pet stores" thing and running them out of business. Sad but true. It's a sick world.

I know I myself could never step foot in an actual puppy mill, I'd cry for days. Why are puppy mills even legal?
You line of thought is exactly what perpetuates this kind of operation.
Nothing in the world start or stop abruptly - everything happens little by little, and EVERYONE need to do their part for that to happen.
The more people we educate, the more people will boycott them, the less profit they will make, the bigger the chances their businesses will close.
It is all a matter of supply and demand!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Nothing in the world start or stop abruptly - everything happens little by little, and EVERYONE need to do their part for that to happen.
The more people we educate, the more people will boycott them, the less profit they will make, the bigger the chances their businesses will close.
True. It's not exactly my line of thought, though. I would never buy from a puppy mill. But how are they not illegal?

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

True. It's not exactly my line of thought, though. I would never buy from a puppy mill. But how are they not illegal?
Almost every dog bought from a pet store comes from a puppy mill. The "reputable local breeders" they claim their dogs come from? They do not exist. There is not one reputable breeder out there (BYBs are another story) that would sell their puppies to a pet store.

As far as being illegal, technically.. they are! But the USDA does not have the manpower or ability to inspect the "kennels" (puppy mills) as is really needed. Here's a quote from the Humane Society's site:

In 1966 Congress passed the Animal Welfare Act, which outlines specific minimum standards of care for dogs, cats, and some other kinds of animals bred for commercial resale. The AWA is enforced by the United States Department of Agriculture. Under the AWA, certain large-scale commercial breeders are required to be licensed and regularly inspected by the USDA. But there are many inefficiencies and loopholes in the system.

Only large-scale commercial facilities that breed or broker animals for resale—to pet stores for example—are required to be licensed and inspected by the USDA because they are considered "wholesale" operations. Those that sell directly to the public—thousands of facilities that breed and sell just as many puppies as their wholesale counterparts—are not required to adhere to the Animal Welfare Act or to any federal humane care standards.

Inspection records obtained by The HSUS show that many USDA-licensed breeders get away with repeated violations of the Animal Welfare Act. These violators are rarely fined nor are their licenses suspended. Facilities with long histories of repeated violations for basic care conditions are often allowed to renew their licenses again and again. Over the years The HSUS has encouraged better staffing and funding for USDA inspection programs in order to increase enforcement capabilities.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think not buying from a pet store makes a difference because there are way too many people who woudn't do their part. The only way to stop stupid irresponsible breeders and puppy mills is to take it to congress and make it illegal and make the guidelines for breeding into law. Although I wouldn't buy from a petstore that's just my beliefs I don't think enough people will ever boycott them ...it's sad but in my opinion reality. That doesn't mean I think people should buy from them..but I just don't think doing your part and not buying from pet stores will solve much.
It's the same with recycling and being conscious of environment. Not enough people will do it unless they are forced to the way they do it in Germany. All the rest of us who recycle it's a great thing but still doesn't solve the problem.
So yea I'm just saying for all of you who are concerned about it maybe you should write to your congressman and try to encourage friends to do the same rather than passively encouraging them not to buy from pet stores.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

One voice can be lost in the night, even though you shout. Two voices becme a harmony. Three voices become a force. More voices become a force to be recokened with.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I just wanted to add, there are not a lot of "evil" people out there. For the most part, the people supporting puppy mills are kind, caring people, just like you or me! Someone who wants a brand new puppy doesn't walk into a disgusting kennel run by the Hunte corporation, point out the puppy they want, and hand over $800 for the pleasure.. no way! The people supporting puppy mills are, for the most part, ignorant of the fact that pet stores are the problem. They think that it is someone else, some mythical, shadowy, evil figure, and that because they are good and kind and love their dog, there's no way they're the problem. But they are.

I bring this up because you say, "It's not exactly my line of thinking." It's a rare person whose line of thinking is, "I love puppy mills and I'm going to make sure they stay in business!" They stay in business by preying on the caring nature of regular animal lovers who do not know any better.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco came from a pet store but she would have been at the pound if the people did not lets them sell the kittens for them.
Her mom was a seal point siamese and all the kittens looked like the mom except Coco so we bought her.
We were going to get a siamese looking one.
The pet store she came from did not sell kittens but did the people a favor.
Coco is 17 now.
I would never buy a dog from a pet store.
I stopped my sister a few months ago from getting a puppy from a pet store.
I made her ask where they came from and guess what it is one of the worse puppy mills around.
Our dog we adopted from the pound lived 15 years.
I also kept feral cats we saved.

mrsdolittle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i bought my Prince from my local pet shop (just a small outlet)- I feel bad now reading all this! I have recently found out what they buy the kittens in for then sell on, put it this way they buy for 15 pound and sell for 75. To be honest it seems very hard to know exactly where to buy kittens from, we have a large amount of strays round here with local charities being set up to try and help with the amount, staff fostering themselves in the mean time. I did look into rehoming but I live near a busy road and wouldnt be allowed one to my knowledge. I have used this pet shop before that I bought Prince from, they are very thorough with their advice, information but I guess we can all be hoodwinked. I hope not in this case and many others. I'm not sure about the licensing laws round here and if they are regulated, something I will now google. I know some councils over here follow licensing laws and need to register for selling pets but im not sure if my council does. it is a truelly sad fact the way some animals are treated. I guess I look at this in a couple of ways, at least my Prince now has a safe home but I just hope i havent lined the pockets of evil people in the process. thanks for all this info guys i will certainly be reading up on it over the next few days. i have already applied to volunteer at my local cats protection branch and hope i will be able to help those less fortunate kitty cats.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle

i bought my Prince from my local pet shop (just a small outlet)- I feel bad now reading all this! I have recently found out what they buy the kittens in for then sell on, put it this way they buy for 15 pound and sell for 75. To be honest it seems very hard to know exactly where to buy kittens from, we have a large amount of strays round here with local charities being set up to try and help with the amount, staff fostering themselves in the mean time. I did look into rehoming but I live near a busy road and wouldnt be allowed one to my knowledge. I have used this pet shop before that I bought Prince from, they are very thorough with their advice, information but I guess we can all be hoodwinked. I hope not in this case and many others. I'm not sure about the licensing laws round here and if they are regulated, something I will now google. I know some councils over here follow licensing laws and need to register for selling pets but im not sure if my council does. it is a truelly sad fact the way some animals are treated. I guess I look at this in a couple of ways, at least my Prince now has a safe home but I just hope i havent lined the pockets of evil people in the process. thanks for all this info guys i will certainly be reading up on it over the next few days. i have already applied to volunteer at my local cats protection branch and hope i will be able to help those less fortunate kitty cats.
This is a really sweet post, thank you so much for being so proactive and seeking out this information. I don't think anyone that buys from pet stores is a bad person -- you're a great owner to your cat and the most important thing is that you are educated from this point forward and can educate others as well. And kudos to you for looking into volunteering.. that's awesome of you!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

One voice can be lost in the night, even though you shout. Two voices becme a harmony. Three voices become a force. More voices become a force to be recokened with.
That is just an awesome way of saying it!
and like Carolina said, every movement starts small
For every friend that you convince to not buy from a pet store, they convince friends, who can convince friends, etc etc etc

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is why I feel guilty buying cat food from the local Pet Supplies Plus: they sell animals (birds, reptiles, bunnies, gerbils - no cats or dogs). Even though I don't buy animals there anymore (I used to get hermit crabs), I feel bad knowing that my money has helped them purchase and sell more pets. But the place is within walking distance, sells premium foods, and is willing to special-order for me. So I continue buying there.

If I wanted to adopt a cat or dog, I would go to a no-kill shelter, never a pet store or kill shelter. (I do get fish from the fish store...it's not as though I can go to a no-kill fish shelter!)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If everyone stopped buying pets from pet stores, there would be no need for puppy mills, as they would have no place to sell their wares. It is all about supply and demand.

Many of us bash these stores because we are trying to support the movement. The government is not going to ban them, so the public has to simply stop supporting them.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just puppies and kittens!
There are bird mills and factory farms with small animals breeding their lives away in battery cages as well.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes you wonder, if most of these pet stores sell sick/neglected animals (and i'm talking about fish,reptiles,birds,rodents) where can you get healthy pets of those kinds? You take a huge risk ordering online and basically my conclusion is with pet stores you wouldn't have any of those animals as pets these just aren't many GOOD breeders/sellers these days that sell to cheap pet stores.

I wont work at a pet store it would be just too frustrating seeing all those animals in need and too many to help.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always bought herps, birds, and small animals directly from breeders.
Fish I buy from fish only stores most of which do their own breeding.

Just like buying dogs, cats, horses or houses, you have to thoroughly research.