TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Ugh! Wet cellphone help please!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ugh! Wet cellphone help please!!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So my cellphone fell out of purse and on the ground in the POURING RAIN and I didn't notice it for an hour. It works and the keyboard works(I have an ENV2) but when I called Travis on my way home, he sounded far away and he said that I sounded far away too. So my question is what can I do to dry it out? Should I do the rice trick or hairdryer? I have dropped another cellphone in the sink filled with water a few years ago but it didn't work again for 6 months!

Any help will do. Thanks guys!
post #2 of 13
You have to take the battery out, leave it open for 24 hours. You can use a hair dryer but still leave it open for 24 hours. A lot depends on the maker. I dropped a Nokia in the toilet (fell out of my back pocket) and another Nokia was victim of rain. Both after I did this, came back to life! Sony Ericsson, you can't even have clamy palms!
post #3 of 13
Put it in a bowl of rice and leave it a while. A friend of mine dropped hers in the toilet and I told her to do that and it worked.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
Put it in a bowl of rice and leave it a while. A friend of mine dropped hers in the toilet and I told her to do that and it worked.
Rice helps absorb the moisture, but you definitely need to open the back, remove the battery, pad off excess water, and leave it alone for atleast 24 hours to thoroughly air dry. Keeping it under a light or somewhere dry and warm is another plus.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Okay now so apparently I can hear people loud and clear but they can't hear me! I need to find out where the mic is on the inside since it's not a normal mic! ARRRGH!
post #6 of 13
I third the open it up, take the battery out, and let it sit to dry.

My Nokia went for a swim before (water bottle leaked and made a nice little pool in the backpack pocket it was in), and I assumed it was fried. So, I went out that night and bought the exact same phone. Sure enough, a couple days later, I tried the old phone and it worked fine. The only difference was that there is a bit of a watermark on the screen from the screensaver that was on at the time the phone got wet. Several years later, the phone is still going strong - my mom uses it now.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
I took the battery out and have it sitting in a bowl of rice. Fingers crossedthat it works. I just need to leave it alone for the night!

Thanks again!
post #8 of 13
The worst thing you can do is try to use it before drying it out. Hopefully you caught it in time
post #9 of 13
Put a lamp, incandescent bulb, over the rice. Not touching anything! Just a source of gently, steady heat. I've used a bedlamp for this purpose.
post #10 of 13
What ever you do DON"T put it in the oven My friend's Dad droped his phone in the toilet and then baked it in the oven to dry it out and was PO'ed that it didn't work any more

I agree to take the battery off and just let it dry.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well it WORKED! YAYI used a hair dryer for a few short minutes on low warm and then took the battery out and put it in a bowl of rice overnight and VOILA! This morning, I turned it on and it worked! YAY! Thank you all again for all your advice! I will definately pay more attention next time
post #12 of 13
It's funny that I just commented last night on this thread, and today, my boyfriend's phone was dropped in a cup of tea. He was all set to buy a new one (although not happy about it), and I said that he should just take the batteries out and let it dry. It worked too! Apparently Motorolas can survive a swim too.
post #13 of 13
Ooo, good to know about the rice in case my cell phone gets wet.

And, yay for your phone working again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Ugh! Wet cellphone help please!!