Where can I purchase Degu's?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I just joined here, I know this website is mainly for cats, but I couldn't find a better pet forum.

I'm having the hardest time trying to find where I can adopt/purchase 2 female Degu's in the South Florida area. I have tried Petfinder.com, Craigslist, Yahoo Answers, and countless other Google websites.

Does anyone know any breeders in my area? or any breeders with Degu's that will ship? (Or is shipping bad? Sorry, I have no idea!).

Thanks in advance

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had never heard of a Degu before.

I googled their name and saw several site for breeders.
They are really cute.
Maybe other members will have some useful ideas for you.
Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I had never heard of a Degu before.

I googled their name and saw several site for breeders.
They are really cute.
Maybe other members will have some useful ideas for you.
Good luck.
I saw some breeders too, just none in my area
I don't trust breeder's without a website.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked this in another thread earlier today but I am not getting many replies, and I admit, I'm a bit impatient
because I found out about these awesome little critters today and I'm so curious to where to get them!

Does ANYONE know anything of where I can adopt/purchase 2 female Degu's in South Florida? I have tried Petfinder, Craigslist, Yahoo Answers, and countless Google websites. I can't find any breeders or anything in my area!

Where do people get these?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

The second listing in in Florida, just scan the list.
http://www.degus.com/babydegus.html
Thanks

I've seen that, it's from last month, though. Also sorry I wasn't specific, I would prefer baby/young ones, and I don't really trust that ad on some random basic website

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's how you go about finding breeders.
You find em on the internet then you do your own reaserch to determine if they are good breeders.

That's how I found the few breeders of various animals that I've dealt with.
You can also see if you can find a Yahoo group to join and find breeders that way.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Well, that's how you go about finding breeders.
You find em on the internet then you do your own reaserch to determine if they are good breeders.

That's how I found the few breeders of various animals that I've dealt with.
You can also see if you can find a Yahoo group to join and find breeders that way.
I know, but that is just 1 listing
One unverified person. I was hoping to find a breeder website, SOMETHING I can look at, other than plain boring text. So many people have Degu's. Where are they getting them? Jeeze.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you scroll to the bottom of that page and click the link, you can get a drop down link that takes you to breeder listings and you can see that they are a webring member.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm those look a lot like chinchillas. Except perhaps Chinchillas have fluffier tails and look to be bigger.

Have you considered one of those in case you can't get your Degu wish?

Perhaps you could look into a breeder that is farther away or even out of state that would be willing to ship your pair to you.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

Hmm those look a lot like chinchillas. Except perhaps Chinchillas have fluffier tails and look to be bigger.

Have you considered one of those in case you can't get your Degu wish?

Perhaps you could look into a breeder that is farther away or even out of state that would be willing to ship your pair to you.
Chinchilla's and Degu's are completely different animals, they just look alike.

Chinchilla's are very fragile and can't be picked up a lot, they do poorly with children and have strict temperature rules. Chinchilla's are also nocturnal, while Degu's are not
Chinchillas can also live to be 20 years old while Degu's usually live up to 5-8 years.

Degu's are very sociable and nice, they love to be petted and massaged, they don't bite, they aren't nocturnal. They are basically everything I'm looking for.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why was my thread moved?
I put it in the lounge to get more views and replies. Now it's back to where my old thread is.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know Petsmart in Aventura carries small pets. I think Petco in North Miami does too. Both are on US1. Have you called them?

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

Why was my thread moved?
I put it in the lounge to get more views and replies. Now it's back to where my old thread is.
I think because this place is for discussion about other animals while the lounge is just for discussion about life and such.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I know Petsmart in Aventura carries small pets. I think Petco in North Miami does too. Both are on US1. Have you called them?
Doesn't every Pet store carry small pets?

The only small pets I have ever seen in my area are gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats, ferrets, guineas, rabbits....no Degu's. I've never even heard of a Degu lol

And I've visited just about every pet store in my area to browse around.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to call some of the veterinarians in your area, to find if there are any who have been trained to treat them, or have studied them at all. When bringing a pet into your home, one of the first things that must be done is a through veterinary exam, by an experienced veterinarian who is well experienced and has the knowledge of how to examine, and treat, exotics. If you don't have a veterinarian on board before you get the Degau, you are already courting catastrophe!!! A reputable and knowledgeable veterinarian might be able to help you in your search, if s/he has extensive experience in that area, s/he might be able to put you in touch with reputable breeders.

Good luck!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't every Pet store carry small pets?
There are some that only sell pet supplies, no pets. Like up here there is a place called Urbanimal, and all they sell is pet food and other supplies.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't buy from a pet store! The animals there come from the rodent version of puppy mills and the breeding animals really suffer...I have seen videos and it's not pretty. http://www.brecklagh.com/petshops.html (the photos here are from one of the "better" breeders by the way). This one has more graphic photos: http://pawofjustice.org/index.php?cat=11 The degus at my local pet shops are kept 5 or 6 to a fifteen gallon tank with a couple of cardboard tubes.

I'm not a degu expert but if you google "degus" you might find a few good sites that might list ethical breeders/rescues. Check out petfinder too!