Mad at the vet. :(

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I e-mailed my vet (the phone is broken) about raw diets. I just asked him about some supplements he thought were best for cats. This was his reply:

While I appreciate your concern for your pet's health, raw diets are not the answer at all. Would you risk your pet's life for a faddish, imbalanced diet? Of course not! Raw diets contain few nutrients, and even though there are some supplements out there, I cannot condone them. "Natural diet" are nearly impossible. A natural diet would be mice and birds-not raw meat with some vitamins mixed in. As we domesticated cats, their natural diet went away. Also, bacteria thrive in raw meat, and many fatal diseases can arise from even a few nibbles of this deadly food. Sure, some pets have survived on this, but many haven't. Most "recipes" for this food are created by "holistic" vets who shun helpful medicine for herbs, which are highly ineffective (research it yourself!) Many disregard life saving vaccines. While they are well meaning, I don't trust their treatments. So, by all means, stick with a healthful diet-which can easily be found at your local store. A dry-only diet is best for their dental and kidney health. I feed my healthy pets Cat Chow and Iams. If your pet needs a special diet, we carry vet foods.

Have a pawsome day,
(vet)

Not only does his letter give out crazy information, he completely goes against holistic vets, which is VERY rude imo. And he feeds only dry? He mentioned at the cat's appointment that one of his cats had renal failure! I'm sort of upset right now. :
:

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard so many good things involving raw diets.

Including feeding whole prey which to me seems the most nutritious.

I don't understand why your vet would be against them.

I personally have never attempted this, but I've discussed it with my boyfriend recently because it would be nice to be able to include the cat with our foodstamp benefits if we get them again in Michigan.

Plus my baby is a tad (okay so more than a tad) overweight and I hear that a natural diet can sometimes give them more energy and help them snap back down to that slender size.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deep breath, Fattykitty!

You're absolutely correct - nearly everything that vet wrote is complete garbage and has been disproved many times over. I'd like to say, what an idiot, but that would be rude.

You can do one of three things: You can try to bring him around (an uphill battle, for sure). You can use him for everything except nutritional advice (and don't talk to him about your cats diet). Or you can find another vet, one with more current training and who is open to actually working with their clients.

I have to say it again, unbelievable....., what a moron. He's still advocating dry food and his poor cat's in renal failure? Hello? Are you even awake, mr vet?

*sheez*

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite line, "As we domesticated cats, their natural diet went away."

Really? Where? Oh, I know, I know!!!! It went on vacation!

My second favorite, "...raw diets are not the answer at all. Would you risk your pet's life for a faddish, imbalanced diet?" DOH!! How the heck does "faddish" apply to the prey-animal diet cats have been eating since they evolved?

And my third, "Sure, some pets have survived on this, but many haven't." This one's completely fabricated. *sigh*

Eventually, folks who believe like this man will be in the minority. I hope to live to see the day!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A dry-only diet is best for their dental and kidney health.
How can they say that dry is best for kidneys, imagine just how healthy we would be if we only ate food with 8% moisture?

As we domesticated cats, their natural diet went away.
however, this just cracked me up lol!!! The vet here is just implying that cats SHOULD eat raw food. Heck, we took away their natural diet and replaced it with dry dehydrating junk. Raw is just replacing it back to the natural diet!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would get a new vet. Whether the vet believes in raw or not, he should at least be supportive in your endeavors and if you choose to go against his wishes of feeding kibble, at least give you the answers you need to make your dog's raw diet a complete one.

Sounds to me like he hasn't researched raw feeding and rather than saying "I know nothing about it" he's just trying to get you off the subject.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

I would get a new vet. Whether the vet believes in raw or not, he should at least be supportive in your endeavors and if you choose to go against his wishes of feeding kibble, at least give you the answers you need to make your dog's raw diet a complete one.

Sounds to me like he hasn't researched raw feeding and rather than saying "I know nothing about it" he's just trying to get you off the subject.
I have a few vets I deal with that have limited raw/homemade experience or for that matter NON grocery diets but they always listen , give feedback with places to get what info they used or they give it to me( ie papers ) and are supportive in any way they can

zuma-xo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Often times vets disagree with raw diets because people do not properly switch their pets over and they do not feed their cats the proper kind of meat.

Dry foods are indeed easier and, if properly chosen, is very healthy for your pet. I would not trust the brands he mentioned, myself, but there are many cats who do fine on those.

I, for one, feed my ferrets raw and they are very healthy. My one was quite overweight and he is back down to a healthy weight. Their fur is a lot softer and their poop smells less.

Just make sure to do your research.

If you want to switch vets, talk to your new vet about raw before you choose that one. You want to find one that is knowledgable about your diet choice. If there is a company who provides raw meat to pets, ask them what vets they bring their pets to.

His information was not all correct, but I do believe his heart was in the right place. He probably has heard all the horror stories of those who fed raw and their pets did die because it was improper. If you wish to still go to him, have a conversation with him about where his information came from and have a discussion. Maybe you can help educate him? If not, switch!

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the "get a new vet" sentiment. Not only is he uneducated and unsupportive, but he also seems to be a bit condescending. Not good qualities in a vet.

Also, sounds to me like somebody's getting kickbacks from Purina and Iams.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just playing devil's advocate here.

Firstly, I wouldn't go all nuts about what he said. We have a long time member that did in fact lose a beloved cat from raw feeding.

Another poster mentioned that some folks switch over to raw without doing the research and therefore are not feeding a good and well-balanced diet which can do harm to your cat. This vet may have seen that happen and is erring very much on the side of caution.

Raw feeding is something that one must be very committed to and ensure they do the research to get it right. It is not for everyone that's for certain. As Sharky as often said, a lot also depends on where you get your raw meat. She gets hers from a safe place where no steroids or other things are injected into the meat.

Just something to think about before saying the vet is no good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand there are some risks to feeding raw, but they're pretty minor. Also, it's not just raw feeding-it's nutrition in general. If he can say byproducts and corn (aka Iams and Purina and all vet diets except for Wysong) as well as an all-dry diet are healthy for pets, how can I trust him to give accurate information when my cats are seriously ill? JMO

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

I understand there are some risks to feeding raw, but they're pretty minor. Also, it's not just raw feeding-it's nutrition in general. If he can say byproducts and corn (aka Iams and Purina and all vet diets except for Wysong) as well as an all-dry diet are healthy for pets, how can I trust him to give accurate information when my cats are seriously ill? JMO
Whole-heartedly agree with FattyKitty.

And I'd like to emphasize that raw diets are NOT dangerous and meats do NOT have to be special (think of all the crap that goes into commercial diets - darn near anything raw is superior).

Yes, providing a natural diet (if it's not whole prey) requires enough knowledge to balance the ingredients, but it's truly not rocket science. Once the initial calculations are made, the only requirement is to track your pet(s)' weight and adjust how much is fed accordingly - but that should be common practice anyway.

This is a great discussion, FattyKitty, thanks for starting it!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that you have another choice for a vet!

I understand the concern of "raw" diets - not the concerns that he raises - I just don't think that I would be able to provide the balanced diet with raw feeding - but, that's just me.

So, I give my cats - even the ferals I care for - the best premium food (mostly canned) I can buy - oh, AND - that they will eat.

The junk food that your Vet feeds just guarantees more sick animals for him to see, not to mention the suffering of both the animals and their caregivers.

Find another vet, by all means!

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Firstly, I wouldn't go all nuts about what he said. We have a long time member that did in fact lose a beloved cat from raw feeding.
Can I ask, how did the cat die from raw feeding?
Was it an unbalanced diet, or illness from eating raw, or?

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

See this thread beginning with post #12 and don't miss post #22:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182137

*And* don't forget the many cats that have died as the result of eating processed foods.
So.... he died from salmonella - from sneaking raw food from a neighbor cat's bowl?

0.o

Holy crap, like... that's kind of a crazy situation with tons of variables.

I dunno, as a raw feeder, I have to defend raw. My cat is THRIVING on it.

IMO, feeding raw isn't dangerous if it's fresh and properly handled. Millions of *people* eat sushi and other raw meats and foods, but you don't hear about illness from that too often, and when you do, it's generally something strange or off about the handling/freshness factor.

Then again, think about the time and preparation it takes to make sushi or some other raw meats dish - it's not in the least bit sloppy or poorly made, at least the stuff that won't make you sick isn't -- so I agree, if you don't have the time/energy to research and properly make raw diets for your pet, you probably shouldn't.

It's not super hard -- not any more hard than making dinner -- but it's not as easy as popping the top of a can, either.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

See this thread beginning with post #12 and don't miss post #22:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182137

*And* don't forget the many cats that have died as the result of eating processed foods.
And please also read post #23.

Seriously, raw feeding is wonderful but it should be undertaken with a thorough knowledge of what is required, knowing beforehand the commitment that needs to be made to research and provide quality food. It is NOT for the "too busy" individual or the ones that can't even find the time to wash food bowls before every meal. Then there are also some cats that will not eat raw.

I'm not against raw, I'm against folks who think that they can throw down a hunk of raw meat and it's good enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think that situation (tragic as it is) is proof that raw feeding is unsafe. If you feed rotting, days-old meat, it's just natural that your cat will get sick. But if you feed fresh, clean meat, the chances are low. It's happened, but it's not common. Just take common sense precautions while handling raw meat.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fattykitty

I don't think that situation (tragic as it is) is proof that raw feeding is unsafe. If you feed rotting, days-old meat, it's just natural that your cat will get sick. But if you feed fresh, clean meat, the chances are low. It's happened, but it's not common. Just take common sense precautions while handling raw meat.
And knowing what additives you need to mix in with the raw meat.