Gifts from your cat????

mrsdolittle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As most of you seem to be from the States or Canada (correct me if Im wrong here peeps) I wondered what gifts your kitty cats bring you. So I'll start.....

Cher (who lives with Nanny in Grandad in England) often brings in frogs as a present for softy Grandad and running for the hills Nanny

Prince so far hasn't brought me anything god forbid he brings a seagull in the future as we live by the sea in England- hee hee only joking the seagulls round here are the size of a small dog.

So come on cat lovers Id love to hear what things your kitty's bring from other parts of the world.....

Hugs xxxx

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jason brings us everything from lizards and dragonflies to birds and mice. Most of the things he catches he just leaves on the back patio when he's done, but he actually bothers to leave the mice on our doorstep. It's very nice

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine don't go outside, but they do kill any and every bug that gets into the house. They know better than to bring them to me though, lol. *shivers*

Charlie and Ramsey DO play fetch with me though! They find their favorite toys and drop them at my feet, then wind around my legs until I get the hint. If I don't catch on quickly enough, I get yelled at, but I've learned to pay closer attention.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine are all indoors now and can only provide me with the occasional suicidal mouse, but Hunter used to bring me squirrels.

I used to be allowed to keep food dishs at the gas station for the feral colony rather than dumping their kibble on the ground, and one morning I found a single blue jay feather. I don't know if it was a thank you gift or just left behind, but I saved it.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, our indoor/outdoor kitties bring us presents all the time. I've suggested that in the case of squirrels and rabbits, accept it as a gift, as both are good for humans to eat.

My Zane is an indoor cat, but he has brought me mice.

That is the domestic cat's ancient function. It is why our ancestors invited cats to share their home with them. Cats are carnivorous predators, or predatory carnivores if you prefer to put it that way. We should not object to them acting according to their nature.

As the late, great JRR Tolkein:

Cat
The fat cat on the mat
may seem to dream
of nice mice that suffice
for him, or cream;
but he free, maybe,
walks in thought
unbowed, proud, where loud
roared and fought
his kin, lean and slim,
or deep in den
in the East feasted on beasts
and tender men.
The giant lion with iron
claw in paw,
and huge ruthless tooth
in gory jaw;
the pard dark-starred,
fleet upon feet,
that oft soft from aloft
leaps upon his meat
where woods loom in gloom --
far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet
he does not forget.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Freya often brings me pairs of folded socks...she hunts them out of the sock drawer or the laundry hamper and presents them to me. She also hunts moths and any bugs...she kills them and comes and gets one of us to have us remove it.

Cotton once brought a decapitated mouse.

On the up-side, we've not had a single mouse in the house since we got him and in a century home, that's saying something.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the most memorable gift was brought to my mother by her blue DLH, Gulliver.

One day Mom was was lying in bed because her arthritis was acting up and she could barely move. I was in my room and heard Mom yell to get in her room. After that, I heard "Good kitty" then "Jan! Get in here!!!!!!"

Gulliver had caught and brought her a mouse and dropped it on her chest. A cute, little, baby mouse. I removed and discarded it.

Oh, meanwhile, Dad was under the covers next to Mom and snickering. Despite her pain and stiffness, Mom still managed to whack him a good one.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I am not in the US or Canada and my cats are all outdoor/indoor. Gifts from my beloved "children" include lizards, rats, mice, birds, frogs, butterflies, cockroaches, bees, earthworms, moths, and most recently due to the rains the noisy cicadas.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I lived in Texas, my (OTB) manx cat Max would bring me tails from the small lizards that lived down there. Their tails would fall off easily if pulled too hard (they would grow back), and Max had a fascination with tails (seeing that he didn't have one of his own).

One of my dear cats left a mouse under DH's pillow one day, which he didn't find until the middle of the night. Another tried to tuck a dead mouse into my briefcase one day. Good thing I found it before I flipped the flap shut and carried it into work.

My dogs on the other hand have brought me bunnies, birds and frogs.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Smokey (RIP) used to bring us mice. Sometimes they were no longer live & sometimes they were still alive (my mom hated these gifts).

My current cats don't go outside & being on the second floor we have never had any critters. THe gifts I get are often their toys in my bed at night. It was very common when Isaac was little I would wake up with 6or 7 sparkle balls in my bed. Jordan now brings a variety of toys into my bed room. Some in the bed, the rest on the floor at the foot of my bed. Apparently he feels I should be playing in the middle of the night????

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ollie sometimes brings me his poop. He's a sweety, but not the brightest cat out there. He'll just bring it up onto my bed in his mouth and drop it on my comforter. Yay.

Other than that, nothing.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was JUST chased back into my house by my lovely Miss Kitty & the half-dead vole in her mouth
She usually doesn't bring them home to us, just brings them home to show us then eats them (everything except the stomach!). We expect about 2 a day, she's a pretty voracious hunter!

My old cat Riki
used to bring me home birds & let them go in the house
I don't know if she was trying to teach me, or just save them for later. She was so good we had a bell on her collar but she used to walk with her shoulder over top of it so it wouldn't jingle! She never caught song birds, only sparrows.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Ollie sometimes brings me his poop. He's a sweety, but not the brightest cat out there. He'll just bring it up onto my bed in his mouth and drop it on my comforter. Yay.

Lucky you!
If he isn't a very good hunter I guess that's all he has to bring you. It is sweet of him, but ewww.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ohhh... niiiice!

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I hope he's not also one of those cats that likes to lick you on your face!

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only, so they don't bring me any creatures. None of them really bring me anything. Pooch fetches, and he drops his toy in front of me so I could toss it for him to trot after. Rinse and repeat. I like to think that he thinks of it as a "hunting session". He "hunts" his toy to bring back to me because he loves me. Ha! I like believing that.

pilot8569

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Bucky bring me live birds, doesn't hurt them, but holds them in her mouth on the back deck and will just sit there and wait for me. She wants to bring them into the house which is not going to happen, but I appreciate her donation to the food supply. Sometimes I feed her some chicken that night so she thinks we are eating the bird. The birds will fly away once I get her to release it. I am just amazed she doesn't hurt them.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fuzzy (RIP) left the biggest ground squirrel I'd ever seen on the driveway next to where DH parks. Fuzzy favored DH, so I know the gift was intended for him. DH wasn't home, but there was a man working in the yard that day and I asked him to please dispose of the ground squirrel. He carried it away on a shovel and threw it in the woods. Fuzzy watched and didn't look happy. When DH got home that evening, he found that the dead ground squirrel had mysteriously reappeared, in the same spot it was in before. DH gave it a proper burial to prevent it from coming back.

Now we have indoor cats, and Daisy hunts and brings me DH's socks. I stay up late watching TV and she'll steal a sock, carry it up the hall (meowing all the way) and put it somewhere near me (like on my slipper). One night, I got up to go to the bathroom and came back to find DH's sock on my pillow!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just this morning Jordan was kind enough to bring me at least 2 sparkle balls. I like to think it's because he thinks I want to play, but the truth is I know it is because he is trying to demand I play with him.