ORDERED to feed nothing but dry and water

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(This is both food and health issue)

OK - this is really pissing me off. I have been ORDERED by our rescue director to put the fosters on dry and water ... only using wet to give pills, etc. She is adamant that the wet is causing their poo problem.

I have five cats with routinely soft, watery, lighter colored poo. They live communally. I have one cat sequestered from the rest. HE EATS THE SAME THING THE OTHER CATS DO.... AND HE HAS NOOOO POOOO PROBLEMS!!! In fact his is a little dry so I have started to give him Petromalt.

The five communal fosters were on 250 mg Albon each for a week. Their poo got better but the problem didn't clear up.

This leads to beleive that the five who share litter pans are also sharing something communicable. The "carrier" IMHO was Archie - fluffy black cat who came in with a stinky behind, really bad smelly gas and really soft poo.

One of our vets did agree to put the cats back on Albon for 10 days this time to see if that is the iusse.

If these were MY cats, I would take Arch to have a poo culture done. They take a swab from the rectum, as I understand it. Determine the bacteria problem, then attack it with the right drug instead of playing musical antibiotics.

Can the wet food - they are getting approx 2 oz per cat per day... 2 larger cans for six cats...cause the really soft stool?

I posted something similar in cat health and no one really answered.

I can tell you that I won't foster again. I don't like this one bit.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question, but I know there are a number of TCS people who feed only wet. I'm sure they would have mentioned at some point if there was a problem with diarrhea.

The manager at the shelter where I volunteer has the same mindset as yours. The kittens in the communal room all had diarrhea and she was convinced it was because some of the volunteers were sneaking them wet food. It turns out it was coccidia, which we are gradually getting under control with medication, but she still won't allow wet food.

The funny thing is, there is one cat in the room who has not had diarrhea, probably because she is kept caged away from the others (she beats up any other cat she sees). She was very malnourished when she came in and has been getting wet food to "fatten her up". Okay, that's the opposite of what I thought as well--that dry food would cause more weight gain than wet.

If you are fostering the kittens in your home, can you go ahead and feed what you feel is best for them? How would the rescue director know? Or do they provide the food for the kittens?

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know there are a number of TCS people who feed only wet. I'm sure they would have mentioned at some point if there was a problem with diarrhea.

The manager at the shelter where I volunteer has the same mindset as yours. The kittens in the communal room all had diarrhea and she was convinced it was because some of the volunteers were sneaking them wet food. It turns out it was coccidia, which we are gradually getting under control with medication, but she still won't allow wet food.

The funny thing is, there is one cat in the room who has not had diarrhea, probably because she is kept caged away from the others (she beats up any other cat she sees). She was very malnourished when she came in and has been getting wet food to "fatten her up". Okay, that's the opposite of what I thought as well--that dry food would cause more weight gain than wet.

If you are fostering the kittens in your home, can you go ahead and feed what you feel is best for them? How would the rescue director know? Or do they provide the food for the kittens?
Exactly... how would the director know? Just make sure there is only dry out and visible if she comes over and never mention it... I have never heard of wet food causing diarrhea. Sounds kinda dumb if you ask me!

And instead of just not fostering again, why don't you foster for another organization? There are sooo many that are looking for foster homes right now, you could just try until you find one that you agree with and like. If you have the ability to foster, go for it. You will be helping little lives, as I'm sure you know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

[/color][/color]

I know - this is "old school" thinking. I sent her articles. She blew them and me off. What makes me mad is that she thinks I don't know anything. Yes, I am not going to foster for her anymore. I think I will start looking around for a different rescue to support. Or maybe just go back to cleaning the cages at the adoption center on Friday nights and that's it. Honestly, these fosters are in my condo, which I am desperate to put on the market. But I couldn't bear to see these guys killed b/c of a terrible policy at a local county AC.

You're right I can just feed what I want. So far I have not gotten any support for food and litter. But that is my choice - since the rescue is so hard up for money. I said "reimburse me when the animals find homes."

I know another foster who is also feeling like she is not getting good support from the "home office." But I will only foster for a so-called "no kill" rescue. I know, I know - killing happens, but I don't want to be a direct party to it.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted in the other thread today, but I'll go ahead and echo the same sentiment here: It's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission. That being said, she doesn't have to know anything about what you feed those cats. I'm not sure about your foster agency, but the one I foster for basically gave me the dog (I know, not cat, but still) and expects me to take care of him to the best of my ability until he finds a home. They offered me food, which I promptly sent back because I feed my other dog a grain free diet and Harley should be on the same. If you're paying for their food and their lodging, then it really boggles my mind to think that someone would actually chastize you for your good deeds, saying that you're doing it wrong!

This is what I would do: Don't change their food. What happens when you change a cat's food? I can hear the echoes now: DIARRHEA. VOMITING. You know exactly what the problem is and it ain't the food. So, take them to the vet. There is no lone watchman outside your condo, waiting for you to whisk them away in the dead of night to get proper care so that he can report back to the agency. Take them to the vet and get the proper treatment. What this woman doesn't know won't hurt her- or irritate the heck out of you.

In the meantime, give them some canned pumkin (not pie mix, pure pumpkin) to munch on-it'll firm their stools. Give them some cottage cheese to replace their electrolytes, but don't give too much; some cats are lactose intolerant. And find out who her superior is; I'm sure they'll be very interested to hear about how they're going to lose at least one generous foster parent because of her ignorance. As someone who works diligently for a rescue, I would advise that you find out who the Board of Directors for this place is and call their President.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't give up on fostering! I've heard of a few groups like the one you are fostering for now, but there are so many more that aren't like that. There is such a need for people like you who can devote so much time to a cat and then let it go even though it's impossible to not fall in love.

The soft stools could be the result of the Albon, a good probiotic is usualy a good idea after a course of any antibiotic as they kill the good bacteria in the intestinal tract as well as the bad.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer bookworm and iheartstrays. She IS the rescue. This is HER rescue not some large organization like the ASPCA. There is a board of Dirs, per the 501c3 but she's the boss of us essentially.

Yes, I know the Albon can cause soft poos.. I got probiotics for the cats - still giving it to them. It's Nature's essence or animal essentials or something like that. This guy who owns a pet store nearby which carries the higher end, better quality foods says he gives it to his own kitties. Has dig. enzymes and prebiotics in it, too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll often meet up with people like that. Do what you think is right and just don't discuss it with her.

To give you an example of my experience - 2 evenings ago our neighbours were on the street with their kids teaching them to ride a bicycle (we live on a very quiet street). The parents came up to our deck to chat and were talking about their 2 cats (that they allow to run freely in the neighbourhood
) and that one has to have a tooth pulled. The female said she couldn't understand why at only 2 years old it would have a bad tooth since she doesn't feed wet food. I told her that wet food was healthier and that cats don't chew so dry food does nothing for their teeth to which she replied "well, whatever". Guess she didn't believe me.
She said she fed Iams which I then said wasn't the best food out there and that I stopped going to the local vet because he said he had studied nutrition and then promptly told me Hills Science Diet was good food.
Her hubby then said she used to work at that vet clinic. Now, imagine my surprise that she used to work there and has no knowledge of food or how a cat's jaws work and basically just poo-poo'd what I said. Ignorance is alive and well and unfortunately will probably remain so.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like she's going to lose a lot of fosters this way. She'll learn her lesson eventually; whether it's from her experience with you or someone else. Rest assured that someday, she will meet her match.

In the meantime, do what you know is right for the cats. If she wanted to have a hand in every single thing that happens to these animals, she should have opened a shelter, not a foster agency. She should consider herself lucky to have a foster parent who is so intelligent and invested as you are.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iheartstrays

Sounds to me like she's going to lose a lot of fosters this way. She'll learn her lesson eventually; whether it's from her experience with you or someone else. Rest assured that someday, she will meet her match.

In the meantime, do what you know is right for the cats. If she wanted to have a hand in every single thing that happens to these animals, she should have opened a shelter, not a foster agency. She should consider herself lucky to have a foster parent who is so intelligent and invested as you are.
Thank you. That is very kind. She has been doing this for 20 years, but duration does not mean you are well informed and up-to-date on everything in terms of nutrition and care. I also feel often as though I am left hanging -especially with the fosters. I won't do this again for her. I am getting a little insight as to why we cannot seem to hang onto foster homes.

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You feed a medicine that causes soft stools and the blame is put the the wet food?
Imo, she should be thanking you for giving these cats happy homes, not criticizing because you realize dry is not good for their health.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Thank you. That is very kind. She has been doing this for 20 years, but duration does not mean you are well informed and up-to-date on everything in terms of nutrition and care. I also feel often as though I am left hanging -especially with the fosters. I won't do this again for her. I am getting a little insight as to why we cannot seem to hang onto foster homes.
I don't blame you one bit. Move on to a place where you'll be more appreciated.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shelter politics are the death of many wonderful volunteers - as often people in rescue aren't "people people", but rather in it for the animals.

I would continue the Albon for 10 days, has a fecal ever been done? Not that it necessarily is a "sure bet", as coccidia or giardia could be alive in their systems yet not show in a fecal.

Have you considered also trying a food (vet diet) called Science Diet I/D? I've had kitties who've had loose stool issues, and while *not* a high quality food - it's helped with the runs greatly. We use it all the time at the shelter for cats who have loose stools, or coccidia/giardia. I've often mixed it with another higher quality food for fosters. It comes in both dry & canned.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I can say from my own experience, that this woman's assertion that wet causes diarrhea is ridiculous!!! My baby girl eats wet daily (and some dry)..primarily wet in fact and her poops are healthy and normal and regular! No litterbox problems, healthy kitty. I agree with those who say do what you want and don't tell her. I'd feel the same way about you as wanting to foster elsewhere from now on. It sounds like a week of antibiotics was not long enough either.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While i do agree with feeding wet, i am not quite sure it's doesn't run through some cats, i have encountered this alot with mine... some wets get better results so i am always watching lol

good luck hopefully you can find a compromise of some sort

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the wet food that you're feeding doesn't agree with the kitten? Maybe you can change to another brand?
I agree with everyone else, there is no point in discussing it with the vet and if I were you I'd do what I think is right, so I'd be feeding both wet and dry.
Jake used to have soft stools from eating wet food period when he was a kitten. They weren't too soft to be considered diarrhea just a tiny bit softer than usual and when they hardened in the litter box didn't look any different so I never worried about it, and now he eats both wet and dry and his poops are normal. But if it comes down to it, maybe you can decrease the amount of wet food you're feeding to a minimum and see if stools are normal, and if they are not soft, then gradually start increasing it over time starting with just a tablespoon or two per day.

efrost6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, girls, I'm sure someone has already mentioned by now. It's not the wet food. We feed our kittie nothing but wet with the occasional treats. The poop is actually less rancid than when we feed him dry. Just a thought!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Archie - the one cat I am most concerned about - had really bad D last Tuesday night and some of it got on the floor. I emailed the director and said please don't tell me it's the wet - they each get approx 2 oz per cat per day... and they are not drinking enough water, IMO, given how much water I dump ( refreshed 2x daily.). So she arranged for more antibiotics... and requested a fecal. Here is the thing - I did TWO fecals on Archie... took it upon myself and PAID for it. Both neg. She said oh you shouldn't have done that... they won't show anything.. you could test till the cows come home... Dont bother taking him in.. what's the vet going to do, LOOK at him????

Now - six weeks into this mess - she is taking about follow up and lab work if the fecal is neg, etc. Sheesh. If this was my cat, it would be found out and frinkin' cleared up by now!

I got another round of Albon for them. I am having to feed PS's house brand - Authority - b/c a time will come in the near future that some or all of these guys will go into our adoption center and that's what they will eat.

But I am trying an experiment. I purchased Authority's "sensitive solutions"... It still has grain in it - oatmeal - but is free of corn, wheat and beef. They seem to be tolerating it quite well... I still have some icky poops... but had a nearly perfect poo from another cat - Jakie.

So Albon, plus probiotics, plus a dry with fewer intolerance issues, PLUS a pet fountain.....

Can't wait for the fecal report on Monday. Bet it's neg! OK - then what?

Can you tell that I am frustrated!?????