TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › NFL reinstates Michael Vick ..... for real???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFL reinstates Michael Vick ..... for real??? - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
As for the police "harrassing" people with criminal records, I think perhaps they are all too aware and close to the fact that many of those criminals get out of jail and get right back into the bad stuff. In fact, many of them have learned how to hone their craft while in jail/prison so they can practice it more efficiently.
Actually statistics show that a big majority of people commit crimes when it comes to misdemeanors such as doing drugs, shoplifting, it's a matter of who gets caught that determines who will get labeled as a criminal. And most people who get caught are unfortunately the poor and disadvantaged, they are scape goats for the police and it happens this way due to racial and other type of profiling based on stereotypes. I know most of my white upper class friends did more drugs and had more parties where parents bought them alcohol but never got caught, now are in college and will probably get good job and become part of the upper class just like their parents. On the other hand many poor kids get targeted for doing drugs even if they do it less frequently due to less $$ and they get labeled as criminals and have to live that life....
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I think thiefs should be made to work the money they make given to everyone they stole from So yea Bernie Madoff should be forced to work while his salary going to everyone else for the rest of his life..
Ok, that makes sense. So Vick can get signed on with a NFL team and get the enormous salary that is "normal" for him. But, 95% of that salary would have to go to care for the animals he hurt and to animal rescues. After all, he "stole" the lives and health of those dogs and that's priceless.

He can keep 5% to pay for groceries and modest living arrangements. That sounds fair to me.
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Actually statistics show that a big majority of people commit crimes when it comes to misdemeanors such as doing drugs, shoplifting, it's a matter of who gets caught that determines who will get labeled as a criminal. And most people who get caught are unfortunately the poor and disadvantaged, they are scape goats for the police and it happens this way due to racial and other type of profiling based on stereotypes. I know most of my white upper class friends did more drugs and had more parties where parents bought them alcohol but never got caught, now are in college and will probably get good job and become part of the upper class just like their parents. On the other hand many poor kids get targeted for doing drugs even if they do it less frequently due to less $$ and they get labeled as criminals and have to live that life....
I have to ask a question, and please don't take this as an attack because it's not meant to be. But, how much experience have you had personally with law enforcement? I'm asking because you seem to have a grudge against police and how they do their jobs. I just was curious if there was a story behind it (don't need to share it, yes or no will do fine) or if it's just personal opinion based on stories you've heard or read about.
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I have to ask a question, and please don't take this as an attack because it's not meant to be. But, how much experience have you had personally with law enforcement? I'm asking because you seem to have a grudge against police and how they do their jobs. I just was curious if there was a story behind it (don't need to share it, yes or no will do fine) or if it's just personal opinion based on stories you've heard or read about.
I must admit I wondered this myself. I was thinking that perhaps you had had an incident that has attributed to your negative feelings. As a law-abiding citizen, I have to say that even when police were called to parties I was a guest at, I have never been treated with anything but respect. At these parties there were people of every colour, race and creed and never was there an issue.
post #35 of 51
He served his sentence, so what? What about the fact that children who treat animals the same way he treated those dogs are labeled sociopaths? Does this same idea not apply to adults? Especially seeing that adults are MORE capable of understanding right vs. wrong?

It's not so much that he owned a dog fighting kennel; it's more to the point that he actively participated in some gruesome acts of VIOLENCE against those animals.

Children who do those things (and have been caught) are sometimes put into programs, because it's known that if they continue to go down that path, they are more likely to become sociopaths. (Nothing is definite, I do realize this.)
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I have to ask a question, and please don't take this as an attack because it's not meant to be. But, how much experience have you had personally with law enforcement? I'm asking because you seem to have a grudge against police and how they do their jobs. I just was curious if there was a story behind it (don't need to share it, yes or no will do fine) or if it's just personal opinion based on stories you've heard or read about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I must admit I wondered this myself. I was thinking that perhaps you had had an incident that has attributed to your negative feelings. As a law-abiding citizen, I have to say that even when police were called to parties I was a guest at, I have never been treated with anything but respect. At these parties there were people of every colour, race and creed and never was there an issue.
I actually don't have any experience besides 1 speeding ticket lol...my family doesn't either, I don't know anyone who's actually been to jail.. But the way I feel is because of sociology studies that I've read in the couple of sociology classes that I've taken. I am thinking of going into social work (not decided yet because I still have a year as an undergrad and I might change my mind) so that's why I'm really interesting in this stuff..I don't have a grudge I just think it's sad that some people who could potentially be rehabililtated are antagonized further ...Lol I am a sucker when it comes to the poor and disadvantaged and I think a lot of time people blame the victims and don't understand the whole story..
post #37 of 51
Here's a book more of us should read:

Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL

And a similar book could be written for the NBA and MLB.

But I agree with what someone else said; if you've shown that your are capable of purposely hurting another person or being, you should be on a short leash the rest of your life.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I am a sucker when it comes to the poor and disadvantaged and I think a lot of time people blame the victims and don't understand the whole story..
But Mr. Vick is neither poor, nor misadvantaged. There's no logical reason for him to do what he did, it was cruelty for the sake of cruelty... he wasn't stealing bread to feed his family.
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
That's the way it should be, but here in GA with evreything availiable to the general public at the click of a mouse there are parolee's arrested for relatively small offenses who will never hold a decent job again.
It is called "parole violations". Let me ask you a question, if you were a business owner, would you hire an ex-con? Perhaps, just perhaps the person that committed the crime should have thought about the future consequences before committing the crime. I will save my sympathy for the VICTIM of the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
Yes!! I have tried and tried to convey this on other threads as well, when it comes to the police force and how many problems there are with the treatment of delinquents both in the jails and on the streets, forcing people to confess to things they haven't even done and offering them a deal because they've once been labeled as "criminal" so it's only common sense for them to have done the crime. So there is no way of escaping that label once it's there no matter what you do. Police will always be after you and you won't be able to hold a job....It's the way it is. And the whole parole system is just CRAP I hate it...It ruins people's lives rather than rehabilitating them. Anyways I was shocked how many people responded to me when I said this before that I should be thankful to have the police and they do just a magnificent job...Lol I am glad there is someone out there who shares my beliefs..And yea with this you can see where I'm coming from when it comes to Vick even though he has done terrible things I am not going to say he should be denied basic rights to have a job that he is well qualified for, and especially a job that requires the type of skill that not everyone has and requires a long process of being recruited, etc.
Please refer to above post I made in reply to Bookworm.

My advice to you is to get out and experience life yourself and don't rely so heavily on what you read in a Sociology textbook. Believe me, real life trumps a textbook any day of the week.
post #40 of 51
I will have to go get the article but I was reading this morning that no one in the NFL really wants Vick. Why bad press and protests are feared.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...s_N.htm?csp=34
post #41 of 51
I personally feel that people who serve their time should be allowed back into society. And I also personally feel that regardless of crime, everyone is worthy of forgiveness. HOWEVER, I do not feel that people who have committed such heinous crimes should be able to re-enter a high-paying celebrated career, and I do not think that forgiveness automatically demands forgetting. If the NFL has decided to allow Vick back as a player, it says to me that the NFL condones the type of disgusting behavior that Vick mastermined. As for remorse etc....well, he was unwilling to show any remorse or take any responsibility until he was completely sold out by his co-conspirators, a clear sign to me that his remorse is not genuine. Given that he did what he did as a prime celebrity high-paid NFL star, I can only assume his operation was a true joy to him. And I will not continue to support a league that continues to support such a person - for me it is that simple. Spending some time in prison can not treat or help the mental illness someone like Vick must have. Perhaps I would feel differntly if he had undergone some radical and ongoing psychiatric treatment, but even then, I do not think he should be able to be a front-and-centre athlete, it is damaging to our children to have him celebrated. If the NFL wants to consider themselves a family league, a community league, they need to recognize that to many many people, dogs are part of the family, and a valued part of our community.
post #42 of 51
I think we all need to remember that in addition to forcing the dogs to fight to the death, Vick and his buddies also tortured and killed dogs they did not want any more by hanging and electrocution.
post #43 of 51
In some ways I believe in the idea of an eye for an eye. Therefore what Vick did to those poor dogs should have been done to him. Im a harsh person but when it comes to animal abuse I have no tolerence, animals cant speak for themselves, so we have to be voices for them. He should not be allowed to play football. Instead lets have him clean out the stadiums after the games? Any team who does choose to pick Vick......will get me and my angry mob protesting
post #44 of 51
I'm a HUGE Bears fan, but if ANY team in the NFL picks up Vick, no more NFL in my house. I've already warned my husband that we will not be watching any NFL this fall if he's picked up by a team. I don't think he believes me.
post #45 of 51
Is Vick still begging for a contract? I haven't heard that anyone has signed him.

I'm sure his local animal shelter would welcome him as a pooper scooper volunteer.
post #46 of 51
Reports say that some teams are interested, but that's all coming out of his camp. There's no telling what will happen, but I'm sure this thread will see an update the minute it happens.
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
I'm a HUGE Bears fan, but if ANY team in the NFL picks up Vick, no more NFL in my house. I've already warned my husband that we will not be watching any NFL this fall if he's picked up by a team. I don't think he believes me.
I feel the same way.
post #48 of 51
Just heard. Vick signed 2 yr. contract with Philadelphia Eagles.

Anyone want to start an email campaign?
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
Just heard. Vick signed 2 yr. contract with Philadelphia Eagles.

Anyone want to start an email campaign?
I'm too angry to do anything right this moment other than cry.

As I said elsewhere, if he had just provided money to the kennel, that's one thing. But he was involved in the acts of cruelty and slaughter towards the dogs. THAT makes him, in my eyes, a sociopath. Jeffrey Dahmer killed and tortured animals too.
post #50 of 51
I think that Karma is going to come back to him. Any football fan with a dog/pets is not going to be giving him any huggs any time soon. I am waiting to see what happens.
post #51 of 51
I am very disappointed that this creep found a team that will sign him on. But I am even more disappointed at how the sports journalists are letting themselves be led around by their noses by PeTA. Once again, the media *****s at PeTA have elbowed their way in front of the microphone and camera to act as if they deserve credit for having had any part in getting those poor dogs away from this creep. And anyone who steps up now and expresses outrage that Vick can go back to making millions gets lumped in with the PeTA looney bin now that they' put their stamp on it. Do these journalists not realize that dogfighting is a crime in all 50 states and a felony in many? And that normal people witha sense of decency find what he did abhorrent? Cripes there are no shortage of jobs that you cannot get if you have been convicted of a felony, but I guess the NFL is a haven for people with criminal records.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › NFL reinstates Michael Vick ..... for real???