Overly nervous to leave my girls!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This weekend the BF and I are going to a wedding that is about 10 hours away. We are leaving Friday early in the morning and will be getting back on Monday evening. So, it's pretty much 4 whole days away from home.

This will be the longest I've left the cats since we got them a year and a half ago. I think the longest we've left them before is 2 nights, but not three full days. I haven't left them alone for a night since last summer.

My mom will be coming daily to check on them, give them their wet food, clean their box, etc. I, of course, will be calling mom daily to see how my girls are. I will be leaving the number of the Emergency vet, of course, as well as making sure that there is always a way to get hold of me.

I know it's irrational, but I'm so anxious about leaving them. First, I'm worried that they'll be bored and miss us. Second, I'm scared that something will happen to them while we're gone. I worry about them, even if we're gone for longer than usual during the day. My boyfriend is going to think I'm nuts when I tear up when we leave Friday morning, but I feel like I'm abandoning my babies. If they were more laid back, I'd take them with me in a heartbeat.

Does anyone else feel super anxious when they have to leave their cats for a period of time?

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get nervous when I go to the Grocery store, much less 4 days! But I think it's for different reasons. I'm afraid there won't be a house left by the time I get back!

But my babies are always fine when I get back, and though my living room is usually a little worse for wear, they haven't managed to completely destroy anything worse than a roll of toilet paper.

Don't worry, they'll be just fine. Actually, they'll be taking their own little mini-vaction too! Kitties need some time alone. You know, kinda like when you're home alone and you dance around in your undies.
you'll get back and they'll be happy to see you, but they'll be laughing on the inside because of all the stuff they got away with while Meowmy was gone.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you mean. I was a mess to even go on my honeymoon! Your fur kids will be ok. Who better to watch them than your mom? Maybe buy a special treat she can give them when she comes over. Something they rarely get. That will help you calm down and drop the guilt meter down a point or two. Cats are not that needy. They have eachother. So, go and have a good time. Mom has it under control!!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

This weekend the BF and I are going to a wedding that is about 10 hours away. We are leaving Friday early in the morning and will be getting back on Monday evening. So, it's pretty much 4 whole days away from home.

This will be the longest I've left the cats since we got them a year and a half ago. I think the longest we've left them before is 2 nights, but not three full days. I haven't left them alone for a night since last summer.

My mom will be coming daily to check on them, give them their wet food, clean their box, etc. I, of course, will be calling mom daily to see how my girls are. I will be leaving the number of the Emergency vet, of course, as well as making sure that there is always a way to get hold of me.

I know it's irrational, but I'm so anxious about leaving them. First, I'm worried that they'll be bored and miss us. Second, I'm scared that something will happen to them while we're gone. I worry about them, even if we're gone for longer than usual during the day. My boyfriend is going to think I'm nuts when I tear up when we leave Friday morning, but I feel like I'm abandoning my babies. If they were more laid back, I'd take them with me in a heartbeat.

Does anyone else feel super anxious when they have to leave their cats for a period of time?
BOY I know that feeling!!!!! Just know that you're not alone....but also know that your cats will be fine
I have to tell myself that same thing and just like you, and with my dogs too (and especially actually) I hate to be gone too many hours on a Saturday b/c it doesn't seem fair! You're definitely not nuts--I can relate to the tears!!

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely understand where you're coming from. When Hubby and I went out of state to buy a vehicle and visit some of his family, I was a wreck. I AM one of those people would would take my kits on overnight trips with us, but since we moved back home after he was discharged from the Army, we hadn't really gone on any trips that required us to stay overnight.

Combine that with the facts that: 1) My little girl needs daily medication, 2) the boys would have destroyed the house in our absence and 3) the trip was planned to happen right after the beginning of TORNADO season here in Oklahoma, and I was an absolute MESS.

We ended up boarding everyone at the Vet's and they couldn't have been happier about it. Cleo got a break from the boys, Albert got a break from his younger, thinner, more active brothers, Ramsey got to annoy the nurses and Charlie got to soak up all the love and attention that they give him when he comes in for appointments- times 20! It eased my mind quite a bit to know that if anything happened, it would be immediately addressed by a healthcare professional.

I hope knowing that you're absolutely not alone in this eases your fears a little bit. Caring so much that it has you this worked up shows you're a good mommy!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hear you! ...but my routine is so, well, routine, that I feel badly on the nights I get home a few hours late (like maybe twice a month). The night I got home at midnight from a concert I was actually apologizing to them when they were waiting as I hoped the door. I haven't been away from home over night yet -I'm sure I'll be a wreck.

But, it does sound like you have all the bases more than covered, so try to relax so the little ones don't pick up your stress levels.

I was thinking maybe get mom a special treat as well for coming over to take care of your babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Tomorrow's the day we leave. I spend a little extra cuddle time with both of them this morning before getting out of bed. I'll make sure to spend some extra time with them this evening before bed as well, since we'll be leaving fairly early tomorrow morning.

I think Delilah can sense that something is up...she's been extra cuddly this week. She's not usually one to come to you for pets or cuddles, but this week, she's been hopping right up to me, sleeping on my pillow, etc. Belle is her usual needy and loudmouth self. I am sure she will start telling me about it when I bring the suitcase out a little later on to pack.

The worst part will be leaving. My girls have a nice way of guilt tripping me on the way out the door. I'll put their CatDVD on for them to distract them and keep them entertained for the first day at least.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always think of it like it's not really four days!

You're there on Friday morning so you'll see them so that's like half a day away, then you're going to see them Monday evening and so Monday doesn't even count! So it's really just Saturday and Sunday that you're not going to see them, and that's like if it was hot and the cats were hiding downstairs (or they were outside for most of the day) and you didn't see them for most of the day. And if they can't go 2 evenings with out you being there they don't deserve to call themselves cats!

Enjoy your wedding! The cats will be just fine on their own

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, we've been on the road for 24 hours now. I miss my babies. Last night by boyfriend opened the hotel door, and I was of course looking to make sure that cats (who obviously aren't here) didn't sneak out.

My mom went over last night and she said that they were fine. They came out when she first came and put the food out, but other than that, they likely stayed under the futon. They don't much enjoy visitors (we don't get enough of them to realize that they can actually get pets from them!).

Is it weird that I keep trying to send them "mental messages" telling them I love them and miss them! And, of course, to be good!

I suppose this is why I got two cats this time. So that they didn't get lonely when I'm gone. However, I made them into big mommy's girls!