How soon can she be "fixed"??

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Micha is a rescued stray - got her as a severely malnourished kitten. As we apparently misread her actual age, she managed to get pregnant before I had her fixed. She had a litter of 4, but only one survived.

My vet here in Chihuahua suggested that we let her nurse the kitten for 6 to 8 weeks before neuturing. When I brought her, she then said that she preferred for her milk to dry up before operating. So I gave little Zack to his new owner (he is doing VERY well with her!), as I had to go out of town.

I arrived yesterday, just a few days beyond the three-week limit with plans to bring her first thing this morning. BUT!!!!!

I arrived to find her NURSING FIVE NEWBORN KITTENS!!! When I left, she had gained weight, but I figured she was just regaining the weight she lost while nursing! So anyways, it became apparent that it really is a complete MYTH that cats don't get pregnant while nursing!! Micha, then, got pregnant a mere month after giving birth.

The good news is that this litter seems VERY healthy, feisty little fur balls with clear noses and eyelids. The complication: Micha is an exclusively outdoor cat. (It would take too long to explain all the reasons why, please believe me that it is necessary, and avoid responding with suggestions to keep her inside...). So, then, what is the earliest I can have her fixed?

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they often get in heat about on the third week...

they CAN be spayed while nursing. the nursing will usually go on after one day.

Most vets avoid this, but it is sometimes done in emergency. And usually there a no big problems.

Another solution is to spay her later - accepting the risk the spaying is also an abortion. Medically this is no big deal for an decent skilled vet.

Although, there are some vets who refuse to spay while nursing, and also refuse to do spaying and abortions. In these cases there are a lot of unwelcome litters. We had a couple of examples here on forums....

The only remedy is to find another vet.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a stray spayed when the kittens were about 3 weeks old (long story) with no ill effects. It's safer to wait til they're done nursing, because of the risk of them damaging the stitchs with kneading, but it sounds as if yours is too fertile to risk that. I think Stefan is right, if you don't find another vet you will always have kittens.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! Your story sounds pretty similar to mine! My advice is also to find another vet! It just astounds me that vets go to school supposedly for the well being of the animals, but then so many refuse to actually do any help! If you can't bring Micha inside, is there at least some way to contain her? do you have a large dog kennel? If you don't then that is fine, we all have to make due with what we have, but it is a suggestion. Confining her for the week before you want to get her spayed could help prevent pregnancy.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

It just astounds me that vets go to school supposedly for the well being of the animals, but then so many refuse to actually do any help! .
I suspect a lot of it has to do with liability issues, some spays are a bit more risky and complex, and some vets are unwilling to take that risk. Some are just old school, it used to be done this way, so it should always be done this way. Given the chooice I prefer to wait to take a cat for sterilization until 6 months, and when they are not in heat, nursing or whatever, but when you deal with strays and ferals it's a matter of catching them when they can be caught, not what is preferable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a plan! Talking with the vet, and given that she seems to be quite fertile... we decided to have her fixed after nursing the current litter for one month. That will give an uninterrupted month of nursing for the babies, and even if for any reason mom won't or can't nurse them after the surgery, it will be possible to go with kitten glop from a little dish by then. We talked about even doing it right away, but as much as I would enjoy it, I really wouldn't be able to hand feed five babies for the next month!

I'm glad she was able to be flexible - I'm happy not to have to change vet!

Thanks for the suggestions!