Can someone please help?

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
I am brand new here, and am looing for some help.. I have 2 siamese cats..Lucie (2 yrs ) and Frankie (almost 5 months )

Frankie is new.. I have had her for 1.5 weeks.. They get along great.. always playing, Lucie cleans Frankie, sleeping together..

Yesterday I noticed Lucie acting strange.. very lethargic.. she seems almost sad.. I dont know how else to decribe the way she is acting.. she has not drank any water today.. and only ate last night when I opened a can of tuna for her not knowing what else to do.. today she is hiding under a chair that she barely fits under.. and wont come out.. she seems to be kind of coughing.. (I got her hairball remedy today and gave it to her just in case) and is sitting in an odd way like she cannot get comfortable..

I am taking her to the vet at 8am, as all vet offices are closed now..
I have been googling everything possible.. I found this site and you guys have seemed to give alot of good advice.. So i was hoping someone could help me..

Thank you so much.
Sarah
ps. she is not the kind of cat that eats strange things... i really do not think it is possible that she injested anything bad.. (but i am sure it is not impossible)

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have just gone through some of this myself recently. What really seemed to be the problem with Diamond is a bad tooth, so he wasn't eating, he was hiding away etc. He was drinking however. It is very hard to tell from your description, many cats will hide anytime they don't feel well. I hope everything turns out OK. Let us know!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah,
Call your vet office - they should have a recording with a phone number for an emergency clinic - IMO this cat needs to see a doctor tonight, if at all possible.
If your vet doesn't have that information on the recording, call another vet in the area, until you find one.
Are you in an urban area?Do you need help in finding an E-vet?

ETA: Also, do whatever you need to do to have her eat again - anything at all; tuna is fine... It is imperative for her to eat, as she can develop Fatty Liver Disease, very serious disease, that can be lethal. She needs to get calories into her body... Can you please let us know if she will eat Tuna?

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry I can'y help much.

Originally Posted by sarielynn

I am taking her to the vet at 8am, as all vet offices are closed now.
I think that is a good idea. I understand if they stop eating or drinking for 24 hours that they should go to the vet.

A year and a half ago, our "tuxedo cat" Morgan stopped eating, I took her to the vet. Her liver levels were out of wack and the kept her there and fed her intravenously (sp?).

She came around and has been in good health but it was a good thing she went in when she did.

I hope things turn out as well, there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just gave her some tuna again, and she ate it.. I also let her drink all of the juice from it.. i thought it might be a good idea because she hasnt had a drink of water today..

The breeder I got her from said to try and give her mineral oil.. incase it is a hairball.. or something else bad she ate to help it pass.. I added this to the tuna and she ate it..

I was told to check the colour of her gums and her lower eyelids to make sure they were the proper colour.. and they are fine..

Could this new kitten be making my cat sick somehow?

I am going to the vet as soon as it opens tomorrow morning..

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the new kitten checked by the vet before you brought him home? Did the vet tell you to bring both cats in now for check-up?

All I can suggest is to write down everything you noticed about Lucie (when she started acting different, what she ate, how she pee'd and poo'd, if she did), bring a poo sample in if you can, and try to stay calm, so she doesn't get even more stressed out since you are (and I know, easier said than done). I know you won't get much sleep tonight, but you're doing absolutely the right thing in getting that early appointment. Prayers that it's something easily diagnosed and treated.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good - it is a good sign that she is eating... Please keep us posted after your appointment tomorrow - good luck, and many vibes!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's never a good thing when cats start to hide and stop eating, so it's good you are taking her to the vet. That said, it could be any number of things, ranging from serious, to very minor.

It is possible that Frankie is a carrier for some sort of bug and has passed it on to Lucie. It's also possible that whatever is wrong with Lucie is completely unrelated to Frankie. You may want to keep them separate, until you go to the vet tomorrow.

When you do go to the vet, I would recommend having blood taken. I know many vets will just prescribe antibiotics/steriods, etc. without testing. However, blood will give you a better idea of what the problem is or piece of mind knowing that everything is normal.

for a good vet appointment tomorrow!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
for lucie and a good vet visit tomorrow. Update us when you know anything. There's a good chance that someone here has had a similar problem with their kitty, and even if your vet doesn't explain it very well, someone here probably can. I hope everything gets better soon!

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just drank some of her water for the first time today.. and then puked it up a few seconds later.. I dont know if it is a good thing or bad thing..

I watched her try to poop and she was having a really hard time I could see her straining.. but nothing came out.. (but peed ok)

having blood taken seems like a really good idea.. and I am going to keep them separate until tomorrow.. The new one seems fine.. but i guess she could just be carrying something

I cannot wait for the morning!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to mention to the doctor that she was straining to poop, and nothing came up - he might want to give her an enema.
for being something trivial!

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, i brought her in this morning.. they did a complete physical and they said her heart and lungs are good.. and they tested her poop.. no parasites.. and got some goop out of her anal glands..

The vet said that if there is something lodged in her a xray may not show it.. and that I could put her on 7 day anti biotics.. but that might make her sicker.. because most cats do not take them well..

she ate a tiny bit of food that the vet gave her.. but has still not drank a drip of water.. i even tried to give her the tuna juice again it didnt work..

I really dont know what else to do.. I cant stop crying..

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did they do any bloodwork or take an xray anyways in case it might perchance show up?

I would have taken the antibiotics. Doing something is always better than doing nothing. You know the saying, when it rains it pours, but it can't rain all the time.

What you should do, is probably start your cat on the recommended antibiotics, keep trying to entice her to eat and drink.

And take her to another vet for a second opinion.

Was there anything wrong with your other kitten? Or is this a secluded episode with one cat only?

If her condition deteriorates anymore in the next few hours or so before you head to bed, then I am sure plenty of us on here would be willing to help you locate an emergency vetrinary clinic to take her to.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarielynn

Ok, i brought her in this morning.. they did a complete physical and they said her heart and lungs are good.. and they tested her poop.. no parasites.. and got some goop out of her anal glands..

The vet said that if there is something lodged in her a xray may not show it.. and that I could put her on 7 day anti biotics.. but that might make her sicker.. because most cats do not take them well..

she ate a tiny bit of food that the vet gave her.. but has still not drank a drip of water.. i even tried to give her the tuna juice again it didnt work..

I really dont know what else to do.. I cant stop crying..
If the vet did nothing to find out what was wrong, and didn't take an x-ray, just left the cat like that, I am sorry, but I would run to another vet.
Did he at least give her SubQ (fluids) to re-hydrate her?
Please take her to another vet... And force feed her with a syringe... do whatever you need to do - I can not stress how important it is for your cat to eat. You can get some baby food in the market - level 2, without garlic or onions, and try to give it to her. If she doesn't eat, give it to her with a syringe.
Not eating can have SERIOUS consequences - FAST - for a cat, sometimes lethal.
I am sorry you are going through this... please please go to another vet tomorrow...
many vibes for her, and calming vibes for you

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, the least that vet should've done is give her fluids. Do you know how to check for dehydration? Grab the scruff of the neck and gently pull up a bit. If the flesh goes down quickly, she's hydrated. If it seems to take awhile and it goes down slowly, then she needs fluids. If possible, get to the store and get plain, not flavored, Pedialyte (if they have that in Canada). It's used to keep babies hydrated when sick and is full of electrolytes and stuff. Give her some of that via syringe.

Also, she MUST eat. Try some stage 2 baby food, meat only, no onions or garlic. Warm it up a tad (about 8-10 seconds in the microwave), then offer it to her. Also, try warming up about a teaspoon of the food the vet gave you and add a bit of water to it. See if the enhanced flavor will entice her to eat. You can add a bit of plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, to help increase the fiber to pass anything. You can also try boiling a piece of chicken in plain water, no seasonings, shredding it and adding some of the broth back into the shredded stuff to make it about the consistency of chicken salad. Offer that (warmed up a bit) to your kitty.

Then, find a different vet. I'm concerned that she might have some kind of blockage and needs desperate help.

Lastly, please know that sometimes the stress of adding a new kitty and having "life as normal" disrupted IS enough to cause a cat to get sick. Any big change in routine can cause it.

Keep us posted!

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

By last night she ate almost the whole can of food from the vet.. i saw her attempt some water but everytime she tries to drink a bit she pukes it up.. (not the food just water)
I'm confused as to why she is keeping the food down but not the water??

She seems totally ok for a hour or so.. playing and wrestling with Frankie.. then goes to being strange again.. and will not Purr... Could that be the same reason why her meow is not right? Im sure the sound comes from the same spot.. right?

Another thing I have noticed is.. her meow seems weird.. she is usually quite the talker and is very quiet.. but when she was in the carrier on the way to the vet yesterday her meow seemed strange.. like it was hard to get out or something...

I called the vet back this morning.. she said it is good that she ate the food.. and to pay attention to if she is keeping any of the water down.. (she must be.. because I just saw her pee) Or maybe the water that is in the can food? I dont know..

I am going to bring her back in tomorrow morning..

I will keep you updated..
Going to get the antibiotics to start.. bloodwork and xrays.. Thank god for visa.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add a couple of teaspoons of water to her canned food to make it more soupy. That way she'll get some water in. Also, canned food has a much higher water content than dry, so she's getting some water in her when she eats.

I think I'd be concerned about the meow thing. I'd definitely ask for an x-ray just to see if it showed anything.

Are you going back to the same vet or a different vet?

sarielynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was planning on going to the same vet.. when i talked to her today she said that she could take me in tomorrow..