Soft claws questions.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used soft claws, but I know people who have. I have been thinking of trying them, but before I do I have a couple of questions. First, Do they go on the front claws only? Truth is my cats are very good about not scratching on things, but they do tend to accidently scratch things up with their front claws. Second, how well do cats atcually take to wearing these? The cat that I know wears them all the time has been getting them since he was young. Since my cats are 6, 6, 5 & 4 I'm concerned they won't take to them very well. Finally, where is a good place to get the the colored ones at a cheap price. I've checked 3 - 4 stores around here, they all carry just the clear.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just put them on Genever's front paws since that's what she scratches with. She isn't bothered by them at all, and I started putting them on her when she was about a year and a half old (3 months ago). I would make a guess that if your cats are ok with getting their nails trimmed, then they should be ok with at least the application of the Soft Paws. Genever is better behaved with Soft Paws than with nail clipping actually.

I bought mine from here http://www.softpaws.com/ but I have also seen them on Amazon.com. Not much price difference from what I saw though, plus you get all the color options on the Soft Paws website.

If your cats don't chew them off, they should last at least a month. Mine last about 6-8 weeks on average. Genever doesn't seem to shed her nails as frequently as other cats, so for some claws I end up having to cut the tip of the Soft Paw to break the adhesive so it'll come off. After 6 weeks or so she starts scratching more to try to wear her claws down, but she can't since they're covered, so I have to remember to cut them if she doesn't shed them. Hence, the Soft Paws Calendar.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The colored nail caps are only available online. I believe it says that right on the packages of clear ones.

As for how your cats will react to them.... It kind of depends your cats personality. They will all eventually get used to them, but they may not tolerate you putting them all on at once. So maybe put on one or two, reward, and let go for a while. Then get them again in a half an hour or so to continue the process.

Also, I believe they are only meant to go on the front paws.

My old cat used to have to wear them when I moved due to being excessively playful and around young children. He was a sweetie about it and only struggled a little bit during the process of putting them on. Then he calmed down. After I let him go with them on, He almost seemed to not notice them at all. And went about his routine, still scratching things without really scratching at all.

tiffyrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't start using soft paws on my previous kitty until he was 3-4 years old, and he handled them well, except hated the application process. But by "hate" I mean he yeowled a bit and gave me the "stink-eye" for an hour or so after but then everything was fine.

My current kitty Angus has had them applied since he was about 4-5 months old when his claws got big enough to fit the kitten size. He pretty much hates the application process but is generally cooperative. He is very skilled at ripping them off before the glue has fully set. Because of that I have taken to holding him for about a half hour after putting fresh ones on. If I can spend that time distracting him with one of those fishing pole toys, I try that, if not, I just hold him while he gives me the "hate you" look. After a couple of kitty treats and another hour or so, he loves me again.

His fall off or are removed by him within about 3-4 weeks. I'm not exactly sure, some are always off. When he has about 8-10 off, I sit him down and do a re-application. It winds up being about every 2-3 weeks.

I do apply to all of his claws front and back as he is very active (cornish rex) and has already inadvertently done damage to our leather furniture climbing and jumping, slipping off (so gracefully), attacking. He's not a crazy claw sharpener, but what he does causes no damage with the soft paws on. I'm a big fan.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used Soft Paws to train Lola. She hated having them put on and would immediately start pulling them off. She would usually get a couple off right away, the rest in 2-3 weeks. But it was still enough to protect the carpet (berber in a rented apartment) while we got ready to move. In our new house I didn't bother. She's so good about scratching the right things, and letting me clip her claws that I don't feel they are necessary anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffyRN

I do apply to all of his claws front and back as he is very active (cornish rex) and has already inadvertently done damage to our leather furniture climbing and jumping, slipping off (so gracefully), attacking. He's not a crazy claw sharpener, but what he does causes no damage with the soft paws on. I'm a big fan.
Yes that is why I asked about rear claws. My cats have accidently damaged the couch, my head board & my dresser. The problem is with 4 cats, I'm not sure it is economical to apply to front & back claws of all 4.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these occasionally with my cats when I notice they've been rough-housing too much or when I know that we have overnight visitors. I apply them to the front paws only, since those are the ones they use to claw. Putting them on the back feet, to me, is completely unnecessary- unless you enjoy buying twice as much as you really need.

The application experience varies with each cat. Albert, who has been getting nail trims since he was a year old, growls and screams and acts like we're ripping his claws out at the root and eventually has to be wrapped in a towel to finish up. Ramsey, who is our newest and was feral when he found us, sits patiently while we put them on him and purrs the whole time. Charlie gets bored while we're putting them on him, so after the first paw he decides he should be done by now and starts lightly chewing on my hand. Cleo likes that she gets pretty pink and red nails, so she tolerates the process.

They stay on as long as your cats will leave them on. Cleo keeps hers on the longest, while Charlie immediately takes to chewing on them (he's an obsessive nail groomer anyway). Albert's last about 3 weeks before they start coming off and Ramsey keeps them on for about a month.

They're great and I absolutely love them. I'd keep them on Cleo all the time, if I didn't feel it was unfair for her to have them but not the boys.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've put them on adult cats for the first time and they had forgotten about them in about a day.

They are designed only for front claws, but I have used them on rear claws to curb self destructing scratching habits and they worked very well.

I order them here http://www.thecatandkittenstore.com/...ats/Categories
Cheapest I've found, plus shipping is free and they usually throw a free cat toy in with their orders

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I ordered my first box today. I will see how it goes. I expect Levi will be fine with them. Isaac & Maggie I expect to struggle with to get them on and Jordan well I'll either lose part of my hand or he will just rip them off anyway. I'm holding off on tyring the back clawe. 2 reasons, 1 is that I'm concerned they will not take to them well, then there is no point in buying enough to do all paws. 2nd I'm not sure if the size will be the same? Seems like there back claws are much larger than their front claws.

tiffyrn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Seems like there back claws are much larger than their front claws.
I think you have solid reasons for not applying to the back claws. You also have legitimate reasons to be concerned about the sizing, it's trial and error. You will find the soft paws have a slight variance in size even within the same package. I think they do this on purpose and it's a good thing.

Angus seems to have 2 larger claws (one for each front paw) that would roughly correspond to the human index finger. I find his back claws to be on the smaller size compared to the front ones, but I do trim them back carefully (he has clear nails & I can visualize the vein easily). So the diameter is smaller & I keep the length on the shorter side.

I feel Angus really needs the covers on his back claws since he seems to do more damage with his aggressive running, climbing and jumping rather than scratching/sharpening behaviors. Each cat is individual. I can also understand the financial impact of keeping them on 4 cats. I only have 1 cat to support.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I order them here http://www.thecatandkittenstore.com/...ats/Categories
Cheapest I've found, plus shipping is free and they usually throw a free cat toy in with their orders
Thanks for that link, I didn't know about that store. That is cheaper than the one I posted. I think I know where I'm shopping for my next pack of soft paws.....

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use softclaws on one of my cats - front claws only. I initially had trouble with them coming off after about a week. I changed the glue that I used from the glue that they come with to loctite gel super glue. They stay on for quite awhile now. I trim Darcy's back claws so they don't get sharp and catch on things.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffyRN

I feel Angus really needs the covers on his back claws since he seems to do more damage with his aggressive running, climbing and jumping rather than scratching/sharpening behaviors. Each cat is individual. I can also understand the financial impact of keeping them on 4 cats. I only have 1 cat to support.
I want to try them, but if they work for Jordan I will be trying them on all 4 paws for him. He is by far the worst about using his back claws. He likes to ride around on my shoulder which I would love if it didn't mean I end up with claw marks all over my shoulder & neck. He is good with the front claws, but is bad with the back claws.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So all 4 kitties now have them on their front paws. After the experience of putting them on the front, I think there is NO WAY they would allow me to put them on their back claws. They were not really happy about them. I believe they have adjusted fine now, but I was not their favorite person on Saturday.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, 8 paws in 1 day, that's quite an achievement!
I hope they work out ok for you and the kitties.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Wow, 8 paws in 1 day, that's quite an achievement!
I hope they work out ok for you and the kitties.
So far they have not come off. I put them on on Saturday night. I actually think I may have used too much glue. We will see if they come off in the next 8 weeks or I will have to cut them off. So far so good. For the most part they don't seem to even notice them any more.

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm so impressed! i'm totally glue impaired-- i make a mess everytime. i've just gone back to regular trims, which we both tolerate better. LOL

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Well I ordered my first box today. I will see how it goes. I expect Levi will be fine with them. Isaac & Maggie I expect to struggle with to get them on and Jordan well I'll either lose part of my hand or he will just rip them off anyway.
OK, I was so wrong about most of these predictions. Levi was terrible. He was crying & wiggling, even nipped me a couple of times. Jordan was nasty, but I expected that. Maggie was more dramatic than I could have imagined & even bit me (didn't break the skin, but it sure hurt.) Isaac, well he was not happy, but no agression, just a little crying. He made a bigger fuss over having his claws clipped. I guess one never can tell.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we had our first soft claw come off yesterday, so being the mean kitty momma I am, I just glued it right back on. Levi was not happy with me.

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought soft claws for my cat a month ago ..

It was hell just to trim her nails so we didnt even try to put on them on