Decisions, Decisions

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Long story short, i have been trying to switch Pepper and Petunia off of Science Diet and onto something healthier. I have tried Nutro (they hated it), Blue Buffalo Organic (sort of liked it, but didn't eat it that well, and now Purina Cat Chow because I am broke until pay day. They LOVE the cat chow but I don't really want them eating it for the long term. Any suggestions for what to try? Pepper has lost about 1-2 pounds in the last month due to me trying to switch their food. he was almost 16 pounds to begin with so this was sort of a good thing.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not good for them to lose weight too fast.

If they like the Purina, what you could do is to buy a healthier food (what you can afford) and gradually add more each day over 10 days to 2 weeks until you have completely switched over to the new food.

I have started mixing my own concoction for Bijou. I feed Orijen, had some Acana and wanted to give some Hills T/D for his teeth (T/D is the only food that has been proven to reduce tartar in cats and even though the quality is not good enough to feed by itself IMO, I add some to the good food). I take a large popcorn can and mix the 3 foods together so when I ladle out the food he has some of each kind. He often eats the T/D first as he really likes it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It's not good for them to lose weight too fast.
Yea, that's why I said sort of good. He needed to lose the weight but definately not so quickly. Anyway, normally I buy them the better food but I needed to hold them over until Friday and payday. I have never heard of the Orijen-- I'll have to look for it. I always try to feed a good quality food to my furry buddies and I hate that they are eating Cat Chow right now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

Yea, that's why I said sort of good. He needed to lose the weight but definately not so quickly. Anyway, normally I buy them the better food but I needed to hold them over until Friday and payday. I have never heard of the Orijen-- I'll have to look for it. I always try to feed a good quality food to my furry buddies and I hate that they are eating Cat Chow right now.
Orijen is a great food but it may be a bit more pricey than you can afford. I personally have found that Bijou eats less of a high quality food, has less poo, less odour and the litter lasts longer which are all pluses. I use World's Best Cat Litter and a large bag lasts me several months.

I weighed Bijou on Saturday and he is 20.4 lbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they like regular cat chow maybe try purina naturals ... it likely tastes similar to cat chow minus the by products it is a decent food with a resonable protein and slightly IMHO fat level

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should try putting them on Taste of the Wild (http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/). It's a grain free diet that is similar to Innova Evo, but less expensive. Their cat food is made with roasted venison, salmon and sweet potatoes, but I don't think their website is too up to date because I swear I've seen another option for cat food from them.

Anyhow, this is what I'm feeding my dogs now (dog variety, of course) and they absolutely love it. I've given the cats a sample of it and they loved it as well, but I have one who gets frequent UTI's and one with an allergy, so we stick to RC Urinary SO and pre-packaged raw for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I normally don't particularly care about price--if this says anything, I paid $12 for a 2 pound bag of Blue Buffalo Organic. Really, price doesn't matter that much too me. They just got stuck with Cat Chow because I had an unexpected expense come up. They are lovin' the Cat Chow so I think I will look into the Purina Naturals. Please feel free to keep giving suggestions- my piggies are very picky and they may not like that food. Thanks everyone!