more poop questions

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - my foster boys (five of them anyway) were on Albon for a week. I saw an improvement in their poo, but now that the med is working its way out of their system, I am seeing a return of the soft, watery, mucousy stools. At this point, not as bad as before b/c there was blood on Archie's poo. And I would find bloody smears in places.

The vet prescribed 250mg/day for 7 days. I just have this nagging feeling that wasn't long enough. But I don't know enough about this drug.

Also I am wondering if wet food and/or dry treats can cause this kind of problem. Again, Ghost eats the same food as everyone else and his poo is fine. (He doesn't get as many treats since he is separated from the others.)

I am getting very frustrated. And I feel bad for the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NObody has any advice?

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be so many things, that it is hard to say. The fact that the cat that is not having problems is kept seperate from the others sounds like a real hint for the vet. I don't think that it is the food or treats, if all the cats get the same thing. Did the vet run any tests on the poo? It sounds like a parasite of some sort, but that is just a guess. Please talk to your vet again, and ask about intestinal parasites.That your cats get better soon!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yourlovingcat

It could be so many things, that it is hard to say. The fact that the cat that is not having problems is kept seperate from the others sounds like a real hint for the vet. I don't think that it is the food or treats, if all the cats get the same thing. Did the vet run any tests on the poo? It sounds like a parasite of some sort, but that is just a guess. Please talk to your vet again, and ask about intestinal parasites.That your cats get better soon!
They have been screened for parasites, both protozoic and worms... negative. Vet told me twice clear is the test. So if it is not food then it is bacterial. I don't think they got enough antibiotic. .. but then, I am not a vet. I thought normal course of treatment would be 10-14 days.. I was given a seven day course. So the sitch improved, but did not clear up. I would really like to the vet to do a poo culture and target the bad bug. But these are rescue cats and I have no control over their vet care except if there is an emergency and no time to beg the director to make an appt.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

They have been screened for parasites, both protozoic and worms... negative. Vet told me twice clear is the test. So if it is not food then it is bacterial. I don't think they got enough antibiotic. .. but then, I am not a vet. I thought normal course of treatment would be 10-14 days.. I was given a seven day course. So the sitch improved, but did not clear up. I would really like to the vet to do a poo culture and target the bad bug. But these are rescue cats and I have no control over their vet care except if there is an emergency and no time to beg the director to make an appt.
My first thought is maybe they need a lower dosage for a longer time.......I hate to say it, but sometimes foster kittens don't receive proper medical treatment. Often it is the foster home giving the best treatment, but if there is a serious ailment that is misdiagnosed by the vet, it is out of your hands........

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

My first thought is maybe they need a lower dosage for a longer time.......I hate to say it, but sometimes foster kittens don't receive proper medical treatment. Often it is the foster home giving the best treatment, but if there is a serious ailment that is misdiagnosed by the vet, it is out of your hands........
I offered to foot the bill and was told no. My boyfriend offered to help pay for it, I was told no. I am also dealing with ear mites. I don't like being out of control of the care of animals I am caring for... so I am not sure I would ever foster again.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of a few cases where certain high-protien wet foods are a bit too rich for certain cats, but for that many at once I'd be a bit doubtful. Most wet food + Freya is bad in our house, but she has a pretty sensitive digestive system.

Honestly, if the Albon helped and the cat who's on his own is fine, I'd guess they have a really persistent bacterial infection. Depending on the environment they came out of, it's also possible they've had it for awhile and thier system no longer recognizes it as 'bad'. I know it took my brother 3 rounds of treatment to clear up giardia in his cat when he first got her.

Can you get the vet to give them another round?

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My opinion is...it's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission. Take them to the vet. It sounds to me like a bacterial infection as well, especially if the Albon worked. My cats had a bout with Giardia and it took them a full month to get over it (of course, that was also because the first vet we took them to tried to go the "cheap" route rather than the "super effective, yet slightly more expensive" route by giving us bitter pills instead of a liquid that was readily available and tasted yummy. Ugh).

At any rate, what they don't know won't hurt them. Get the kiddos to a good vet and let them start healing. In the meantime, load them up with some cottage cheese to replace electrolytes (not to much, as cats can be lactose intolerant) and some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, actual canned pumpkin which only reads "pumpkin" on the label) which will help firm their stools.

Good luck!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iheartstrays

My opinion is...it's better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission. Take them to the vet. It sounds to me like a bacterial infection as well, especially if the Albon worked. My cats had a bout with Giardia and it took them a full month to get over it (of course, that was also because the first vet we took them to tried to go the "cheap" route rather than the "super effective, yet slightly more expensive" route by giving us bitter pills instead of a liquid that was readily available and tasted yummy. Ugh).

At any rate, what they don't know won't hurt them. Get the kiddos to a good vet and let them start healing. In the meantime, load them up with some cottage cheese to replace electrolytes (not to much, as cats can be lactose intolerant) and some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, actual canned pumpkin which only reads "pumpkin" on the label) which will help firm their stools.

Good luck!
Tried the pumpkin thing - didn't work or help. I tried to convince our director that should it come to that - I want Panacur for Giardia NOT Flagyl - which is horrible tasting! She said the vets won't give P to cats. Bull hockey!!!! I will call around until I find one what will.