I think my neighbor just dumped his cat.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the cat. It is at least two years old but the size of a six month old kitten; I would be surprised if it weighed more than six pounds.

I think he has dumped the cat because it was always indoors only before this, and now he is moving. The cat was crying outside, so I put some food and water out for it (that's the food and water it's eating in the picture).

I have no idea what to do. The cat looks very neglected. There are sores all over it. The animal shelter would put it to sleep, and I doubt it could survive on the streets. I'm living on a disability check and already have two cats. I have no place I could quarantine this one. And my neighbor may still have a claim on it.

Please give me advice. I don't know what to do. This cat actually came up to me and headbutted me just because I gave it food... it is so very friendly but I don't know how to help it.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a no-kill shelter in the area? How about a cat rescue group? Maybe you could advertise on Craig's list?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got the cat in a dog crate now--rather big dog crate, food water litter box, that sort of thing. I do know one no-kill shelter but she is so overloaded I know she would have to say "no", and she has such a very hard time saying it... This cat is eminently unadoptable and life in a cage isn't good for such a social creature, nor would it survive outdoors.

(Excuse the "it"; I haven't checked whether it's male or female. I'm guessing female but I never got a good look)...

There was another cat crying outside, too. I don't know if the neighbor had two cats. I can't find it now. Maybe it will come to the feeding station.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sooooooo sad. Maybe the no kill shelter or a compassionate vet could diagnose and test for free, especially if you would be willing to keep the kitty after she is deemed healthy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this kitty!

Here are some links to help you find some options.

You can fill out the form for the Alley Cat Allies Feral Friends Network to find out if there are any organizations or individuals in your area that may be able to provide any assistance: http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=444

You can search for other shelters or rescue groups you may not know about in your area: http://www.pets911.com/local-shelters-and-rescues

You can also scroll through http://www.petfinder.com - just fill in "cat" and your zip code. Every cat that is listed for adoption has a rescue organization or foster network associated with it, and each one has a link to some kind of contact info - scroll through the pages to find all the orgs within a few hour drive and simply conduct an e-mail campaign. It really helps to write down the name of the org you contact and it's e-mail address though, as most e-mail contacts are personal, so it can be hard to keep track of what organization is replying to you if you don't. When writing your e-mail, do NOT portray the kitty as being unadoptable - portray it as being in need of fostering and vet care that you are not able to provide care for him/her given the disability, but you couldn't leave this abandoned kitty to die outside and alone.

...and then there's always ideas for how to get kitties adopted - even a make-a-flyer program at the Best Friends No More Homeless Pets Campaign: http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehom...sourcelibrary/

If you conduct an e-mail campaign via petfinder, bear in mind that most organizations are over-worked and understaffed, and you may not hear from many.

But I would also consider calling the no-kill shelter woman you do know to ask if she's aware of any other contacts you should consider. I would also call around to local vets to see if they know of any cat rescuers in the area that may be able to help.

for this kitty! I also hope you're able to find the other kitty if there is one. Given their state, their owners "abandoned" them a long time ago, even if they were barely keeping them alive with food and water.

Laurie

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it would be safe to buy some flea medicine from my vet to put on the cat? I used Frontline on my cats when I first got them, and it worked great, not a flea since. I'm almost certain the little thing has fleas; they always do, and it probably needs to keep all the blood it can.

What else? Ringworm, probably; it's missing fur...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think that is a good idea. Advantage works REALLY well on fleas and ticks. Poor thing probably has internal parasites too. There is another vet product, called Revolution that ALSO treats internal parasites and you use it topically just like the Advantage - but it does not work as well on the fleas and ticks.

I would talk to the vet about making payments over time if they're not compassionate in the sense of providing a discount because of the situation. They are in business, after all - but it can't hurt to ask if there is a way to make arrangements.
If you can get a stool sample to the vet when you go to purchase the Advantage, it'd be best not to treat him/her for internal parasites if he/she doesn't have them, and they can quickly tell under the microscope.

If she does have worms, if it is round worm, she would need treatment now and again in three weeks. Meds only kill the adult worms, so you have to "dose" them at least twice, in order to let the eggs become adult and then kill them.

Laurie

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I say put her on craigslist, complete with photos and her story. People have soft spots for sick/neglected animals, and it's likely someone will take her to "save" her.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm usually starts on their eartips or feet, sometimes on their faces. It looks like she/he may have gotten into a tiff with another cat, as she/he seems to be missing fur on the back. Stress can also make them loose fur.

Ringworm also usually hits kittens or cats whose immune systems are compromised by illness. A vet visit won't hurt and most vets will work with you on payments/discounts.

Just make sure your own cats don't interact with her/him until the vet gives a clean bill of health.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Ringworm usually starts on their eartips or feet, sometimes on their faces. It looks like she/he may have gotten into a tiff with another cat, as she/he seems to be missing fur on the back. Stress can also make them loose fur.

Ringworm also usually hits kittens or cats whose immune systems are compromised by illness. A vet visit won't hurt and most vets will work with you on payments/discounts.

Just make sure your own cats don't interact with her/him until the vet gives a clean bill of health.
Yeah, I'm washing my hands religiously after I touch her. (I think it's a her, so until further notice she's a she.) My cats want nothing to do with the scraggly newcomer. I imagine if they met there would be a lot of puffing up and hissing...

I tried a flea comb on her. One swipe down her tail brought out six fleas and a lot of flea dirt. This cat has a serious flea problem. I'm not going to use the flea comb on her because I'm afraid of hurting the scabby areas where she's been scratching and biting herself (and possibly been scratched and bitten). I'm not going to bathe her 'cause that's just mean and she hasn't got anything poisonous on her. So it looks like I'll be waiting 'til the vet opens tomorrow for medicine.

The vet I use doesn't do installment plans but does take credit cards. I haven't used the credit card in a year or more, but this might be just the occasion.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking care of this poor neglected kitty.. my, she is a pitiful sight.

Could IMOM possibly help?

Please keep us updated!! I'll be rooting for her.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing! One dumped kitty that I rescued had lost almost all the fur on her head and shoulders from stress, malnutrition and insect bites. Amazing how fast it grows back once they're getting proper care. If she's that small you may not want to use the full adult dosage of flea meds on her, ask the vet about a Capstar to get rid of all she has now. When I get them that scrawny I try to give them kitten food for the first few weeks to get some weight on them quickly, and make up for the missing nutrients all the parasites have stolen from them.

With the Karma he's building for himself your former neighbor can look forward to a lonely end in a sub-standard nursing home, wondering why no one cares enough to visit him. Thank Goodness you are seeing to it that his cats get better than he deserves.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie was able to provide much more useful advice than I am. I can only hope you can find someplace safe for the poor kitty to go. That's awful for anyone to let a kitty get like that.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keeping her in a dog crate for now is a wonderful idea. It will keep her separated from your own babies, which is a wonderful idea obviously since you don't know her background. It will also prevent her from becoming too stressed within her new surroundings and protect her from the outside.

I work in animal rescue and frequently tell people to not only search Petfinder for a no-kill shelter that may be able to help, but to consider fostering the animal after you POST an ad yourself. Look under the "classifieds" tab at the top and you'll be on your way. It may take a couple of weeks to get some interest, but Petfinder is a wonderful resource because you're getting people who are out there LOOKING for an animal. I mean, why else would they be on a site called "Petfinder"?

It sounds like she found just the right lady for the job of taking care of her until she makes it to her forever home. Good luck and if I can help in any other way, just pm me!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
people who dump cats just make my blood boil! Aaaaagh! SHe's in such a pitiful state. I'm so glad you were great enough to take this little baby in before she was too far gone. The only advice I can give you is to just keep trying to find her a new home.

Any update on the other kitty you heard crying?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other kitty has not showed up. I have food out as usual. It's very friendly, like this one, so traps shouldn't be necessary. I'm keeping my eyes open.

The rescue is helping me with a vet check and some medication!

She has been eating as though she is afraid she'll never see food again, and has used the litter box three times already. The poo looks normal--no diarrhea. Good sign. She seems energetic and alert, but picking her up you feel nothing but scabs and ribs. Kitten food it is.

Personality-wise, I'm getting this almost desperate affection--headbutts, ankle-rubbing, a purr like a motorcycle. I've seen it before in rescue cats; it's like they're desperate to show you they are cute and lovable and trying to convince you to take care of them. She definitely knows what she wants, and that currently consists mostly of food and attention.

I got a picture of her face... here she is, looking out the window in my back porch; you can see her eyes are clear, but her face has lost some fur:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor baby!!! I am so glad they found their way to you - what awful condition these babies where living in
!
I can't see it really well, but judging by the region of the hair loss, and the coloration it looks to me like ringworm.
:vi bes:

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that a rescue is helping you with vet check and medication!
She's a pretty cat, even with patches of missing fur.