Diet for UTI/ FLUTD?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we've been battling UTI and inappropriate urination with Aya since June. she had 3 good weeks of no bed peeing then started up again last week. The Vet says her urine looks the same as when we started and suggested we attack with another round of antibiotics and try the ph control diet (RC ph control urinary s/o).

Her ph is a little low. 6 when it should be 6.5. Aya who has never been a fussy eater seems less than pleased. They have only dry here and she is missing her beef pate. When I worked for the Vet in the States they had canned s/o available.

Any other diet options for a UTI prone kitty?

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the vet giving antibiotics means that your kitty has an actual Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). Urinary crystals are often dubbed UTI's, granted infections can be brought on by crystals, but are really two different things with different treatments. Other than medication the only other things you can try is adding lysine and/or cranberry to the diet. The Lysine will help strengthen the immune system (sometimes a compromised immune system may be the cause)and the cranberry will help prevent the bacteria from attaching.

If the kitty is getting crystals then an actual diet change/modification should help prevent them from forming. Most of the time cats who have a high moisture intake will produce unfavorable conditions for crystals to form. This is really only accomplished by cats who are on a canned or raw diet. Rx diets will work but imo is only putting a band aid on the problem. For a crystal prone kitty water is their best friend.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you get cranberry into a cat? And where do you buy Lysine?

It seemed counterproductive to me to switch her off of her wet to dry kibble that she'd rather go hungry than eat. They don't have the rx diets in wet form here. And she only drinks from her dish when she's very hot or thirsty. She prefers to wait for me to turn on the tap.

The Vet never said there was an actial infection. It must be rather mild as there is no blood and no fever. she did say that the urine ph was low and it looks cloudy. and there were signs of inflamation.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

How do you get cranberry into a cat? And where do you buy Lysine?
By mixing cranberry powder in the food. Lysine can be found in health food stores and sometimes stores that sell vitamines/minerals. Research and see if these would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by Lyrajean

The Vet never said there was an actial infection. It must be rather mild as there is no blood and no fever. she did say that the urine ph was low and it looks cloudy. and there were signs of inflamation.
Not sure what to say. Treating it as an infection and requesting a diet change to raise ph. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure ph really only plays a part in the formation of crystals. http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2142&aid=2729 If there are signs of inflammation then I would look into adding some type of fish oil (try to use salmon oil) to the food. The rx diet you listed states it will help control the ph but its the catch all food for the common crystals. http://www.royalcanin.us/adx/aspx/ad...narySO-dry.pdf

Other members will be chiming in soon. I am a night owl. I remember there being talk of certain ingredients that will help shift the ph. But I don't know what they, if any, are. Do a search on this site, you may get lucky.
Good luck

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Search doesn't seem to be working for me, but i'll try...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK, we have a product called Cystaid - not sure if it is available where you are, but it is basically a glucosamine based supplement that helps soothe the lining of the bladder. Also, diet can be a contributor - even prescription dry can cause issues, and if they have a lot of fish in their diet. I personally think that normal wet food is much better than prescription dry.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay Aya is going on ahunger strike rather than eat the kibble. I broke down last night and gave her a can of her wet beef flavored stuff. After eating teh can she was swilling to try the kibble I've mixed in some of her old kibble to encourage her. This am she barfed kibble as if to prove to me that she don't like it. I'm not sure if its the food or the antibiotics affecting her appetite. Could be one or both?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be both but I would think antibiotics first

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did 2 weeks of drugs about 1 month ago. Now she's apparently back where she started, so they wanted to add the food in to the mix. Of course she's an impossible cat to medicate. Never know how much of the meds got in the cat as opposed to on the cat.

They did offer me medication as shots. I'd have to bring her in every other day or so. I didn't go this way as I'm leaving her with the pet sitter for 10 days starting thurs. -ugh! At least my pet sitter has a boyfriend to help with the medication.

Oh, I wasn't able to find cranberry powder, but I did put a teaspoon of juice in her old wet food and she licked it up. But as a whole she'd rather fast than eat that ph altering kibble.

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is prone to urinary tract infections. I feed him (and everyone else) the RC stuff, but want to get them swtiched over to a better food. I'm glad that people have shed light on this subject because now I feel that if I add cranberry powder and Lysine to whatever we switch them to, it won't be as big a deal. I also supplement with Nature's Variety raw rabbit medallions: http://www.naturesvariety.com/raw_products_rabbit, which are 70% moisture and help to keep him hydrated.

It sounds like investing in a water fountain for Aya may be the answer to getting her to drink more. I have a drinkwell fountain and everyone loves it: http://www.vetventures.com/products-...s-Original.asp. It supplies fresh, running water, which is exactly what Aya wants. Leave the filters out, though, as they can be a harbor for bacteria. I also leave the top off of mine, as Albert insists that he has to drink from that level. Lol.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya prefers to drink from the running tap. When I use the toilet she jumps in my lap and waits for me to turn on the faucet. I think she drinks plenty, but it is also very hot here from May thru October. Even with AC the indoor temp is 25-27degrees C.