Question of the day July 25th

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning All!!!

Today's question is:

Do you use spell check when you are posting on-line?

I have to admit that I do most of the time but only because of years writing reports, evaluations, and correspondences have gotten me into the habit.

However one thing I do notice about my writing isn't so much the spelling is that sometimes I will be typing or thinking to quickly and actually leave out certain words...

I actually read a very interesting article about this a few years ago that said lots of people do this and the reason it isn't noticed more is that the persons who is reading it subconsciously fills in the blanks and doesn't even notice a word is missing... How cool is that.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. I'm a pretty good speller, and when I do misspell a word it is usually b/c my fingers accidentally typed an extra letter or something. I just don't have a use for it most of the time...and honestly I don't really care if I misspell a word or two.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Do you use spell check when you are posting on-line?

I have to admit that I do most of the time but only because of years writing reports, evaluations, and correspondences have gotten me into the habit.
Nice question my friend very intelligent!

I do!..

In order that I´m daily learning something new about your native language I always for me is a dare to try to right spelled sooo well all what I want to comunicate!

..Love your question!

adding a tiny note:
I hate the abreviations...
make me a lot to
and try to find on the NET what does mean!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually use spell check, especially in my daily communication at work. Unfortunately, the spell checker on the hospital server doesn't have a medical dictionary (go figure!) so it isn't very helpful. I use an automatic spell check for all of my outgoing e-mails, for both work and home.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, not on here because its a downloaded add on that I don't have.

But if I know I've spelt something wrong, I usually put (sp) beside it. For the most part, I'm a fairly decent speller.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never use spell check when posting (which should be pretty obvious from the most of my posts, lol) I just don't find it necessary in an atmoshpere such as this. I do preview my posts, and try to catch mistakes, and If I am really about to butcher a word I will look it up, but Im not too obsessive about it. I feel like I am talking when I post, and well, I don't always talk good English.
( though I can and do when called for, just not so much in a casual environment such as this)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Nice question my friend very intelligent!

I do!..

In order that I´m daily learning something new about your native language I always for me is a dare to try to right spelled sooo well all what I want to comunicate!

..Love your question!

adding a tiny note:
I hate the abreviations...
make me a lot to
and try to find on the NET what does mean!
Nigel, you are incredible! I love your posts and you always get your point across. And don't worry about the abbreviations...they confuse me too sometimes!

I didn't even know there was a spell check option on posting. Oh, there it is! LOL I probably should use it..I'm terrible at spelling. Always have been. I normally do have the online dictionary open at the bottom of the screen for words that I don't use all the time. But what I hate about real dictionaries is this; if you don't know how to spell it to begin with, how do you find it if the words are in alphabetical order by spelling??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I actually read a very interesting article about this a few years ago that said lots of people do this and the reason it isn't noticed more is that the persons who is reading it subconsciously fills in the blanks and doesn't even notice a word is missing... How cool is that.
Have you ever gotten the email with all the letters in each word (except the first and last letter) all jumbled up and you can still read it? Your brain recognizes the letters and puts them in the right order to make a word based on the context of the sentence. I think that is just so cool!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I seldom use a spell checker, because my spelling is pretty accurate to start with, and I have "revisionitis"
, i.e. I go over my posts a ridiculous number of times, for sense, and, on the way, catch most, if not all, typos. If I have a "hmmm...that doesn't look right
" moment, I just plug the offending word into my quick google box -- if the spelling is right, I just get a page of hits; if not, there will be a "did you mean to search for ...." entry at the top of the page, offering me the right spelling.
Who needs to fish through dictionaries for a quick check?