Patch and his Staph Infection

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I posted a few times my Patch and his problems with UTI's and now a staph infection. He is hard to give pills to, near impossible. I started him on transdermal gel Baytril, because his staph infection is pretty bad and apparenly Baytril is the very best medication for this. I put it on the inside tip of his ear. It has been working out very well. My concern is about once a day he has an accident. Its about a week that its been going on. He's been on the Baytril now for about 2 weeks, we still have another 4 weeks to go. Like yesterday morning waking up I felt very warm and wet. He must have been near me and pee peed on me and the bed. the other day I saw him do it in front of me and he looks surprised himself. Its not like he's losing control all day its once a day. I called the doctor and he said it isn't likely its the Baytril its more the infection doing this, the only thing I don't understand is he never had accidents before this. I got a second opinion and they said the same thing, highly unlikely its the Baytril. I am to continue the Baytril. He eats fine, he acts the same as he always did. Has anyone experienced this type of thing before or any thoughts? Thanks.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used the transdermal version of Baytril, but I used to give it to my cat when he had infections because he couldn't tolerate any other antibiotics. Are you cleaning his ears every day, and are you switching sides? The transdermal gel can build up over time and prevent the medicine from being absorbed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do switch ears but I don't think I'm washing his ears good enough he's feral so he is kind of hard to grab so I have to wash what I can, but I never thought of that. Maybe I can soap up a wash cloth and sneak up on him when he's sleeping. Thanks for the suggestion, it just might be that.

Thanks again.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first inclination was to say 'Sounds like the infection is getting worse instead of retreating'...which might indicate that the drug isn't matched or that the drug isn't getting to the infection....

I've been doing some looking for you...I did find this
...Enrofloxacin was not absorbed in cats after transdermal application in a pluronic gel vehicle...
Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs (link) (p237, Instructions for Use).

Perhaps you should share that reference with your Vet and s/he and the compounding pharmacy could do some further "digging"....

(I also found references to the need for cleaning the ear - cloud_shade's suggestion - prior to application)

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My assumption is you have had the urine cultured which is how you found the staph. If not... I think you should have a culture and sensitivity done. If the staph infection is bad enough it might require an antibiotic called Amikacin. I had to treat my dog with it because she had MRSA in her nose and we had a client who had a beagle that had it in her bladder.

I think he's probably peeing due to the infection... maybe you could look into like a tom cat diaper, or small dog diapers so he doesn't have more accidents?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

My first inclination was to say 'Sounds like the infection is getting worse instead of retreating'...which might indicate that the drug isn't matched or that the drug isn't getting to the infection....

I've been doing some looking for you...I did find this Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs (link) (p237, Instructions for Use).

Perhaps you should share that reference with your Vet and s/he and the compounding pharmacy could do some further "digging"....

(I also found references to the need for cleaning the ear - cloud_shade's suggestion - prior to application)
Thank you I will mention this to the Vet.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

My assumption is you have had the urine cultured which is how you found the staph. If not... I think you should have a culture and sensitivity done. If the staph infection is bad enough it might require an antibiotic called Amikacin. I had to treat my dog with it because she had MRSA in her nose and we had a client who had a beagle that had it in her bladder.

I think he's probably peeing due to the infection... maybe you could look into like a tom cat diaper, or small dog diapers so he doesn't have more accidents?
Yes, I did have a culture done. It probably is time for him to have another culture, it might not be the Baytril, but something is not right. Maybe he does need the antibiotic you referred to.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.