diarrhea & Greenies treats

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning, Lolly (1 year old spayed female) had some diarrhea. It seems to have been a single incident. I'm not sure if she has pooped again (there is some in one of the boxes, but we have another cat too), but if she has, it has not been diarrhea.

We had a pack of almost full Greenies treats on a shelf in the kitchen. My fiance found the pack of Greenies on the floor, chewed up, and with only 3 or 4 treats left in the pack. Fiona does not like treats, so we are left to assume Lolly is the culprit.

So, my question is twofold: 1) Could eating too many treats have caused her diarrhea? and 2) Should we be at all worried, or will her sick stomach pass? The pack of Greenies was very small; I think it was just the free sample size. The SPCA gave it to us.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by srrh

This morning, Lolly (1 year old spayed female) had some diarrhea. It seems to have been a single incident. I'm not sure if she has pooped again (there is some in one of the boxes, but we have another cat too), but if she has, it has not been diarrhea.

We had a pack of almost full Greenies treats on a shelf in the kitchen. My fiance found the pack of Greenies on the floor, chewed up, and with only 3 or 4 treats left in the pack. Fiona does not like treats, so we are left to assume Lolly is the culprit.

So, my question is twofold: 1) Could eating too many treats have caused her diarrhea? and 2) Should we be at all worried, or will her sick stomach pass? The pack of Greenies was very small; I think it was just the free sample size. The SPCA gave it to us.
Bugsy has violent watery diarrhea with Greenies, and researching the net I have found out that this is quite common...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dante will have loose stools if he eats too many Greenies - and he also has gnawed open a bag - I was just putting the groceries away!

In my experience, things will return to normal - just don't give kitties too many Greenies! The bag states that about 6-8 per serving is ok, per weight, IIRC - my two are ok if they get about 3-4 at a time, twice a day.

I believe Sharky pointed out that Greenies have a lot of plant material in them - which can trigger loose bowels in anyone! Does seem to help the teeth though - and is one of the few treats my Dharma goes for.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's just a small bag, I wouldn't worry at all. Heck, my cats have eaten full, unopened bags of treats and the plastic/paper stuff that they are packaged in and they've survived. Made for interesting poops, but I didn't really worry. I think it's a common reaction for a lot of cats that eat Greenies to have diarrhea or some sort of issue in the "poop department"
. She'll be fine

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Cat Rebby got sick with Greenies and I never used them again for either of my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for the encouragement. We separated the cats today so that we could be 100% sure of who was using which litterbox and how they're doing. Lolly did pee today, but no poop. It is possible that she could have gone last night, before we separated them, without anyone knowing it was her. I've never paid so much attention to my cats' bowel movements before!
How long is it normal for them to go without GOing?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - if someone had told me three years ago I'd be so interested in bathroom habits, I never would have believed them. My vet told me to call if no pooing for three days, assuming kitty is acting happy and healthy in all other ways (eating, peeing, tail up, all that). My Dharma was skipping her daily poo when she was on clavamox, so I was very hyper about poo and, believe me, was calling the vet regularly

Let's say Lolly had really cleaned herself out post-Greenies - give her a little time with a normal diet to regulate herself, but I'd at least give the vet a call if it hits two full days without poo. If she's acting out of sorts, call sooner, IMO. But Dante always seemed to have a pretty regular poo maybe 30-36 hours after a 'greenie' event. Honestly, he's got a delicate tummy - one or two greenies too many, or too much wet food, and we've got soft stool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Darlili, you hit it right on the nose! She's going like normal again.. everyone can stop holding their breaths now.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So so old but I've finally linked my cat getting explosive diarrhea from TWO hairball greenies treats! I gave ONE to my other cat and he vomited about 10 times right after! It's only with the hairball ones though the dental ones they're fine!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll add another reply to this thread. I gave Betty two Greeenies hairball treats last night and this morning she's got the spits :barf: and the runs. 💩

But she also had a huge amount of hair in her first formed poops of the morning (before the runs started.) It seems like the Greenies work just a little too well.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll add another reply to this thread. I gave Betty two Greeenies hairball treats last night and this morning she's got the spits :barf: and the runs. 💩

But she also had a huge amount of hair in her first formed poops of the morning (before the runs started.) It seems like the Greenies work just a little too well.
At least she didnt poop the bed like Allie did