This third week, one week after we stopped giving her Tapazole,
her female/anal part are inflamed(we gave her diaper rash which
she liked). Now we are noticing bleeding from behind. She is not
eating,maybe drinking a tad. She is alert, responds somewhat
her normal way. Sleeping alot.

Tomorrow she has a vet appointment,my wive strongly hinted
we might have to do 'the thing'

Other than the serious physical issues, it does not seem to
be 'her time'. I could be wrong. What in the above seems related to hyperthyroidism,
and what seems to be just the side effects of Tapazole? I like' to think the
Tapazole caused alot of problems(including the bleeding),infection can be normalized.

this is the thread to my post about 4 weeks ago
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200917

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read through your previous thread - and skimmed through your other, very first thread.

I see that you've had some advice along the way.

What I did not see is that anyone suggested that you present your case to one of the specialized online support groups for these kinds of chronic feline conditions.

On this forum - TCS - you'll get all kinds of "mixed" advice...from other peoples' experiences past and perhaps present, from people who just read something and will pass that along, from people who heard from other people...etc, etc.

The specialized online support groups, however, are comprised of people who have been through and are going through the very same kind of care management for their cats. There will be "old hands" with years of specific experience and "newbies" like yourself, with limited experience and lots of concerns who feel like they're riding a rollercoaster. These people are online 24/7/365...people who join up are warmly welcomed and soon realize that the combined knowledge and experince of the group far outweighs that of anyone's individual Vet.

Before you make any final decision, I would urge you to at least give the group a try.....at this point, what do you have to lose?

You'll find those people here.

(That won't take you away from TCS...but, it will give you the best shot from current expertise...and, please keep us posted!)

Oh - I also read your comment about donating "to this site"....perhaps I misread but, if you meant 'donate to TCS'...you need to know that this site is a private business enterprise, not a charity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reader

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

I just read through your previous thread - and skimmed through your other, very first thread.
I see that you've had some advice along the way.
On this forum - TCS - you'll get all kinds of "mixed" advice...from other peoples' experiences past and perhaps present, from people who just read something and will pass that along, from people who heard from other people...etc, etc.
The specialized online support groups, however, are comprised of people who have been through and are going through the very same kind of care management for their cats. There will be "old hands" with years of specific experience and "newbies" like yourself, with limited experience and lots of concerns who feel like they're riding a rollercoaster. .......
Before you make any final decision, I would urge you to at least give the group a try.....at this point, what do you have to lose?
Oh - I also read your comment about donating "to this site"....perhaps I misread but, if you meant 'donate to TCS'...you need to know that this site is a private business enterprise, not a charity.....(TRUNCATED)
Thanks.
I will look into the group advice on hypothyroidism.

Information,advice,personal information has been excellent on this site. I am aware there is a fine line between information/advice from the internet and receiving valuable help from the internet that one can not easily get elsewhere.

Charity or private enterprise, i will donate in the near future or pay into a subscription.

I do not like the vet/animal caring for my cat(lack of explaining what to expect with hyperthyroidism, possible side effects of drugs, the vet not seeming interested) however i live in a very rural area where vets are few and far in between.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by reader

Thanks.
I will look into the group advice on hypothyroidism.

Information,advice,personal information has been excellent on this site. I am aware there is a fine line between information/advice from the internet and receiving valuable help from the internet that one can not easily get elsewhere.

Charity or private enterprise, i will donate in the near future or pay into a subscription.

I do not like the vet/animal caring for my cat(lack of explaining what to expect with hyperthyroidism, possible side effects of drugs, the vet not seeming interested) however i live in a very rural area where vets are few and far in between.
I just wanted to thank you for being so supportive of TCS. We have a wonderful community here with some folks who have many years of experience and knowledge who often know more than some vets. I agree that we are not all experts but there is a plethora of combined knowledge. Online community groups are a good thing, but there again they are recounting their own personal experience with a particular issue - much like folks here are doing.

If you are not completely comfortable and happy with your vet, I would urge you to please get a second opinion, or better yet try to get a recommendation from someone you know who has a vet they really like for good reasons.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If you are not completely comfortable and happy with your vet, I would urge you to please get a second opinion, or better yet try to get a recommendation from someone you know who has a vet they really like for good reasons.
Ditto to the above advice. Hyperthyroidism is nothing to fool around with - don't waste time with a vet who isn't giving you the information you need.

Did you stop the Tapazole on your own? Or did the vet advise you to do this?
My Katie was on Tapazole and developed a facial rash (but not the other symptoms your kitty has) so the vet told us to discontinue it. Katie was then treated with I-131 therapy which completely cured her. Has your vet spoken to you about this?

Untreated hyperthyroidism (HT) affects the major organs of the body. The classic sign of HT is weight loss, which you noticed 7 months ago. Please don't delay in getting treatment for your kitty. At only 10 years old, she has potentially many more years of life ahead.

Please look into I-131 therapy before you make any irreversible decisions. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reader

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought my cat to the vet, before we left i thought i might not see my cat again.

After we explained about hypothyroidism,the trapezd pill side effects(throwing up,facial and body itch,no eating), once again what the vet said mirrored what posters here have been telling me what has been going on as well as how it will be treated.

My cat has been taken off Tapazole til the effects go away. Then proceed with the ear type of Tapazole medication. Supposedly that lessens the possibility of side effects. My cat also had something else going on with the rash, she got penicillin for that

Thanks for staying with me. we all love our cats so much it can never be explained fully.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
for your kitty. I've had a few experiences with that "is this our last vet visit?" feeling. Please keep us updated on your baby, and we'll continue to wish the kitty the best. And yes, as previously stated, seek a second opinion somewhere.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I support this...
no matter if you should to see to many VETS..:indiff

for your kitty...