I think my cat is depressed!!!!

christalligator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does do much but lay around and sleep. i know cats sleep like 16 hours a day or something like that but i think maybe 2 hours a day hes up and about the rest is spent laying around and sleeping. i think he is depressed and here is why.

At the moment im living with fiance and his parents, and his parents have 2 outdoor cats. There in and out of the house all the time and he is an indoor cat. he likes to be around other cats but there never around. We have felt bad so we bought him a harness and leash and have taken him out side but it always ends with him freaking out wiggling, jumping and trying to get away. so we dont do that anymore.

I was wondering if any one had some suggestions to get him undepressed?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Christalligator

He does do much but lay around and sleep. i know cats sleep like 16 hours a day or something like that but i think maybe 2 hours a day hes up and about the rest is spent laying around and sleeping. i think he is depressed and here is why.

At the moment im living with fiance and his parents, and his parents have 2 outdoor cats. There in and out of the house all the time and he is an indoor cat. he likes to be around other cats but there never around. We have felt bad so we bought him a harness and leash and have taken him out side but it always ends with him freaking out wiggling, jumping and trying to get away. so we dont do that anymore.

I was wondering if any one had some suggestions to get him undepressed?
Play with him on a regular basis. Toss some paper balls, drag a string around, whatever will get him up and moving and interested in life. Brush him, toss some treats that he'll have to chase. Cats need mental stimulation and if he's an only cat, you'll have to be his companion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christalligator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Play with him on a regular basis. Toss some paper balls, drag a string around, whatever will get him up and moving and interested in life. Brush him, toss some treats that he'll have to chase. Cats need mental stimulation and if he's an only cat, you'll have to be his companion.
we try and play with him and he just lays there, doesnt even try to play, he is very spoiled and gets TONS of attention. So what i think we are going to do from now on is maybe a few times a week we are going to put his harness on him and take me out in to the backyard. we just did that and he is happy and playful. the only down fall is now when he sees anyone going for the door he runs over. so we have to keep an extra eye on him.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

we try and play with him and he just lays there, doesnt even try to play, he is very spoiled and gets TONS of attention. So what i think we are going to do from now on is maybe a few times a week we are going to put his harness on him and take me out in to the backyard. we just did that and he is happy and playful. the only down fall is now when he sees anyone going for the door he runs over. so we have to keep an extra eye on him.
It may be a matter of finding the right toy; something interactive that sparks his instinct to chase prey.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On a completely different note - when was his last vet check? Sometimes they act off/depressed because they are not feeling well.

christalligator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

On a completely different note - when was his last vet check? Sometimes they act off/depressed because they are not feeling well.
maybe a few months ago, i think it was in may because i remember harassing my fiance about taking him lol. but was like this before the visit as well.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

.. and he is an indoor cat. he likes to be around other cats but there never around...was wondering if any one had some suggestions to get him undepressed?
why don't you adopt another indoor cat to keep him company? That's why I adopted 2 cats from the local shelter, so they can have fun together when I'm not around, so they have each other when they are bored

christalligator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by David's Steph

why don't you adopt another indoor cat to keep him company? That's why I adopted 2 cats from the local shelter, so they can have fun together when I'm not around, so they have each other when they are bored
that was my first idea but we are living with my fiance's parents right now ( financial problems) and they already have 2 indoor/ outdoor cats and they dont want another one in the house. so i want to get another one when we get our own place, but that might not be for awhile, but ever since we took him outside today he has been spry and upbeat. so i think that is going to be the trick is maybe a few times a week take him out on his harness and leash for some fun.

christalligator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

Could you make some kind of enclosure so he could get the great outdoors but still be safe?
we are looking for one of those cages with the cage top that we can put on the grass