Low Calcium Bottled Water

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you talking about bottled water for yourself or your cats? I don't buy bottled water, didn't even know it had calcium in it. Someone else may be able to answer your question.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason your cat needs low-calcium water? I know some cats who have had urinary problems need to drink distilled water, but other than that I'm not aware of any importance to the calcium levels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Are you talking about bottled water for yourself or your cats? I don't buy bottled water, didn't even know it had calcium in it. Someone else may be able to answer your question.
For my cats. I've read a couple of posts were here where people talk about looking at calcium content when choosing water for their cats, especially male cats. I didn't realize it had calcium either nor that levels were important to look at. You learn something new every day.

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Is there a reason your cat needs low-calcium water? I know some cats who have had urinary problems need to drink distilled water, but other than that I'm not aware of any importance to the calcium levels.
My cat just had a bladder stone removed and we are still waiting for the analysis of it to see what it is made of. I'm just trying to do some reading and preparing for any diet changes that may be coming.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siamesedreams

My cat just had a bladder stone removed and we are still waiting for the analysis of it to see what it is made of. I'm just trying to do some reading and preparing for any diet changes that may be coming.
I've not heard of low calcium water. I do buy bottled water for our cat (and myself because we use a water softener which I don't want to drink), but I just buy spring water. I think the most important thing to avoid crystals and bladder stones is to just ensure your cat gets enough water. A wet food diet is recommended to ensure they get that moisture.

As for distilled water, I wouldn't recommend that for anything but steam irons and radiators. All the good stuff has been removed from distilled water so I wouldn't recommend it at all for mammal consumption.

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yosemite;2684160 said:
I've not heard of low calcium water. I do buy bottled water for our cat (and myself because we use a water softener which I don't want to drink), but I just buy spring water. I think the most important thing to avoid crystals and bladder stones is to just ensure your cat gets enough water. A wet food diet is recommended to ensure they get that moisture.

They are both very good about drinking water, they have a fountain and seem to really like it. Unfortunately he won't eat as much wet food as his sister and he is the one with the bladder stone. He eats a little but he would much rather have his dry. We've tried everything.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few conditions where a VET would advise low calcium diet overall... Distilled water is a debatable topic , what I have gooten from vets is avoid it

NATURAL water has a LOW LOW level of calcium and other minerals naturally , many reverse osmosis waters( common way of purifying bottled water ) are adding back the nutrients