Bizzare Foods (The anti whats on the menu tonight thread) :)

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watching Andrew Zimmern right now and it has me wondering about the limits of what I would eat.
Anyone who has seen the show know he eats, well bizzare stuff. I find it fascinating though, how cultures differ so much. ( i also love Anthony Bourdain's show, "No Reservations") I think it is gross to eat anythings innerds (have tried, just dont like the taste), but will happily snarf down a fat laden artery clogging Mig Mac.
What strange things do you eat? What would you never in a life time even go near? What have you eaten you consider bizzare? What would you like to try?
I have eaten raw octopus, did not like it. Like a fishy tasting rubberband.
I would like to try bugs, I know, ewwww, but a big part of so many cultures. I also want to try durian fruit. (apperantly the most revolting of all fruit)
Something I would never ever try, Balut, aka fetal duck egg soup. Yep, it is what is sounds like, and is possibly the most discusting thing I have ever seen. I would also not eat anythings brain, or its reproductive organs. He seem to do a lot of the latter. YUCK! Sorry, every time he consumes yet more testicles and describes the flavor and texture as "Creamy, like milk jello" A chill runs down my spine, and not at all in a good way. Ewwwww!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well...... Here is a dish I love, that I used to eat in Brasil:
Buchada:
This is a dish made with the goats' stomach... They clean it REALLY well, and make a balloon out of it. Then..... They stuff it with chopped tripe and seasoned, baked blood (sarapateu)... They cook it is a spicy stew sauce, and it is DELICIOUS! Served with steamed rice and farofa, which is a stuffing made of yucca flower. YUMMY!
Describing is awful though - I know

ETA: Things I would NOT go near: Bugs; caviar, raw fish eggs, brain...
I love Anthony Bourdain's show, but Andrew's show is too gross for my taste... He seems to do the shocking stuff only, while Anthony shows a more rounded facet of the places culinary culture...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Buchada:
This is a dish made with the goats' stomach... They clean it REALLY well, and make a balloon out of it. Then..... They stuff it with chopped tripe and seasoned, baked blood (sarapateu)... They cook it is a spicy stew sauce, and it is DELICIOUS! Served with steamed rice and farofa, which is a stuffing made of yucca flower. YUMMY!
Describing is awful though - I know
Well that sounds interesting! Does it taste of blood? I wont try blood anything because I don't like that iron mineral taste.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Buchada:

ETA: Things I would NOT go near: Bugs; caviar, raw fish eggs, brain...
I love Anthony Bourdain's show, but Andrew's show is too gross for my taste... He seems to do the shocking stuff only, while Anthony shows a more rounded facet of the places culinary culture...
His shows now show more of the cultural division to me more that just eating creepy stuff.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's very little that I wouldn't at least try, as long as it was considered normal food by some culture, the assumption in that being that there are people who don't consider it strange and aren't harmed by it. I think I would want it, whatever, to be prepared in a traditional way, by someone who is familiar with its use, so that I got to experience it in as authentic a way as possible.

There was a durian fruit at a party I went to a good number of years ago, and as I recall the smell was pretty revolting. I didn't actually get to taste it on that occasion, but I think I would, given another opportunity. I gather if you can get past the smell, it's really quite delicious.

I really like organ meats. Liver and kidney in particular are wonderful tasty treats; I've eaten heart and enjoyed it; I have not had tripe (stomach) or sweetbreads (brain), but would in a heartbeat if they were presented to me by someone who knew how to prepare them properly.

Caviar is wonderful, as is other fish roe. When we get prawns off the boat in late summer, they often have heavy loads of roe and it's lovely.

Carolina, that dish you describe sounds very interesting. A similar concept in some ways to Haggis -- another thing that I love.

I'm not into eating weird things simply for the sake of eating weird things, but presented as they would be eaten by people who don't consider them weird, I'm very much interested in experiencing them, and maybe discovering a new delicacy.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

There's very little that I wouldn't at least try, as long as it was considered normal food by some culture, the assumption in that being that there are people who don't consider it strange and aren't harmed by it. I think I would want it, whatever, to be prepared in a traditional way, by someone who is familiar with its use, so that I got to experience it in as authentic a way as possible.

There was a durian fruit at a party I went to a good number of years ago, and as I recall the smell was pretty revolting. I didn't actually get to taste it on that occasion, but I think I would, given another opportunity. I gather if you can get past the smell, it's really quite delicious.

I really like organ meats. Liver and kidney in particular are wonderful tasty treats; I've eaten heart and enjoyed it; I have not had tripe (stomach) or sweetbreads (brain), but would in a heartbeat if they were presented to me by someone who knew how to prepare them properly.

Caviar is wonderful, as is other fish roe. When we get prawns off the boat in late summer, they often have heavy loads of roe and it's lovely.

Carolina, that dish you describe sounds very interesting. A similar concept in some ways to Haggis -- another thing that I love.

I'm not into eating weird things simply for the sake of eating weird things, but presented as they would be eaten by people who don't consider them weird, I'm very much interested in experiencing them, and maybe discovering a new delicacy.
Not to be the annoying person, but sweetbreads are actually the thymus glands and pancreas glands. Those I would eat. Brain, no. Never tried either, but I don't like that taste of organ meat, too strong for me.
I won't eat any critters brain because it just it creeps me out, that is what is did it's thinking in, the true animal. Its fear still on the brain. Just no.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Not to be the annoying person, but sweetbreads are actually the thymus glands and pancreas glands. Those I would eat. Brain, no. Never tried either, but I don't like that taste of organ meat, too strong for me.
I won't eat any critters brain because it just it creeps me out, that is what is did it's thinking in, the true animal. Its fear still on the brain. Just no.
I sit corrected. Thank you.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've eaten BBQ goat and it was good. Not sure I could do it now, though. I have tried dried squid that someone brought back from Japan (very pungent) and escargot (to chewy for me). When I was in Mississippi, I tried crawfish (I thought it would taste like lobster...not to offend anyone, but it actually tasted like what I imagine a roach would). But the worst thing by far was caviar. It is just disgusting.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fran - I love haggis! I first tried it at Larnach Castle down in Dunedin for an event. At first I was a bit tentative but when I tasted it, I couldn't stop eating it! It was SO good!

Here in NZ people are known to dig into felled/rotten trees for huhu grubs http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/307066

Apparently they taste like peanuts. My brother works in the forestry industry and eats them on a regular basis.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of people find it weird that I eat sushi.

I should direct them to this thread.

I'd never eat anything's brains either. Or any part of the digestive track.

I like to say that I'd try anything once but lets face it...that's just not true. I wont eat anything that I find offensive to my nose, and I smell everything before I eat it.

If it stinks, chances are I'll start puking before it even touches my tongue.

One weird thing that I've always wanted to try is Czernina. I grew up in a very polish community, but unfortunately I never got to try this. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it is Duck Blood Soup.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll eat pretty much anything vegetarian.. which for a lot of people is weird. My favorite Thai place has fried tofu appetizer served with a sweet and sour mango sauce.. yumm.

I've had raw eel, salmon, beef (carpacio), tuna, and fish eggs.. not such big on those. The carpacio was ok though.. it just weirded me out.

I'm not eating bugs, intestines, hearts, livers, brains, or anything like that. I get grossed out enough when I think about eating chicken breasts! I ate chicken liver in Mexican food once and had no idea what it was, but I didn't like it from the start and finished it to be polite (I was told afterwards what it was).

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

OMG, I am so picky. I don't eat anything.
LOL....I think I'm the same way! I never thought of myself as picky, but I don't eat fish, seafood, or eggs. My boyfriend tries to get me to eat deer or moose and I just can't do it. More of a psychological thing than how it tastes, I think.

The most bizzare thing I eat is ketchup. People thing I put it on everything, but really, the only odd thing I put it on is potatoes...and that's not too different than french fries.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm watching Andrew Zimmern right now too

Sorry in advance, this is going to be long. I've eaten a LOT of different stuff!

Well, some people consider sushi "gross", however for me it's my favorite food. I've eaten a lot of different things, traveling all over the world helps with that
. My dad is from Germany, so I've pretty much eaten every German food out there. Blütwurst ist mein lieblings Deutsche Essen (think the grammar on that was right, I'm a lil' rusty)! Translated: Blood sausage is my favorite German food. There is also blood & tongue sausage, yum-o! There was this raw fish sandwich thing that I ate last summer when I was in Kiel & Düsseldorf over there that was awesome, but I can't quite remember the name. Starts with an N, that I know lol. When I was in France, I had my first taste of escargots (snails) and fell in love, along with frog legs. When I was in Australia I had my first taste of kangaroo, and that was freakin' awesome! If I could get easily here, I would in a heartbeat. It's a very good meat. I also had crocodile over there, and wasn't a fan. I'm originally from southern Florida, so my early years were filled with all sorts of sea-fair and such. I remember eating a lot of alligator. However, now I don't really care for it. I think I relate it to my crocodile experience, and get grossed out. There is an awesome polish restaurant in my area that serves a mean tripe soup and czernina (duck blood and plums/prunes or something, just tastes like prune juice). We own another house up north and my dad goes hunting up there, so I've had deer (venison), grouse (basically a mini-pheasant/chicken thing), bear, and porcupine. My mom has this Ojibwe cookbook that we got at the reservation up there, so she had my dad shoot one and we cooked it up. Now that was nasty, definitely not for me. There's probably a lot of other stuff dad's shot and I've eaten, just can't remember. Oh, last time I was up there I had a pickled egg... apparently they were a bad brand, and the bartender didn't tell us till afterwards. Normally anything pickled is awesome, but that egg was deadly
. I've also had ceviche- made with raw swordfish. Now that was some good stuff!!!

I am open to eating anything- bugs, eyeballs, brains, etc. To me it's a culture thing. Different cultures rely on different foods for nutrition, and I think that it's amazing to be able to experience them. Wonderful feeling to me. The one thing I don't care for is the iron, mineral taste of organs, like heart, liver, stuff like that. I'll try it, but I won't like it lol.

If ya ask me if I've eaten something, I probably have. (geez, I really need to stop typing so much!)

IMO, FYI: Eating with picky people drives me NUTS! I have been known to walk out on a meal because of severely picky eaters. Being picky doesn't bug me, it's eating with someone that's picky. People that eat everything may know what I'm talking about. I bet it's the same the other way around too with picky eaters. I hate when people tell me that what I'm eating is gross- thats's what gets to me. Or if they gag if I eat a piece of sushi or something, I feel like punching them. (I'm very protective of my weird eats! haha)

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

Or if they gag if I eat a piece of sushi or something, I feel like punching them. (I'm very protective of my weird eats! haha)
I may not eat everything that you posted about, but I am definately a huge sushi fan.

I want to punch anybody who tells me I'm gross for eating raw fish.
It's like.... I'm not forcing you to eat it, so shut up.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who is a chef and several years ago he invited me to attend the International Food Show in Toronto.

It was quite an interesting experience because it featured food from all different countries and cultures.

I tried a few things like silkworms, crickets and grasshoppers. I found since they were deep-fried they really didn't have much in the way of flavor themselves taking on the flavor of the sauces served with them.

I also tried rattlesnake, alligator and ostrich which was really good.

I was offered white-throated monkey but couldn't bring myself to eat that.

I guess all in all I can eat most anything as long as it's something I would think of as a pet.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I may not eat everything that you posted about, but I am definately a huge sushi fan.

I want to punch anybody who tells me I'm gross for eating raw fish.
It's like.... I'm not forcing you to eat it, so shut up.
Yay! Someone that agrees with me- I was afraid that that statement would be interpreted as cruel and mean and insulting, which I tried not to do. It also bugs me when people refuse to try something, and then say it's gross. That one sets me off too
If someone doesn't want to try it, then they shouldn't say anything insulting about it. Sorry, that's totally not what this whole topic was about. Just had to get it out there.

One thing that kinda weirds me out is Tofu- especially the thought that there is something called "stinky tofu"- anything called stinky is just odd to me. I'd try it, but still... I think for me it's a textural thing, since to me there is no big taste to tofu. (I tried the tofu thing when I was on my vegetarian kick- obviously it didn't last long
)

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

One thing that kinda weirds me out is Tofu- especially the thought that there is something called "stinky tofu"- anything called stinky is just odd to me. I'd try it, but still... I think for me it's a textural thing, since to me there is no big taste to tofu. (I tried the tofu thing when I was on my vegetarian kick- obviously it didn't last long
)
You know what, I don't really like Tofu either. I think it's all in the texture and lack of taste. I can get past texture if there's good taste, but the tofu I ate just kinda tasted like dirt...

And isn't Tofu one of those weird foods that is supposed to taste like whatever you cook it in?

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

You know what, I don't really like Tofu either. I think it's all in the texture and lack of taste. I can get past texture if there's good taste, but the tofu I ate just kinda tasted like dirt...

And isn't Tofu one of those weird foods that is supposed to taste like whatever you cook it in?
I think so... It's fine in miso soup, but plain it's just weird to me. I can't eat it plain.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it comes to vegetarian stuff, I have to say that I have seen vegetarian menus on some cruises that tempted me to try stuff off it. I like good vegetarian cooking.

I've had escargots before, but as someone else said, a lot of such things really have no taste, and just take on the taste of what they're cooked in. I make a pretty good fauxcargots, which is a sauteed button mushroom substituted for the snail.

I've tried calamari. It's OK, but again, not much taste.

I do like caviar, the black kind.