I am fed up with Eric's dog

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To make this very clear.... I don't hate dogs in the slightest. I just don't like THIS dog. Does that make sense? I do not like her personality one bit. I do not think cats are better then dogs and do not love one more then the other. They are completely different animals and should not be compared.

That being said I'll tell my story. A long time ago I posted over her behavior issues. While I was pregnant I did all I could to train this six year old 90lb dog because Eric who "loves her so much" never took the time to train her when he got her as a puppy. We got basic commands down, she is still impossible on the leash and begs. (Still working on those two) I am the one who walks her (Eric wont) I am the one who does all the grooming (baths and bushings), I play with her. I don't do these things because i like her, but because if I don't know one else will and I fell bad for her. My annoyance level is extra high with her because she has food aggression and snaps at anyone with in 5 feet of her food dish (well now its just the cats she does this too).

Well today Jaiden was playing with his toys on the floor and I was folding clothes on the couch (he was about 2 feet away from me) Comet was in her usual spot looking outside. Flower came up next to Jaiden and meowed her usual "Hi I am here, you can pet me now" meow. Here is where things with so fast, but I felt like I was in slow motion and unable to do anything. Comet turned and got in a very aggressive stance and growled Flower made a stance backed and hissed. Comet went flying at her Jaiden got hurt (not too sure the details on all this it was a black and white blur (Comet is black and Flower is white)) He was not bit I think he just got stepped on. I stood up grabbed Comet and the damn mutt (excuse my language) bit me! It did not break the skin, but did a good number to the pants I had on. So I threw her in her kennel, yes I know its not a punishment place, but we live in an apt and don't have a yard, Shut the door. Picked Jaiden up made sure he was ok, made sure Flower was not bleeding. Called the vet to set up an appointment for Flower to be positive she is ok. Txt Eric and now here I am writing this. I am shaking and my heart is racing.

What in the world just happened and what do I do???? I am so shaken up right now.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not a dog that I would want around small children at all.
I think it is in your best intest and hers to rehome her with someone who can handle her issues and has no other pets or kids.

I don't say this lightly at all, but a dog that large with aggression issues is asking for trouble around small pets and kids.

I think it's time you and Eric discuss this before someone (animal or human) is actually hurt.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered professional obedience training? It sounds like the situation is beyond your control now, a third party may help out a lot.
As I am sure you know, agression to the dog, though I completly understand given the frightning fast situation you were in, will not help anything.
Seek out a good school that will help you before you give up on this pup. Its not the dogs fault, as you said, proper training was not given early on, and you can only do so much with a child to look after.
I doubt rehoming an agressive dog will work, the dog will be put down.
Best of luck, and I hope Jaiden is OK! And Flower!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any dog that has bit should never ever be allowed around a toddler. I don't know what you should do.But do not allow the dog to have the chnace to bite your child. The dog should be kept in another room from your child when he is on the floor playing..

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I don't say this lightly at all, but a dog that large with aggression issues is asking for trouble around small pets and kids.

I think it's time you and Eric discuss this before someone (animal or human) is actually hurt.
If she bit you - even if she didn't break skin - keeping her around is asking for trouble. You have a huge untrained dog - who has done what I've seen many do - become dangerous due to lack of training.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If she bit you - even if she didn't break skin - keeping her around is asking for trouble. You have a huge untrained dog - who has done what I've seen many do - become dangerous due to lack of training.
Everyone seems to be pointing out the obvious without giving solutions. I have reccomended professional training for the dog. Are there any others?

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first question would be how the dog acted after things calmed down. With the hissing and growling between your two cats, the dog was preparing for some kind of fight. (I miseed the dog's name by the way). Maybe the dog thought that one cat was going to attack the other and was going to protect one. When you stepped in, you got bitten because of rediected aggression. It happens a lot when people break up dogfights. Dogs who would normally never bite their owners or any human might do so in the middle of a fight if a human gets involved. So this does not necessarily mean that the dog is inherently vicious, needs to be put down, or similar. If the dog calmed down immediately that is a good sign.

That said, dogs and toddlers generally do not mix. Something like 70 % of dog bites are to little kids and come from dogs that have never bitten before. A small child might squeal or do something to trigger a reaction that comes as a complete surprise to all involved. Another factor is if a dog thinks a small child is about to take away something precious like a bone or a toy. It's next to impossible to teach a toddler how to be dog-savvy, and while there are dogs that are absolutely safe around kids, it's often a case of "famous last words."

You said that the dog has resource guarding issues with food and this to me is the biggest red flag. It can be corrected but no serious trainer (and I am NOT a trainer or a behaviorist) will give you advice over the internet. My advice to you would be to get hold of a behaviorist who can observe the dog and give you lessons on how to fix the resource guarding, and keep your eye on child and dog at all times if they are together.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

That is not a dog that I would want around small children at all.
I think it is in your best intest and hers to rehome her with someone who can handle her issues and has no other pets or kids.

I am sorry but this dog would be gone. I would not allow him near my baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Have you considered professional obedience training? It sounds like the situation is beyond your control now, a third party may help out a lot.
As I am sure you know, agression to the dog, though I completly understand given the frightning fast situation you were in, will not help anything.
Seek out a good school that will help you before you give up on this pup. Its not the dogs fault, as you said, proper training was not given early on, and you can only do so much with a child to look after.
I doubt rehoming an agressive dog will work, the dog will be put down.
Best of luck, and I hope Jaiden is OK! And Flower!
Thats what I am afraid of. If we took her to the shelter I think she would just be put down she is 7 years old and no one wants an aggressive pet.

Originally Posted by 2dogmom

My first question would be how the dog acted after things calmed down. With the hissing and growling between your two cats, the dog was preparing for some kind of fight. (I miseed the dog's name by the way). Maybe the dog thought that one cat was going to attack the other and was going to protect one. When you stepped in, you got bitten because of rediected aggression. It happens a lot when people break up dogfights. Dogs who would normally never bite their owners or any human might do so in the middle of a fight if a human gets involved. So this does not necessarily mean that the dog is inherently vicious, needs to be put down, or similar. If the dog calmed down immediately that is a good sign.

That said, dogs and toddlers generally do not mix. Something like 70 % of dog bites are to little kids and come from dogs that have never bitten before. A small child might squeal or do something to trigger a reaction that comes as a complete surprise to all involved. Another factor is if a dog thinks a small child is about to take away something precious like a bone or a toy. It's next to impossible to teach a toddler how to be dog-savvy, and while there are dogs that are absolutely safe around kids, it's often a case of "famous last words."

You said that the dog has resource guarding issues with food and this to me is the biggest red flag. It can be corrected but no serious trainer (and I am NOT a trainer or a behaviorist) will give you advice over the internet. My advice to you would be to get hold of a behaviorist who can observe the dog and give you lessons on how to fix the resource guarding, and keep your eye on child and dog at all times if they are together.
It was actually Comet (the pup) who growled at Flower. Our other cat was MIA when all this went down. Thank goodness not sure how I could have broken up a fight between 3 animals and get Jaiden out of harms way.

I am positive that I just got caught in the crossfire. Witch is why I got bit. I threw her in her Kennel so I am not sure if she calmed down or just accepted that she was not going anywhere. When I finally got Jaiden to stop crying I let her out and she just hung her head real low and went and laid down.

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am sorry but this dog would be gone. I would not allow him near my baby
To be totally honest I wanted to get rid of the dog before Jaiden was born.

I know I sound like the classic idiot parent when I say this, but there just never had been an issue before. I never leave Jaiden in a room alone with any of the pets and he is never more then a few feet away from me. She was not out to hurt him, but did when she was trying to get to Flower.

I hate to be the "nothing like this has ever happened before" person, but is has not. It will not happen again thats for sure. I put up a baby gate at the end of the hall so what ever side Jaiden is on Comet will be on the other.

When Eric gets home we will just have to have a good talk about this. I will have to look into a behaviorist. See if I can find one we can afford and if we can't we just will be vegetarians for a few weeks.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I messed that up, it read to me like there was about the be a catfight and the dog wanted in on it. But the outcome is the same, animals were about to go at it, you broke it up and got bit.

You do not sound like an idiot at all and I think you can look at the bright side. You got an early warning that there is a problem and it is serious enough that your husband will take it seriously. If all you lost is a pair of pants then that is not such a bad way to learn that something needs to be done. Some parents are not so lucky. And as you saw, once it starts you have to be very fast to stop something bad from happening. One more thing, the fact that Comet did not break the skin is a good sign. This says that whatever problems Comet has, she understands something about bite inhibition. Some dogs will break skin (no bite inhibition) or even chomp down (aggression.) Since she hung her head low she also understands that you are not happy with her so frankly this does not sound like an aggressive dog at all. It sounds more like there is a lack of training which can easily be fixed and also a resource guarding problem which is trickier but not impossible to fix.

Good luck it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry I messed that up, it read to me like there was about the be a catfight and the dog wanted in on it. But the outcome is the same, animals were about to go at it, you broke it up and got bit.

You do not sound like an idiot at all and I think you can look at the bright side. You got an early warning that there is a problem and it is serious enough that your husband will take it seriously. If all you lost is a pair of pants then that is not such a bad way to learn that something needs to be done. Some parents are not so lucky. And as you saw, once it starts you have to be very fast to stop something bad from happening. One more thing, the fact that Comet did not break the skin is a good sign. This says that whatever problems Comet has, she understands something about bite inhibition. Some dogs will break skin (no bite inhibition) or even chomp down (aggression.) Since she hung her head low she also understands that you are not happy with her so frankly this does not sound like an aggressive dog at all. It sounds more like there is a lack of training which can easily be fixed and also a resource guarding problem which is trickier but not impossible to fix.

Good luck it sounds like you are doing all the right things.
I am just happy that no one was seriously hurt. The gate is up she could jump it if she wanted to, but has not yet. Just wines when I leave here out here alone. She knows I am not happy so naturally she is on her best behavior.
It is like a teenager trying to get ungrounded. "Oh you want me to sit? Not only will I sit but I'll stay also... don't be mad any more."

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Not literally i hope?
Oh gosh no, besides the fact that I would never hurt an animal. Even if I wanted to I could not throw Comet. Last time she got weighed she was like 92lbs. I grabbed her collar and lead her to it and shut the door behind he so I could get the rest of the mess sorted out. She was in it for no more then 30min. It took me like 20min to calm Jaiden down. My nerves were stressing him out his crying was stressing me out. It is a viscous cycle.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Everyone seems to be pointing out the obvious without giving solutions. I have reccomended professional training for the dog. Are there any others?
The problem is that the behavior is set and needs to be addressed and solved before training will do any good.

If the OP has the money and inclination to bring a behaviorist on board, the dog can still be 'fixed', but training alone will not be much use.
She does still need training though.

Given her size though, I would definitely not allow her near the baby.

My Bear is 95# without a bad behavior at all and adores kids, but he still is on leash at all times around kids because dogs can react poorly to anything and can cause harm without meaning to and usually too quickly for us to react to.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When you stepped in, you got bitten because of rediected aggression. It happens a lot when people break up dogfights. Dogs who would normally never bite their owners or any human might do so in the middle of a fight if a human gets involved. So this does not necessarily mean that the dog is inherently vicious, needs to be put down, or similar.
I agree with this. She doesn't sound (to me, over the Internet, in just this thread) like a truly aggressive dog. I do think a good behaviorist (not just a trainer!) would be a big help.

here's a link: http://www.iaabc.org/
Hopefully they can point you toward someone in your area. If you call your local rescues/shelters, they might have some recommendations, too.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I searched a few sites and can not find a behaviorist in are area. I am pretty much fed up at this point. She used up her second AND third chance tonight chance today.

I have been up sense 3am. Comet broke down the baby gate and pushed the door to Jaiden's room open. (It wont latch closed) Then stood in his room and barked. So that woke him up. So I get up get her out of his room, back on the other side of the baby gate, put the gate back up, get him put him in bed with us to nurse him back to sleep and maybe get some sleep myself.

Well guess what happens next?
I know I should not have trust the baby gate again, but it was 3am and my brain was a little foggy. She knockes over the gate again (now it was like 4am) I was unable to go back to sleep so I get up open the door she is eating out of the cat box (the gate used to be there to keep her from doing that) she runs into are bed room growls at the cats (not sure witch one) Flower gets pissed Jaiden wakes up (somewhere in there I put him back in his bed not too sure when I was half asleep. So I grab her get her in here kennel, again I know its not a place for punishment, but she has just proved to me that we need to crate her at night, head back to bed (4:30 at this point) Jaiden had put himself back to sleep (thank goodness) as I walk by the bath room I notice that ALL the kitty litter that WAS in it is now on the floor. So I clean it up go lay down and go figure I was wide awake and could not get back to sleep.

So I get up go to the kitchen and just start cleaning. (Witch is what everyone does at 5am right?) Make myself a pot of coffee because there is no going back to sleep now. Once I am up I am up. Eric's alarm goes off at 5:30 he gets up (lord only knows how he slept through all this) and "was like why are you awake?" At this point I just loose it. I am running on 4hrs sleep, I am angry beyond belief and just start crying. Something needs to happen and it needs to happen FAST. I have zero tolerance right now!

Now I do understand that I should not have trusted the gate a 2nd time. No I would never hit, hurt, neglect, or harm an animal in anyway. Because in the end she is just a dog. She does not know better, she SHOULD, but she doesn't. This rationalization was the ONLY thing keeping me from taking her collar off and shoving her out the door this morning. I know it sounds awful, I fell guilty for even thinking it, but lack of sleep and frustration drives us to crazy thoughts. (I would NEVER do anything like that I mean I was the crazy person walking in the forest with a leash one hand and treats in the other, Jaiden in the front pack, looking for the lost dog that I saw. Please don't think bad of me I am just expressing my feelings and frustrations in words not actions. I have to let it out somehow or I would explode.)

It just seams like EVERY reason I begged Eric to re-home Comet before Jaiden was born has decided to show its self all at once.

We have -$200 in the bank account right now and I have $50 cash I am going to call around and see what kind of training classes I can get her in ASAP.

I wanted to yell at Eric "Either you dog finds a new home or I will" this morning.

I was not with him we he got the dog. Personally I would have never gotten a dog unless i owned a house with a good sized yard, but thats just me. We have only lived together for a little over a year. I noticed the behavior problems with in the first week that I was here. I have been trying to work on them as much as I can, but things have gone far beyond what I can do alone.

I think I am just going to assume she does not know anything ans start from the beginning with her training. Any tips on what I should do while I am looking for a solution that will fit are budget?

And why in the world did all this just come out at once?? Sure the problems were always there and we were slowly on the right path to fixing them and then BAM huge break down.

And How in the world did Eric sleep through all of that???? If a pin drops 2 buildings away I wake up and once I am up I am up!

Thank you for reading my rant I am going to try and lay down again and just maybe get to close my eyes. Of cores I am sure as soon as I do all hell will break loose again. (As if I need more stress in my life
)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, this dog would not be in my house.

Sure you can do the training, and behavioural classes....but what are you going to do in the meantime? Can you keep your eyes on Jaiden ALL the time?

I'm sorry but, the dog would be rehomed if it were me.

(I am a dog person btw.... but first and foremost, I'm a mother)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a house? Is there any way you can build some kind of enclosure outside for the dog to live in? That way while you are working on the training she doesn't harm anyone...I would be afraid to let her live inside like this.
I don't think you should re home the dog...I personally don't trust new owners with any animal of mine, and when I get an animal I feel obligated to care for it no matter what so I kind of don't believe in re homing in general...then again I don't have any kids either and I never plan to so that changes things a lot. I hope it doesn't come to that point though.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Do you live in a house? Is there any way you can build some kind of enclosure outside for the dog to live in? That way while you are working on the training she doesn't harm anyone...I would be afraid to let her live inside like this.
I don't think you should re home the dog...I personally don't trust new owners with any animal of mine, and when I get an animal I feel obligated to care for it no matter what so I kind of don't believe in re homing in general...then again I don't have any kids either and I never plan to so that changes things a lot. I hope it doesn't come to that point though.
Nope we live in an apartment. Witch is why I think owning a 90lb dog is just stupid anyway. (It is not fair to the animal)

I agree, I do not trust other people to put as much effort into an animal as I am willing too, but I have reached my limit and she is no longer safe to be around my child.

I hate to pull the "It's me or the dog" card, but I am at a loss. I was telling Eric's sister about what happened yesterday and she was like "Well you need to get rid of your cats then!"
Why his family defends this dog I don't know. I can only guess what they are going to say if we end up having to get rid of her. Witch is the path I am headed towards.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can just feel your frustration pouring out of the words you wrote! You poor poor thing, I cannot imagine having to deal with all of that at one shot.

Comet probably acted up in the middle of the night because she was seeking attention after being barred behind the baby gate. You and Eric haven't done that to her before, only barring the room where the cats' litter is, so she probably got confused and wanted reassurance that you weren't pushing her away.

Y'know, she sounds really annoying, but not vicious. Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting her near Jaiden, not till he's at least 16! What I'm saying is I think she could do with a second chance. Second chances cost money, time, and effort from both you AND Eric. I notice his involvement seems to be very close to zero... But both of you need to be consistent pack leaders to Comet.

I really hope you're able to find someone who can help your family and poor confused Comet. At this point, if she is rehomed, she will likely be put down because her new family won't know her like you do and may not know the extent of her issues. One bite and she's gone.

And dear God I wish people would realise how much training should be done when a dog is still young before it grows into a 90lb mixed up battering ram! Sorry, I know I shouldn't be badmouthing Eric, but... that's really just how I feel about a lot of irresponsible dog owners.

I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. We're here for you whenever you need to rant and let off steam.