TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do cats know when there is a baby in meowmys tummy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do cats know when there is a baby in meowmys tummy?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have been wondering how my furbabies will react when the baby is born, will they like her, will they be afraid of her, will they protect her, will they be jealous. But most of all I was wondering, can they tell that there is a baby in my tummy? For like the first 5 months of pregnancy,my littlest one Lucky would constantly sleep on my tummy and purr ever so loudly. But for the past 3 months or so My oldest Smokey constantly curls up in bed with me right up against my tummy and he wont get up until i get up. And the cutest thing is when she kicks, (i am 37 weeks now so she kicks hard and rolls a good bit) he will start kneading bread right where she is kicking. But i rest alot because my wonderful Hammy does all the cleaning and cooking and just lets me sleep when i want so anytime i even make a movement towards the bedroom Smokey is running to the door to wait for me to open the door and lay down on the bed. Does anyone with experience with kitties and newborns have any wisdom on how they are gonna react to her. I have a feeling Smokey is gonna lay at her crib all the time and follow me around when i am holding her but i just dont know since this is my first human baby.
post #2 of 11
My daughter had 2 cats when her daughter was born. They inspected her right away, one loved her and the other just ignored her. The one that loved her as a newborn is still her best buddy four years later.
post #3 of 11
Your body chemistry is changing, and that will impact on how you smell. When the baby develops its own heartbeat, they will certainly be able to hear that.

How they adjust depends on you. There are lots of resources, on this board, elsewhere online, and in print about how you can prepare the cats for the anticipated addition to the household.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf View Post
But most of all I was wondering, can they tell that there is a baby in my tummy?
I think they can, my sister is 8 months along and visits the cats every week. They all run to get onto her lap and tummy, they just want to sit on her since she's been pregnant.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kat2 View Post
The one that loved her as a newborn is still her best buddy four years later.
awww that is tooo cute.

I think that they will do fine with her. i have been researching a little on how to introduce and we have decided on a couple things to do before she comes home so i guess for now we just wait and see.
post #6 of 11
There is one thing you can do before you bring the baby home from the hospital. Take a receiving blanket with you and ask the nurses to wrap her in it immediately, before she's had a bath. That will put her scent on the blanket. If you hold her while she's in the blanket then your scent will be on it as well. Have your husband take the blanket home and put it in the cats' bed or under their food dishes. That way they associate the new scent with you and with something pleasant at home. When you take the new baby home it won't feel like a total invasion to the kitties.
post #7 of 11
I'm 9weeks 6days along and my one furbaby, the only male, Domino wont sleep with me or lay with me anymore. thinking back this started probably right before i missed my first monthly. maybe he could smell that something was going on.
post #8 of 11
When I was pregnant with Jaiden Figaro would lay on my tummy and purr and Flower would curl up to my tummy when I would lay on my side. One time Figaro was laying on my tummy and Jaiden kicked him and he started to purr. I really believe they knew that I was pregnant.
post #9 of 11
I don't have experience with CATS and pregnancy/new babies...but I was living with my sister and her husband when I was pregnant with my daughter (ten years ago), and their two boxer dogs. The one that knew me the most, Daisy, used to spend time guarding me CONSTANTLY. She used to lay in my doorway or next to the bed, guarding me, and would come over now and then and wake me, with this look like she was just making sure I was okay. She was so wonderful...and my sister didn't let her around the baby, but I'm sure she would've been the gentlest of giants. She was a truly special dog...I miss her like mad (she passed away a couple years ago from neglect...they just didn't love her like I did).

My point is...animals definitely know. Consider their wonderful hearing...I'm sure they can hear the movement, probably even the baby's heartbeat. Not to mention, feel the kicking! Daisy used to also lay in my lap (BIG DOG, too) and didn't want to be away from me for a single moment...she was so protective.

I'm sure if they're already laying around you, doing their kitty best to guard you, and say hello to the baby, they'll be wonderful around he/she once they're born. Heck, I think their actions are their attempt to put your mind at ease and let you know that they already accept the baby as part of the family.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyandwaf View Post
I have been wondering how my furbabies will react when the baby is born, will they like her, will they be afraid of her, will they protect her, will they be jealous. But most of all I was wondering, can they tell that there is a baby in my tummy? For like the first 5 months of pregnancy,my littlest one Lucky would constantly sleep on my tummy and purr ever so loudly. But for the past 3 months or so My oldest Smokey constantly curls up in bed with me right up against my tummy and he wont get up until i get up. And the cutest thing is when she kicks, (i am 37 weeks now so she kicks hard and rolls a good bit) he will start kneading bread right where she is kicking. But i rest alot because my wonderful Hammy does all the cleaning and cooking and just lets me sleep when i want so anytime i even make a movement towards the bedroom Smokey is running to the door to wait for me to open the door and lay down on the bed. Does anyone with experience with kitties and newborns have any wisdom on how they are gonna react to her. I have a feeling Smokey is gonna lay at her crib all the time and follow me around when i am holding her but i just dont know since this is my first human baby.
Aaaawww that is just about the sweetest thing I have ever heard! How wonderful for you that your kitties are just so loving to you and future baby girl. Congratulations by the way I don't think you are going to have to worry about a thing!
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
thank you all that puts my mind at ease. My kitties are all really loveable anyhow so i didnt really have much concern but now that i have read the replies i feel there is nothing at all to worry bout now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do cats know when there is a baby in meowmys tummy?