Tuxedo's eating litter again

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In 2004, when Tuxedo was eating litter, a vet at our vet's practice said it was nothing to worry about (our regular vet was on vacation).

Well - it was something to worry about! He'd just had his physical, and his blood work was normal. This is why I always advise people to get their pets to the vet if they suspect they're sick even if they were just recently at the vet - because had they drawn blood then, it would have revealed a low red blood cell count.

Turns out Tuxedo had some type of autoimmune disease where his body basically thought his red blood cells were like a virus. He had become extremely anemic, his heart and liver enlarged. It wasn't technically feline hemolytic anemia. But our vet worked for months to figure it out. In the meantime, Tuxedo had to undergo a blood transfusion. At one point they tried to give him another one, but couldn't (cats have much more "complicated" blood than people, and often after one transfusion, their body rejects another (the blood clots so can't be transfused)).

We almost lost him twice. We will never forget that day that the vet said "I'm out of bullets" - and his hematocrit was 7. (Normal is 25 - 40, below 25 anemic, and below 15 - 18 not survivable for long).

We had to take him to the vet daily for months for shots of nupogen and epogen. In fact, it's why we moved out of our RV and into a house - it was just 10 minutes from the vet.

As a last resort, the vet gave him a shot of depomedrol as opposed to the prednisone pill.

IT WORKED! He had to go weekly for the shot. Then every other week. The time between shots got longer and longer.

Finally, earlier this year - he hadn't needed a depo shot since - June 2008. We continued to take him to the vet every 3, then four months. But in April, the vet declared Tuxedo officially "out of the woods."

Well, on Tuesday I thought I saw him licking litter, but I wasn't sure. Today I saw him lean into the litter box, so I walked over. He was not just sniffing around. He was licking litter.

He still looks very "pink" (when anemic, his gums and paw pads where basically white). But we've got an appointment at the vet for Friday.

If you could spare any vibes for our baby boy, we'd really appreciate it! I just hope that if he is becoming anemic again, that the depomedrol continues to work its magic.

Laurie

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. for Tuxedo and
for you. Poor Tuxedo doesn't need to go through this again and you and Gary don't need the stress. Poor baby. I hope he is okay.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

If you could spare any vibes for our baby boy, we'd really appreciate it! I just hope that if he is becoming anemic again, that the depomedrol continues to work its magic.

Laurie
Mega for Tuxie...... He is a fighter, he's already proven that
I hope the dm shot works

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh no Laurie!!!
I sincerely hope that it is not his disorder coming back

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Laurie.... Many many vibes for this to be nothing, and for him to not get sick again...

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just curious... but did the vet give you a name for the disorder?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

just curious... but did the vet give you a name for the disorder?
No, it didn't fall into any "known" disease or autoimmune disease. It is closest to feline hemolytic anemia.

If you want to read up on anemia in cats: http://www.2ndchance.info/anemia.htm
Feline Hemolytic Anemia: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/askDr/anemia.htm

The problem is that when blood work finally was done, he had both a very low red AND white blood cell count. Then when he had the bone marrow biopsy, it indicated he had non-regenerative anemia (he wasn't making red blood cells). So he had to get nupogen (to stimulate white blood cell production) and epogen (to stimulate red blood cell production). Immune-modulated Feline Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) is regenerative anemia, but where the red blood cells are defective (essentially) and the body destroys them like it would a virus. But that results in an elevated white blood cell count. I don't remember the timeline, because the worst of it was over a two-year period. At some point he began producing the red and white blood cells on his own, but his body continued to "attack" the red blood cells as if they were a virus - thus it morphed into the presentation of IMHA. There were definitely glimmers of hope along the way as the prednisone suppressed his immune system....

The problem is that there are apparently a LOT of diseases that can cause anemia. When the major list had been crossed out (a FORTUNE in testing), and Doc had done boatloads of research and talked to every feline hematologist in the country, he got to the point he was basically "out of bullets," but decided to treat it like hemolytic anemia (which is typically treated with depo instead of prednisone).

...and that worked. But he didn't exhibit classic symptoms (particularly blood work profile and the fact that it was initially non-regenerative) that said to anyone "Hemolytic Anemia." It was like his bone marrow stopped working like it does with leukemia... and then it slowly started to crank up again in fits and starts (his PVC would get up to 17, then fall back to 12, get up to 21, then fall back to 15 &etc.)

The bottom line is that it has simply been classified as an unknown autoimmune disorder.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, he was eating litter again because his hematocrit is low.

Normal is 30-40, low is 25-30, below 24 is anemic. When we were there in April, he was 36. Today he was 25.

He got a full shot of depo - the first one in over a year. Doc says he looks and sounds great. We've gotten his weight up to over 12 pounds, and Doc was VERY pleased at how solid he felt. No issues with his liver or heart. We won't have the full blood panel results until a week from Monday because Doc's on vacation next week and we want his take on it, knowing Tuxie as well as he does. Doc says that what this means is that whatever is in him causing the anemia is still in him.

We just hope the depo continues to suppress it.

Laurie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, at least the levels are not too low this time... Sounds to me you got there just in time.
It is wonderful news that there is no other problems with him, and that he otherwise is doing wonderful!

Have you thought about Transfer Factor? The regular Transfer factor (not the plus), is used by many vets as a immune moderator, great for immune-mediated diseases... Just a thought; IMO it wouldn't hurt.
Continued vibes and hugs