Safest way to remove knots

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a MHD fellow who has a small knot on his left flank. He had a bigger one on his right flank a while ago, I carefully cut into it and took out as much as I could. Then I let it grow out and simply brushed it out.

Now, this new one is about the size of large quarter, and not very thick. It is right close to his skin. He doesn't want me brushing at it. I don't want it to get bigger, but can't get at it without his interference.

Should I just perservere and gently pull at it till I can get it loosened? Is there anything I can put on it to start breaking it up? These knots really sneak up on me...I brush him and am always feeling for knots....I don't know how this one got started so fast.

Thanks for any help and suggestions...and Samson thanks you too

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxiecat03

I have a MHD fellow who has a small knot on his left flank. He had a bigger one on his right flank a while ago, I carefully cut into it and took out as much as I could. Then I let it grow out and simply brushed it out.

Now, this new one is about the size of large quarter, and not very thick. It is right close to his skin. He doesn't want me brushing at it. I don't want it to get bigger, but can't get at it without his interference.

Should I just perservere and gently pull at it till I can get it loosened? Is there anything I can put on it to start breaking it up? These knots really sneak up on me...I brush him and am always feeling for knots....I don't know how this one got started so fast.

Thanks for any help and suggestions...and Samson thanks you too
A little conditioner rubbed into it might help; something to oil it up and loosen it. Cowboy Magic (bought at a horse supply perhaps) works great on dog-knots, don't see why it couldn't help on a cat knot!

yourlovingcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can get a comb under the knot, then you should be able to cut it off without a chance of hurting your cat. Otherwise, what I often do when my persians get knots is to use my fingernails to scratch under the knot and trying to work it away from the skin until I can get it out. My cats like the extra attention

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that suggestion, Allmycats. I don't live anywhere near a horse supply place, maybe I'll try regular hair conditioner...like I use on my own hair....can't hurt! I'll make sure I wash it out so he doesn't lick at it. Maybe if the conditioner loosens it up enough...I will be able to comb through it and not have to remove the hair.....I hope so!

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Yourlovingcat, and Motoko9....for your suggestions. I read through the link you provided Motoko9...and I was agreeing with everything that was said. I've tried it all.

I agree with the fact that a cat with that soft cottony undercoat will get mats very often. That type of fur sort of 'pastes' together.

I have a flea comb....and I will use it to 'brush' him. It's true that the regular brushes have bristles too far apart to catch an early matt-in-progress!!

He doesn't have much fat under his fur, so I will be careful with the pressure. He loves to be brushed so I won't have any problem doing that.

In the meantime...I will use a bit of hair conditioner to loosen the matt and if that doesn't work...I'll take my tiniest bladed manicure scissors and cut through it to break it up. Then he'll get the flea comb treatment to stop any others from forming.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I truly appreciate it !!!

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if it's in a lickable spot try olive oil, at least that way you can leave it in and not worry about it....

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

if it's in a lickable spot try olive oil, at least that way you can leave it in and not worry about it....
Okay, I'll use that...thanks for the hint, Zazi. I might try it tonight...let him calm down from my brushing efforts of yesterday...