What is my cat "saying"?

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 year old tabby boy - neutered. He's normally very quiet but I've noticed that when I let him out on the screened-in front porch and the cat from across the street comes over and looks at him through the screen, my cat meows - a very throaty meow, over and over again. He almost sounds mournful, like he's crying! He isn't hissing or scratching at the screen so I don't know if he's upset that another cat is there or he's sad because they can't play together or if he's angry or...I don't know. Any ideas from other cat owners? I'm just curious. The other cat is a male, I think.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a "lonely" type meow, kinda like a "come meet me, let's be friends!" type of thing. Mine do that when they see me outside- like if the window's open in my upper flat of the duplex, and they are in the screened windowsill, they will make the saddest, yet most welcoming sounds ever. Like they are crying for me to come back in- it's ridiculous sometimes. It's gotten to the point where the neighbors think I'm crazy and so are my cats (even though we are lol).

Do you have another cat? Maybe he wants a buddy to play with, who knows. I don't think he's upset- you'd know if he were upset, trust me!

I would say if possible, get him a buddy. That's what I'd do! If not, the interaction through the screen is probably good for him- getting to see another cat can be a great experience for a single cat

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I would say if possible, get him a buddy. That's what I'd do! If not, the interaction through the screen is probably good for him- getting to see another cat can be a great experience for a single cat
Unless he's like my Zane who hates other cats. Hates 'em, hates 'em, HATES 'EM.

cattoys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
maybe your cat is just sad that he cant go outside to play... how about getting him a new buddy he can play with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could. My husband is really allergic to cats and even having ONE has been tough on his allergies. He just started treatment, though, and he's allergic to lots of other things...so I'm hopeful that as his allergies come under control, we can get another cat. Meanwhile, we'll just give lots of love and attention to this one.