Why Thailand?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like quite a few canned cat foods are manufactured in Thailand. I'm just curious as to why....

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap seafood too...overall, I have been happy with the quality of the foods I've bought that were made in Thailand...I know I like Thai food

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I must imagine you are referring to Weruva and another company exclusively.

Well it's not the labor, its the actually fishing. Plus if you read into that company their website alludes that the owners of the Thai factory are family friends.

The owner of my awesome premium only petshop claimed that the same Thai fish company supplies Subway with all the tuna for their subs.

And as far as labor being cheaper, or product, Weruva is one of the highest priced products at my store.

I like their concept of "human grade" but in the end I think they do what the human wants to see.
Their chicken cans are just breast meat, which is fine if I go broke and get hungry, but where is the darker meat and organ meat my kittie likes.

To close, I think there is still space for a competing super premium in America.

Sell a product that is human grade, organic, clean and cruelty free and you got me as a customer.
I would pay easily 2$ a can if I could be as faithful in it's safety and purity as I do for my own food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weruva, Tiki (I think), and Solid Gold Tuna are the ones I know of.

I suspected the cheap seafood had something to do with it....The other possible reason I came up with was lower quality standards...and I hope that's not the case.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

Weruva, Tiki (I think), and Solid Gold Tuna are the ones I know of.

I suspected the cheap seafood had something to do with it....The other possible reason I came up with was lower quality standards...and I hope that's not the case.
nope, not lower quality standards, since it is going to be sold in the US, it needs to follow US food regulations.
Tiki's fish come from Thailand, and it is very good quality... Their factories are human grade, and all the fish is human grade fish.
Thailand is in the south pacific, where mercury levels and pollutants are the lowest level, making the best and safest place to get large fish; i.e. Tuna.
For that reason alone I am already happy to feed Tiki...