Does your vet make follow up calls?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Belle and Delilah had their check up last week and Belle had a swollen lip, likely from some sort of allergic reaction. The vet looked at it, said she wasn't too concerned yet, but that I should keep an eye on it and call if it got any worse and I could bring her in for a steroid shot.

When I was paying, the vet tech said they would call me back in a week or two to check on how Belle's lip was doing. They've done this before....such as to check on how Belle and Delilah were healing after their spay surgery and a couple of times when Zoey was sick. It's always a vet tech that calls, but it is nice to have the follow up, and the vet techs at my clinic are wonderful.

I was wondering if everyone's vet has this practice of calling YOU back to check, instead of the client always having to be the one to call if there is a problem. Or is it just a special thing that my clinic does?

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has a couple times when it was an ongoing situation or when one had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very lucky and blessed to have a team of 3 vets that care a LOT about their patients/customers. I'm always getting calls about Pirate, who is constantly sick with something. We thought it was feline herpes, but now we suspect it's just allergies to himself and his environment year-round. It's very nice to get calls every once and awhile just showing that they care about him, asking if he needs to be seen, needs a refill on meds, if I want to try a different course of treatment, or just to ask if he's having a flare-up of whatever he's got and what his symptoms are at that time. This is also partially because no one knows EXACTLY is ailing my poor little baby boy, so the more info that can be collected and the more treatments we rule out or in the closer we get to a specific ailment.

Like today, when they called to ask about the new round of meds (steroids) that were started, Dr. Brad also asked about his newly found "inverted nipple" lol. To me that shows that they really cares (basically because an inverted nipple is technically harmless, just me overreacting and thinking it's a malignant, deadly tumor
).

Geez, I really need to learn to type WAY less... I'll get better with time hopefully!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm usually calling my vet anyways for something - so I'm often calling them when they say "you're on our list of follow-up calls....how is ---- doing?"

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked at a Vet's office the doctors would follow up on any case they felt merited more attention, like hoping the patient would get better or fearing that the condition might get worse, trying new meds etc. etc... etc.. The Vet techs would do more routine follow-up calls like post-op calls etc... 'how's fluffy doing after her spay?' or pre-surgery calls. The docs would have us put notes in the computer that would flag a pet for a phone recheck by a vet in a certain number of days.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just registered with our new vet and the kids have just had their yearly check up so i'm not sure if they do or not?. But that's lovely that they did that

What i do know is i got good vibes with my new vet and his practice when they went, and that speaks volumes straight away for me, because this is the 4th vet i've been with and the only one that has a good bedside manner with my kids, and he never hurry's you out the door

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sunny's vet calls us often just to check up on him. He's been fine for the past 6-8 months, but she still calls. The entire office is just in love with Sunny. They take him from my arms and pass him around. It seems they love him as much as we do!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

My vet also kissed Xander on the head to say goodbye after his last checkup
I thought that was sweet.
Awww now that is!. Jack got "He's a fine strapping boy!" and i thought i needed surgery to remove the smile off my face hearing that

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Awww now that is!. Jack got "He's a fine strapping boy!" and i thought i needed surgery to remove the smile off my face hearing that
I think it would be lovely if your vet made a follow up call Susan - perhaps he could just drop by to see how your lovelies are doing.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie goes to a partnership, and whichever vet sees him will make follow-up calls unless he's just been in for a routine check-up. That's one of the reasons we've been taking pets to that vets' office for over 25 years.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet techs make followup calls for every single appointment, even routine exams. If it's the kind of thing where the cat needs to be monitored closely (like post-surgery or injury), the doctor calls us herself.