Soaking dry food in water

lovemycats74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to soak dry food in water and give it to my cats to eat? One of my cats really likes it that way. I mix about 2 cups of dry food with 2.5 cups of water, soak for 2 hours, smoosh it and keep it in the fridge until gone. Do you see any harm in doing this?

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In our heat and humidity here I've seen it grew mold quickly when the ferals don't eat all I've out out for them, in an indoor controlled climate I don't think a small amount would be dangerous but I wouldn't leave out more than they would eat at one sitting.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several people told me that bacteria grows very quickly when you mix dry food with water, and that the food should be consumed within 30 minutes...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Several people told me that bacteria grows very quickly when you mix dry food with water, and that the food should be consumed within 30 minutes...
That is also my understanding. The more knowledgable folks don't recommend it. It is better to buy a wet food that is not so pricey but fair quality. Sharky is our resident guru on food - she will be along to guide you.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't store it in the fridge. I would only make as much as your cat needs to eat, and dispose of the leftovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycats74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will stop doing it then, I don't want my baby to get sick. The reason why I started this is because Angel won't eat any wet food. I tried several types. He only likes dry. I didn't do it because I wanted to save money. He just really likes it that way. I guess I will keep trying to find a wet food he will eat.
Thanks guys.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's funny, the one of mine who absolutely refuses anything but kibble is also named Ange! My grand daughter named her, after a few encounters the vet techs all choke on her name, she is so far from angelic! Ten pounds of Siamese mix determination, she rules the house even with only three legs!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder why that is..why so many cats refuse can? Gigi will eat it, but it takes hours. I'll dish some out, put it back (fridge); take it out a few hours later...eats a little, put back; and one more time. Then at night I wind up giving her a handful of crunchies...which are gone by morning. Eventually she eats her wet food, but she sure isn't a member of the clean plate club and would much rather crunch all night! Argh! Why?? I've had cats that were the opposite..totally spoiled to "cannie" and wouldn't eat their dry without it! I tried adding chicken broth to Gigi's crunchies once and she refused to eat it. Humph!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycats74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, it's so crazy. My other cat only eats wet but I have to sprinkle it with fresh chicken or turkey pieces otherwise whe won't eat it. Her name is princess!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do this everyday. Soaked in the fridge. It is eaten within minutes of serving.
This is the cat that eats ANYTHING edible when the opportunity presents itself, from salad, popcorn, fruits, vegetables, just anything, cold, hot, doesn't matter.

cattoys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think its ok to do it that way especially if your pet love it that way.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After Fiona had oral surgery, our vet tech recommended either giving her canned food OR soaking her food before feeding it to her. She didn't mention the possibility of bacteria...

It didn't end up mattering though, because even with stitches in her mouth, Fiona would only eat hard food anyway.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I've written (complained!) several times, my cats are very picky about canned food. Have you tried different textures? Some like shredded meat in gravy but dislike the pate or loaf-style foods.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

As I've written (complained!) several times, my cats are very picky about canned food. Have you tried different textures? Some like shredded meat in gravy but dislike the pate or loaf-style foods.
I ended up trying about 12 different wet foods before I found 2 flavours of Merricks that Bijou would eat.

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started adding water to Cupidos dry
I time it 15min then serve it 15min then throw it out
I think I will wean him off dry as soon as I have enough wet foods

the person with the no canned food kitty
have you tried freeze dried like stella and chewys or wysong archetype

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I ended up trying about 12 different wet foods before I found 2 flavours of Merricks that Bijou would eat.
Do you think it's a coincidence that Bijou and two of my guys are Siamese? Maybe...but my cats do seem opinionated sometimes!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current foster kittens will not eat dry, so I mix a handful of kitten kibble with water and half a small can of wet. It only takes a couple of minutes for the dry food to absorb the water, by which time I usually have three or four kittens climbing up my legs! They eat every scrap within five minutes of it going on the floor, so there is no question of it getting mould. They get four meals like that a day. They also have a bowl of just dry, but are only learning to like it gradually.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had a single cat eat dry food moistened--all of Ginger's kitten refused it as well.

Leslie

automaton2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a can of before grain chicken added it to moistened dry
it got rid of constipation but loose stools wasnt my goal
I am going to try evo 95% chicken and turkey next