Any1 have experience with teeth trimming?

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My older cat, Prissy, is literally getting "long in the tooth". Her top canines on both sides look like they belong to a sabertooth cat, not a little tux house kitty. I've noticed she has a little more trouble eating than she used to, and especially compared to the other ravenous beasts that live here.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting their cat's teeth filed or trimmed, and what your results with it were. I also want to know if you got it done at a vet's office, or at a groomer's, and how much it cost to get it done.

I'm just worried about my kitty. She's down a few ounces from her last weigh in a few months ago. I keep thinking that trimming her fangs will help her gain back a little, but I don't wanna do it without some info first. Thanks all.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't experienced that situation nor have I heard of it. Have you called any groomers and/or vets to ask about this? I'd probably start with calling a groomer and then go to the vet. It would seem to me though that this would be something where anaesthetic would most likely be involved and therefore done at a vet's office, assuming it is even ever done.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what is happeing with my friends cat and no one know what it is.
I wish I could help but no one has been able to help Matt my friends cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure you can't trim teeth without causing a great deal of nerve pain. I chipped a tooth once and it was pretty bad. I've never even heard of it being done. I would guess that if her teeth are that bad, the only thing that can be done would be to remove them. But consulting a vet is really your only option.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by janinvan

I say let em grow..sounds like he's unique!
Unique is good - not being able to eat is not good.

Cats don't chew - their jaws only go up and down, not side to side so mostly if the food is in small pieces they just swallow it whole. If you find he is having more and more trouble eating and still losing weight, I would consider having them pulled.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I've seen a cat with K-9's that appear to have grown longer was because the teeth had gone bad and were slowly being pushed out or falling out of her mouth. She had to go to the vet and have them removed. She's had no problem chewing or eating after the removal.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If chewing is difficult, what about using a ground-up style soft food that the cat doesn't absolutely have to chew, rather than some radical dental procedure? If the procedure is needed for another reason, of course, go for it...but if it would just be convenience, that seems a bit harsh.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

If chewing is difficult, what about using a ground-up style soft food that the cat doesn't absolutely have to chew, rather than some radical dental procedure? If the procedure is needed for another reason, of course, go for it...but if it would just be convenience, that seems a bit harsh.
Since cats don't "chew", having no teeth is not an issue with regard to eating. Bad teeth or teeth that are too long and prevent them eating is worth worrying about. In those instances it would be humane rather than harsh to have the teeth removed.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also wonder if the upper teeth will start to cause problems with the lower teeth and gums, and the lower lip.
I would not consider removing the fangs inhumane at all if the cat is having problems eating.
I had an old cat with NO teeth at all (I got her that way) And just try to stand in the way of her and her food bowl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was all very good information. I've been a bit busy with kitten drama the last few days! I'm going to try to get a decent picture of her teeth, but she does not like me messing with her mouth today. It is a problem with her bottom jaw. The teeth are sort of pressing down her lower lip and pressin in on her gums. The canines aren't loose, they are still very firmly attached. They are just way too long. I've had a similar problem before with rabbits, but we would just give them a big piece of oak, and they would trim their own teeth down, so that's what made me wonder if cats can get their teeth trimmed. She's still a very sweet cat, and she inhales any wet food i put down. I've been moistening a bit of kibble with chicken broth or even JustBorn kitten milk replacement, and she seems to take that alright (as long as no one's around to steal it.) I should have a pic up in a few minutes, I hope. Thank you all for the replies.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

That was all very good information. I've been a bit busy with kitten drama the last few days! I'm going to try to get a decent picture of her teeth, but she does not like me messing with her mouth today. It is a problem with her bottom jaw. The teeth are sort of pressing down her lower lip and pressin in on her gums. The canines aren't loose, they are still very firmly attached. They are just way too long. I've had a similar problem before with rabbits, but we would just give them a big piece of oak, and they would trim their own teeth down, so that's what made me wonder if cats can get their teeth trimmed. She's still a very sweet cat, and she inhales any wet food i put down. I've been moistening a bit of kibble with chicken broth or even JustBorn kitten milk replacement, and she seems to take that alright (as long as no one's around to steal it.) I should have a pic up in a few minutes, I hope. Thank you all for the replies.
I believe rabbits, beavers and rats teeth keep growing and they need to chew hard things to keep them from getting too long, not being able to eat and starving to death. I am no vet or doctor but I don't think cats teeth are in the same category and if filed/cut down would be very painful for the cat.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes rodent teeth never stop growing and thus the reason they need to have hard things in their cages to gnaw on.

With your cat, I believe that just trimming the tooth down would be a far more expensive and much more painful procedure than just having them removed if they are causing her discomfort or pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. I've got a vet apt for the 10th for her. Though i might cancel if I can get her scheduled in at a different vet. I'm not liking the one I'm using now. She's pretty frisky today, so I'm content to wait for a bit. Updates soon. Sorry no pics. I've been at the doc's a lot lately, haven't had much spare time to get her to Sit Still as I try to get pics.