I'm Dreaming of a White....

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...July????

Hmm, this doesn't seem right!

Tonight we got SPANKED by a massive thunderstorm with tons of hail. I didn't even get pictures of the worst of it. When we looked outside, it wasn't the compacted freeze-ice, soft hail. No, it was ice chunks about 1" - 1-1/2" diameter. Mother nature could have just taken out ice cubes from the freezer - that's what they looked like and sounded like when they hit the house! We were happy that there were no windows broken or cracked, but the siding on the whole backside of our townhome block is going to have to be replaced. It's got holes punched all over it. Thankfully, our cars weren't damaged either. Our neighbor wasn't so lucky - he has hail damage on his car.

On to the pictures! Pardon the fuzziness...it's really hard to focus at night with the massive contrast between black pavement, flooding, dark green leaves/grass, and WHITE hail.

This is July? Looks like December!

Street flooding with the hail - it isn't frothing. There is a sidewalk on this side of our car, but you can't see it.

You can see how bad the flooding is with our neighbors' cars, both into the street and well over the sidewalk into the grass.

White!

The neighbor's kids didn't quite want to go out in the ice in bare feet, though. We were looking at the damage to his section of siding.

Quite the dichotomy of white hail and green leaves.

We got about 3" of hail buildup, which is impressive since we got a TON of rain too!

And Trent had to check it out too. Cats scattered when the hail first hit, poor babies.
I don't blame them - it scared me too!

Not too good for building snowmen, though!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy cow, that's unbelievable!
Is your car out there on the street?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, the blue PT is ours. My car is just in front of it. Earl went and looked again and he has a couple new chips in his windshield. I'll check mine in the morning. Overall, though that's not bad. Apparently there were a couple tornados in this storm too.
We were dead center for the worst part of it. On the radar, we were in the maroon part in the middle of the red.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You really got whacked there. We only got really heavy rain, lots of lightning and thunder which freaked Lucy out. I guess there was a tornado that touched down in Englewood with no damage. Did you lose power?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Whoa! I never seen hail that large before.
I have seen baseball sized hail. That is SUPER scary when you happen to be standing outside when it starts.

Hope your cars are ok Heidi!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll confess that our car got hailed on, and we just used the money to pay it off. Eventually we sold it to my sister, and they enjoy it to this day. Parking lot dings? Who cares?

I've seen hail in 3-ft deep drifts in Denver, when I was growing up.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 inches of HAIL???? holy ice chunks!
I'm glad your cars escaped relatively unscathed

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that is some crazy weather you all are having. Glad to hear that everyone is safe and sound.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is some serious hail!
When I was in high school, we had softball sized hail once. The damage was pretty horrible all over town. I remember that I was in Trigonometry class and everyone jumped up to watch through the windows. It was really weird seeing the hail hit the ground, because the balls of ice were SO HUGE, and coming down so quickly that they would bounce off the ground. It looked like popcorn popping out of the grass. Very weird. Most of the students had giant dents in their cars. I didn't yet have a car, so I was lucky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in Lakewood, Colorado, a western suburb of Denver.

Here's a nice little radar shot. See that really dark patch inside the red? Yeah, that went right over our house.

My co-worker who lives about 3-4 miles west of us said that her place had even more damage. She said almost all of their trees were stripped of leaves and most plants (besides grass) were gone. She has a patio umbrella that is now hanging in strips. Ouch. I heard on the radio that there were a lot of broken windows in various parts of town - one woman in Broomfield (northern part of town) had all of the windows on one side of her house broken.

Earl looked at his car this morning after it had dried off and he has a bunch of dimples and dings.
It's a 2005 PT with less than 30,000 miles, and it's in immaculate shape otherwise. A few scratches (idiots in parking lots) but nothing major. So he's got a claim started on that. My car I'm not all that worried about, even if it does turn out to have some hail damage. It's older and has more mileage.

The siding has some holes in it and it's cracked in even more spots. Thankfully that's not our responsibility, the HOA has to cover that.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in NE Denver and I watched that storm coming last night. I checked weather underground when I noticed the lightening and saw that huge purple hail signature just on the western side of the city. I wondered how bad you all would get hit. We had some light hail, very heavy rain and a short power outage over here.

The friday before last, we go hit on this side of the city like you did last night. Same time at night as well. The cars in the street actually got water damage from the flooding and the neighbor across the street had the water come up to their house. It was wild.

I hope no one got seriously injured last night. It was a bad storm, at an unexpected time of night.

Nice and cool today though!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I live in Lakewood, Colorado, a western suburb of Denver.

Here's a nice little radar shot. See that really dark patch inside the red? Yeah, that went right over our house.

My co-worker who lives about 3-4 miles west of us said that her place had even more damage. She said almost all of their trees were stripped of leaves and most plants (besides grass) were gone. She has a patio umbrella that is now hanging in strips. Ouch. I heard on the radio that there were a lot of broken windows in various parts of town - one woman in Broomfield (northern part of town) had all of the windows on one side of her house broken.

Earl looked at his car this morning after it had dried off and he has a bunch of dimples and dings.
It's a 2005 PT with less than 30,000 miles, and it's in immaculate shape otherwise. A few scratches (idiots in parking lots) but nothing major. So he's got a claim started on that. My car I'm not all that worried about, even if it does turn out to have some hail damage. It's older and has more mileage.

The siding has some holes in it and it's cracked in even more spots. Thankfully that's not our responsibility, the HOA has to cover that.
Oh man, I'd be really upset losing my garden like that for the season...and possibly permanently!
We had a (much more minor) hailstorm here a few weeks ago, and all the hostas looked like swiss cheese afterwards.

I hope all the wild animals are okay.
When the weather is bad, I always think of the feral cats and kittens and wonder how they fared.

I'm glad you didn't have more damage, and that you're all safe.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shivers! We are having some warm weather these couple of days and it is supposed to be winter!

I hope there wasn't too much damage to your household and car!