Found some good in life again... (VERY long, sry)

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As many of you may know, I was thinking of fostering again. Well, those plans fell through due to my medical crud (had to choose a "safe" word there,
. If I'd used the word I wanted to, I'd be in t-r-o-u-b-l-e!!!). So, instead of fostering, I'm volunteering for a local cat rescue It's a relatively small shelter, she is always needing new volunteers. It's such a nice place- not your first class, modern and immaculately spotless Humane Society type, but rather the type of shelter that is only for the cats. Their sole purpose is to help cats to the best of their abilities. Today was only my second day, and I already have fallen in love with one kitten. She is the smallest 4 month-old I've ever seen. She looks more like a new 2 month-old! Her two brothers are quite a bit bigger than her, the poor little girl, one of them is nearly twice her size! They feed her extra, give her extra vitamins and supplements, but I guess it is just the way she is- teeny tiny. Oh, her name is Betty. I will try to get some pictures of her, but I can't guarantee anything (that would require that my camera work, and that's probably not gonna happen
).

And they are extremely accomodating about my medical issues/concerns. They understand when I tell them I can't stand for a very long time, can't bend over to clean the bottom cages, can't lift anything heavy, etc. and they don't think any less of me. I just do the top cages, food/water, and basically play in a room with about 15-20 kittens while taking my sweet time. Like I said, their sole purpose is to make the felines happy. And I love that! A SUPERB quality in a rescue/shelter, if ya ask me. And I think it gives me a whole different outlook on what my cats have had to go through, being shelter cats and all. It really makes me appreciate them more, and makes me understand the importance of a real, true home and a person that truly loves them. I just came home today and gave each of them a hug and kiss and almost cried because I loved them SOOOO much and had forgotten for a little while just how much they mean to me. (as I type this, Pirate is "telling" me that there is something outside and that I should look out the window with him or he will throw a 'mini-fit' lol. What a character he is!)

I think it's the perfect fit for me- with my limitations, it's very hard to find a place to work/volunteer where I won't be looked down upon and treated like crap (oops!). I was originally planning on doing it almost every day, but I'm not sure I want to push my body to do it (by doing anything I'm basically just asking for my shunt to malfunction). But I don't want to live a lonely, useless life like I feel like I've been living lately. I can't live in fear of what the future might hold medically. That's no way to live in my book.

Sorry this was so long, but I think you can tell that I'm extremely excited and happy to have found a little happiness in my life again. It's been awhile

(now hopefully I don't do anything stupid to mess this up lol- I always tend to mess up a good thing, it's just my luck I guess
)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I think it's the perfect fit for me- with my limitations, it's very hard to find a place to work/volunteer where I won't be looked down upon and treated like crap (oops!). I was originally planning on doing it almost every day, but I'm not sure I want to push my body to do it (by doing anything I'm basically just asking for my shunt to malfunction). But I don't want to live a lonely, useless life like I feel like I've been living lately. I can't live in fear of what the future might hold medically. That's no way to live in my book.
That is awesome news hun. I am so happy you were able to find something that made you happy.

We could all learn a lesson from you......you have the motivation and desire and strength that a lot of people do not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

That is awesome news hun. I am so happy you were able to find something that made you happy.

We could all learn a lesson from you......you have the motivation and desire and strength that a lot of people do not.
Thank you Chris, I'm once again feeling what it's like to be truly happy (not all the way there yet, but gettin' there
)

Since I can't get a picture of Betty on my own, here's her link to her Petfinder page. She is even tinier than she looks in the picture!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14119354

that's one of her brother's heads in the picture- she is literally half his size, and he is average sized!

And this guy, well he is like "Mr. Babysitter"- he is the only adult that actually WANTS to go in with the kittens when they are all playing. He's a huge dude, and just walks around tripping people lol.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14191846

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to hear this shelter work is working out for you. It's a nice feeling to get out of a rut. Of course working with adorable kitties like that definitely helps the spirit I think. Hope the goodness keeps up for you!!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear you found a nice place to be. I know you struggle. Giving back feels really good and it sounds like the shelter has a good vibe. Both good for you and kitties.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty is a cutie, but Murray looks like such a love!

I hope your health continues to allow you to volunteer. I'm sure the shelter people, and the kitties especially appreciate all your help!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

Thank you Chris, I'm once again feeling what it's like to be truly happy (not all the way there yet, but gettin' there
)

Since I can't get a picture of Betty on my own, here's her link to her Petfinder page. She is even tinier than she looks in the picture!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14119354

that's one of her brother's heads in the picture- she is literally half his size, and he is average sized!

And this guy, well he is like "Mr. Babysitter"- he is the only adult that actually WANTS to go in with the kittens when they are all playing. He's a huge dude, and just walks around tripping people lol.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14191846
ohmygosh..... Betty is adorable..... I love the last pic of the 3

Murray is a cutie too.... looks a little grumpy in that pic though.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good for you for finding something that you enjoy. Hopefully thing work out for your benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

ohmygosh..... Betty is adorable..... I love the last pic of the 3

Murray is a cutie too.... looks a little grumpy in that pic though.
Murray does have that grumpy look- but he doesn't seem to have a grumpy bone in his body! Only when he has to discipline the kittens. He will literally walk over and break up fights- which is great when no one else notices a fight to break it up! I don't know what they're going to do if he gets adopted lol! Probably hire a full-time babysitter or something (I'd volunteer to be the kitten babysitter!)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you! It sounds like you have gotten in to a great thing.
Betty and Murry are both just adorable. I hope they find furrever homes soon.