Zachary, our office cat is missing

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today, Zachary, our office cat got outside and is still missing. We have been feeding and caring for him for 2 years now. After several unsuccessful attempts to trap him, we just took our time and he eventually warmed up to us and moved inside in January. He has been very happy inside. We recently moved to a new office, it is much smaller but he is comfortable and seemed content. We didn't move him until remodeling was done in the office-he has been there about a week. There is a warehouse in the back of the office that we figured he would love to explore. Because of remodeling the warehouse, the door is kept open during the day. We have kept him in the office but today he got into the warehouse and then outside. I am just sick. He ran over a hillside. We have been calling him all day and into the evening. I put his litterbox outside by the door but I am so worried because the area is new to him. I am fearing the worst. We have been caring for him and now he is on his own. Can a cat find their way back when everything is so new to them?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get too anxious yet. He may just be exploring. When the weather gets good sometimes it is too tempting to stay out roaming and exploring. he'll come back. Keep calling him and presenting food for him. I would put out flyers just so people know he is cared for if they see him and can possibly put your mind at ease if they call and say he has been seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I must tell you though, I became anxious as soon as I heard he was missing. He went out the warehouse door, over a hillside and off into woods and railroad tracks. I am sure he is smart enough to stay away from the trains, he lived outside prior to our rescue, but he is not at all familiar with the area. He would never make it back to the old office, too far away. With every day and evening he is gone, I become even more worried we will never see him again.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a good chance he will go back to the old office. Good luck on finding him, I can only imagine how you must feel.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet, and I will never give up. Yesterday I spoke to a neighbor and told him about the cat and asked him to look out for him. He told me that behind the office is a wooded area, about 4 sets of railroad tracks and then a junk yard. He didn't think that there were any stray cats in the area, at least he had never seen any. We leave the warehouse door open all day in hopes of his return. Last night I put fresh wet food in his heated cat house and left his litter box outside hoping he might just come back. I don't doubt he wants to come back, he was so content to be inside after being on his own for so long, I am just worried he can't find his way back because nothing is familiar to him. Yesterday morning one workman who is doing some remodeling thought he heard meowing, but he didn't see anything. He called to one of the girls inside but no sign of him. I hope he doesn't even attempt to go back to the old office, he would never make it. There is so much traffic he would have to cross, I don't even want to think about it. I just really want him back safe and sound.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

Not yet, and I will never give up. Yesterday I spoke to a neighbor and told him about the cat and asked him to look out for him. He told me that behind the office is a wooded area, about 4 sets of railroad tracks and then a junk yard. He didn't think that there were any stray cats in the area, at least he had never seen any. We leave the warehouse door open all day in hopes of his return. Last night I put fresh wet food in his heated cat house and left his litter box outside hoping he might just come back. I don't doubt he wants to come back, he was so content to be inside after being on his own for so long, I am just worried he can't find his way back because nothing is familiar to him. Yesterday morning one workman who is doing some remodeling thought he heard meowing, but he didn't see anything. He called to one of the girls inside but no sign of him. I hope he doesn't even attempt to go back to the old office, he would never make it. There is so much traffic he would have to cross, I don't even want to think about it. I just really want him back safe and sound.
I was thinking he might try to go back to the old office. I hope not. Have you called the Junk yard to find out if he may have wandered over there?

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is my day off from work, a visit to the junk yard will be on the top of my to do list. When he was at the other office before he came inside to live, I had bought him a heated cat house and he loved it. I put it back outside the warehouse door and put a bowl of wet food in it, in the back of the house. This morning the food was half eaten, it could have been anything, but I am hoping it was him. I am not sure in any other animal would venture into the house. Tonight I am going to go late in the evening with some more food. But I really think if he heard me calling to him, he would come. That's why I'm afraid he won't be back, I'm afraid he is lost and can't find his way back.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone searched the warehouse? Being he hasn't been in there before, he may have come back and be hiding in there (responding to someone thinking they heard meowing).

Maybe try closing the warehouse door and leaving the food out and see if it gets eaten?

Also see this thread - it isn't as applicable, because he used to live outdoors.... but given he's in new territory... ??????????
Lost Cat - What else can I do?

I would also consider checking the old warehouse. Has anyone occupied it? I'd at least let them know to watch out for him. Yes, it is VERY unusual - but there are the stories of kitties traveling 300 miles or more and making their way back "home."

he comes home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - how recently is "recent?" When was the move?

Laurie

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Has anyone searched the warehouse? Being he hasn't been in there before, he may have come back and be hiding in there (responding to someone thinking they heard meowing).

Maybe try closing the warehouse door and leaving the food out and see if it gets eaten?

he comes home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie
Excellent suggestion!!! It could be that if he is intimidated by the new surroundings, he may sneak inside into the warehouse and then remain quiet, hiding, and will come out to eat only at night, when all is silent and dark.
JC once went on an extending "camping trip" (6 days and 5 nights)and was found hunting next to a creek, in the dusk, almost 2 miles from home. I happened to drive by and noticed his tapetums glowing in the lights - I stopped, shined a flashlight into the brush & there he was, happy and ever-so-proud of himself - he purred so loudly

Adding my prayers and vibes that Zachary comes home/work very soon, safe, sound & content to stay inside

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your advice and concern. I am just beside myself with worry.

We close the warehouse door at night and leave out food and water, the food has not been touched. Only the wet food in his heated house was eaten. He hid for a week or two when he first came inside to live, but after a week or so, he was the first one to greet everyone when they came in the door in the morning. He just loves my niece too and she has tried calling him during the day, no response.

There was no warehouse at the old office and my husband went and checked this afternoon and I went again after work. I figured if he was there, he would be sitting on the picnic table where he used to sit before he came inside. He showed no interest in going out once he made the adjustment indoors, that is why I can't imagine he doesn't want to come back. He got very used to all the attention and would sit on my niece's lap when she would type. He was only alone during the night.

I am actually going to go there now and bring some fresh wet food, hoping he will come back.

Thanks again.