Paw pad

petparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There,

I noticed one of my cats has a scabby, back paw pad. I'm not sure what he did, but half the pad is scabbed up. The other day, I noticed the scab fell off, and it's re-scabbing itself. Paw pads don't heal, do they? Is there anything I can do....apply something so that it heals without scabbing up again?

Thanks.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With time and proper care they do heal.

You should probably take your cat to the vet, just to make sure there isn't something serious causing the damage.

The reason it doesn't seem to be healing is because every time your cat steps down, the foot pad flexes and stretches and takes the weight of the animal. This constant movement and pressure are enough to knock the scab loose over time.

What you should probably do is wash the wound out gently with a mild soap and warm water. Then apply some neosporin (the kind without the pain reliever) and then loosely bandage the paw.

If it were me I would change the bandage once every 2-3 days, and give it another cleaning using peroxide. If the bandage falls off in between that time, repeat the disinfecting process, using peroxide and reapplying neosporin then bandaging.

Be sure the bandage is not so tight that it cuts off circulation, but on good enough so that it (hopefully) doesn't fall off on it's own. The bandage is very important because it will keep your cat from licking the paw. From what I have learned, constant licking will only inhibit healing and make the process even longer.

Remember, that the people here cannot replace proper vetrinary care. And since we cannot see or examine the wound, I urge you to take your cat to the vets to determine a proper course of treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petparent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, a vet is best.

It doesn't seem to be bothering him in the least. I've touched it several times, and he seems oblivious to it. The scab is the very tip of the pad, covering no more than a quarter of the entire pad itself. I'm starting to think he did it himself. He has a habit of grabbing his foot with his mouth when he plays and chews on it. One good chomp and he could have done it to himself.

Thanks for the guidance.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

If it were me I would change the bandage once every 2-3 days, and give it another cleaning using peroxide. If the bandage falls off in between that time, repeat the disinfecting process, using peroxide and reapplying neosporin then bandaging.

Remember, that the people here cannot replace proper vetrinary care. And since we cannot see or examine the wound, I urge you to take your cat to the vets to determine a proper course of treatment.
I would just like to interject here that you should not use peroxide unless you dilute it well. Peroxide burns tissue, including healthy tissue and thus most vets will recommend you not use it unless diluted. When Bijou had the lump over his eye, the vet gave me a solution to dilute in water to bathe the area to assist in healing.

And, lastly Nekomania is right, none of us are vets so it really would be best for you to have a vet look at the paw.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would just like to interject here that you should not use peroxide unless you dilute it well. Peroxide burns tissue, including healthy tissue and thus most vets will recommend you not use it unless diluted. When Bijou had the lump over his eye, the vet gave me a solution to dilute in water to bathe the area to assist in healing.

And, lastly Nekomania is right, none of us are vets so it really would be best for you to have a vet look at the paw.
I'm sorry. I was under the impression that 3% peroxide ate bacteria and not tissue.

I am not sure how reliable this website is, but this sounds about right for how to dilute it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4840318_grad...ating-cat.html

Did you ever think that it may have been diluted simply because the area was near his eye? I know I wouldn't want peroxide in my eye.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that 3% peroxide ate bacteria and not tissue.

I am not sure how reliable this website is, but this sounds about right for how to dilute it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4840318_grad...ating-cat.html

Did you ever think that it may have been diluted simply because the area was near his eye? I know I wouldn't want peroxide in my eye.
Peroxide should be diluted whether it is being used around the eye or not. The article states that it burns tissue which is exactly what it does and although they say use it pure for the first flush, that is not recommended by doctors or vets. Peroxide also burns healthy tissue thus the reason it should always be diluted whether used on animals or humans.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really should take him to the vet. It's not common for cats to injure themselves by cleaning their feet, although it may look like they are aggressive when they do, they know what they are doing
. A scabbed paw could be so many different things, it's the body saying something is wrong........