Before bringing a stray inside?

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Ive not been on here in years, but due to my 'new' cat, I have a question. I've had my current 3 cats inside for over 6 years now. They're all healthy and fixed. One night 3 weeks ago a cat showed up on my front porch. He's an orange male...looks to be around a year old and other than his nose sounding stopped up he's spunky, healthy and VERY affectionate and friendly. Ive waited a couple weeks to see if anyone would claim him or if he'd go back home, but sofar he's stayed on my porch. He sleeps there and eats there and is waiting when I get home. My 3 watch him though the glass and sofar so good. Question I have:

Not knowing where he came from what tests do I HAVE to do before bringing him in?

I know to worm and de-flea him. I just dont want my cats to become sick since I dont remember the last time they were and not knowing where he's from, i'm alittle nervous to bring him inside. I dont want him to stay outside though due to me living in the city. Thanks!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely test for FIV and FeLV, although even if he is positive for FIV (feline aids) you can still introduce him into your household. FIV is very hard to spread; only thru mating and extreme fighting, but altering tends to solve those problems. FeLV (leukemia) is another story

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Definitely test for FIV and FeLV, although even if he is positive for FIV (feline aids) you can still introduce him into your household. FIV is very hard to spread; only thru mating and extreme fighting, but altering tends to solve those problems. FeLV (leukemia) is another story
Thanks for replying! Aids and leukemia was what I was thinking, I just couldnt remember for sure. It's been so many years since I've had a new cat, that I tried to look it up online and all I found was that the test can be negative on a positive cat...that makes me nervous. Has anyone heard of that?

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Amber!, it's lovely to see you posting again

Lots of healthy for your new addition. Do we get to see some long awaited pictures of them in fur pics?
Wow I cant believe anyone remembers me!! Thanks! Sure i'll show you photos just tell me where to post them

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gothic_Amethyst

Wow I cant believe anyone remembers me!! Thanks! Sure i'll show you photos just tell me where to post them
If you go into the lounge, above is the fur pics forum and that's where they go.

Any problems send me a pm

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gothic_Amethyst

Thanks for replying! Aids and leukemia was what I was thinking, I just couldnt remember for sure. It's been so many years since I've had a new cat, that I tried to look it up online and all I found was that the test can be negative on a positive cat...that makes me nervous. Has anyone heard of that?
I've heard of false positives when a cat has already been vaccinated, or when it is a young kitten that still has it's mothers antibodies, but don't recall having ever heard of a false negative.

Be careful of the stuffy nose though, that is sometimes one of the manifestations of the Feline Herpes virus. I don't know if they shed the virus when they aren't actually sneezing or having watery eyes, but it's a good question for the vet when you have him tested for FeLV, etc.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

If you go into the lounge, above is the fur pics forum and that's where they go.

Any problems send me a pm
K I posted a thread with links to the photos with my name in the title so you could find it. Hope you like!

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

I've heard of false positives when a cat has already been vaccinated, or when it is a young kitten that still has it's mothers antibodies, but don't recall having ever heard of a false negative.

Be careful of the stuffy nose though, that is sometimes one of the manifestations of the Feline Herpes virus. I don't know if they shed the virus when they aren't actually sneezing or having watery eyes, but it's a good question for the vet when you have him tested for FeLV, etc.
I'd rather a false positive than a false negative if I had a choice. Although I hope he's totally healthy so I can bring him inside soon. As for the nose, I'm hoping it's just a Upper Respratory infection or something like mine used to get before i brought them inside. I am carefull to not hold him or pet him without washing my hands and changing clothes to minimize exposure to mine as much as possible.

reader

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont forget worrying

We took in a stray from an agency who provided all the vaccinations,shots,cleaned him up,etc. About 3 weeks later with the cat the worm issue arose

Also the stray we brought in still had a violent temper for about 3 months. That went away. After wards and until this seventh year later with him to this day, he is tamer than our 2 other indoor cats. He might go to scratch you from time to time, but without claws

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by reader

Dont forget worrying

We took in a stray from an agency who provided all the vaccinations,shots,cleaned him up,etc. About 3 weeks later with the cat the worm issue arose

Also the stray we brought in still had a violent temper for about 3 months. That went away. After wards and until this seventh year later with him to this day, he is tamer than our 2 other indoor cats. He might go to scratch you from time to time, but without claws
Worms are treatable and not nearly as scary as FIV and the diseases that a new cat can give to mine that i've had for 6+ years now.

luckily all of mine including this one are very peaceful. He's too calm to be a feral and never tries to scratch anyone.