Question re: affection

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New kitten owner here of two twins, 4.5 months old of age. We've had them at our new place for 4 nights now. It seems like whenever my boyfriend or I go to use the restroom, one of the kittens will prance in and start circling our legs and rubbing on us, like he wants some loving and then the brother follows. We think it's cute in a weird way, they are not aggressive but seems like they want some extra attention. Can't close to the restroom door as this is where their litterbox is. This is pretty normal, right? What does this exactly mean by them doing this?

Thanks in advance!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for laughing but our kitties seem to like our bathroom time. Perhaps they realize we are stuck and can't run away.

I've had Bijou lay across my shoulders while I was doing my business and when I brush my hair in the mornings I am required to brush his hair as well and you would not believe how loudly he purrs when I brush his hair.

Your kitties are perfectly normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for confirming that this is normal & no worries about laughing, it's funny. DBf and I both laugh when they double team and prance into the restroom wanting scratches and
. Eventually they will learn that they can get love and scratches when we're sitting on the couch too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lynsey

Thanks for confirming that this is normal & no worries about laughing, it's funny. DBf and I both laugh when they double team and prance into the restroom wanting scratches and
. Eventually they will learn that they can get love and scratches when we're sitting on the couch too.
Even if they learn they can get love on the couch they will still want to be in the bathroom with you.

Mika and Bijou both need to sit on the counter and wait while we shower. If we close the bathroom door to shut them out, they meow until we let them in. Yes, they have us well trained.

I'll give you a giggle. Bijou recently has begun meowing for attention. Yes, if I'm busy elsewhere in our bungalow, I'll hear him giving his version of the Siamese yowl. I go to investigate and he's sitting on the table just looking for me. As soon as he sees me he starts slowing closing his eyes (kitty kisses) and lifts his chin for me to snuffle him. I have been well and truly trained to be his personal caretaker.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
normal for mine too..my sabrina will come to the bathroom with me..if I close the door..i'll see a paw come up ..and open the door..and then she wanders in..winds around my legs..and meows loudly at me until i pet her...
but its mainly me she follows if Jim goes to the bathroom.she rarely ever goes in with him..and its just my female...neither salem nor smokey do that.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moose will usually follow me into the bathroom, then Lucy comes in because she doesn't want to miss anything, and Rocky wanders in just to see what everyone else is doing.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is always in the bathroom when my boyfriend and I go in there.

I would say it's because his litter box and food bowls are both in there as well, but that can't possibly be the case since when we go in there, he enjoys just laying down and "chilling out".

I think it's adorable when he follows us around, but man...I just need to get him to learn that it's not okay to poo while I am in the tub.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think part of their behaviour is, them being new in your house and they still a little unsure of their status, they are pleasing themselves in.

With time, they will find also other ways to cuddle, and to show real affection.

Yawning, stretching on themselves when they see you. When lying down, stretch one forearm forward. Blink slowly with eyes when looking on you. Whey lying down clenching a paw...
Purring of course. Laying on you or between your legs when you lay down...
Wanting to sleep near you, preferably on your bed. Wanting to be near you.
Seeing you want to pet - jumps on the sofa, lying down, and letting be petted (quite many cats dont like to be petted when standing)... Our cats joyously run to their scratch tree and scratch when happy because they see us.
There are surely also other signs, some of them like yawning NOT widely known by non cat owners.

lilredhd1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not think I have ever had a cat yet that didnt HAVE to be in the bathroom when I was. With Storm if the door is closed where he cannot get in he will softly meow and lay down where he can stick his front two paws under like he is saying "hey you forgot me, hear I am"....Miss Kitty is following right behind when she knows he made it in so yes I agree this is a normal thing.

Heather

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All three of ours will come in when they hear us getting out of the shower or tub. Don't know why, but they really want attention then. Maybe we smell better?

rockstarkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both our cats go tot he bathroom with us. LITERALLY!!!!!! Even in the middle of the night they follow us there. If we do our business, so do they. Halo even more so for being the baby....he even showers with me