Ikea Scratching Post

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I don't know how my cats would feel about a wall-mounted scratcher. But it looks nice.....even if the cats didn't use it, it would still be decorative.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like it'd be great for climbers. Both of mine like high places, so I'd try it if I had the cash on hand.

It'd probably be sending a mixed signal to the cats to decorate it for Christmas...but I think I'd be tempted anyway.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saw at Ikea 4 months ago and it seemed to be very unstable. It wasn't mounted to a wall, just on display tied to a post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

Saw at Ikea 4 months ago and it seemed to be very unstable. It wasn't mounted to a wall, just on display tied to a post.
I am sure it is pretty unstable if not mounted on the wall... my only concern about this is how much weight the shelves will take - Bugsy is a pretty heavy boy!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think if you had to modify what you attached it to the wall with and made sure it was attached to a stud for your stud (I know thats corny
) it would probably work. How much does Bugsy weigh?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I think if you had to modify what you attached it to the wall with and made sure it was attached to a stud for your stud (I know thats corny
) it would probably work. How much does Bugsy weigh?
Bugsy weighs 17lbs and is not full grown yet... He still has a couple of years to go!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww that big love muffin, my boys are big macho kitties, too

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Awww that big love muffin, my boys are big macho kitties, too
They make the best cuddlers!!!

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I threw in that it wasn't properly mounted as a caveat. But honestly, though intrigued, I wasn't sure if it could take my two cats climbing on it. It just didn't look/feel all that stable and sturdy. The post itself would be mounted t the wall, but the "branches" themselves weren't very big and again, didn't seem too sturdy. If you can make it to an Ikea, I would recommend taking a look rather than ordering online. My cats at the time were under 5 pounds each. They are now just under 10.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby looked at some at a cat show (more like a normal cat tree cut in half and flat on the back). I thought it was pretty cool, but he's very knowledgable with construction/building and said he would NEVER mount a treehouse to the wall.

Too easy to fall or pull away from the wall no matter how secure you think it is. It may be fine for lightweight cats/kittens (under 8 lbs), but I would not trust it for the normal cat.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

even if the cats didn't use it, it would still be decorative.
especially if your taste is "ecclectic" or "artistic"!

in my humble opinion, it looks mediocre, meaning not super sturdy but not flimsy either. probably a 4 on a 1-10 scale (9 being sturdy)

then again, i'm only going by how it looks on screen

if you do buy it, remember you have the option of spraying it with catnip