Deodorant & yellow stains

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband has been using the same deodorant (Sure) for years, but lately it seems to be leaving a yellow stain on his lighter colored clothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mens' deodorant that doesn't stain?

Thanks.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a suggestion for deodorant, but "Oxyclean" works great to get out tough stains!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

My husband has been using the same deodorant (Sure) for years, but lately it seems to be leaving a yellow stain on his lighter colored clothing. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mens' deodorant that doesn't stain?

Thanks.
What he need is an antiperspirant. it is the sweat causing the yellow stains.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If hes not into the crystal thing ...... Jim and Matthew use Old Spice Red Zone and Speed Stick 24/7 ....... and I never smell them smelling fresh or see yellow stains.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pre soak my shirts in HOT water, with Tide powder and Borax, overnight, then wash as usual. This not only gets out the yellow discoloration, but also removes the associated odor (which was my biggest concern!)

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karen, I had this issue with some deodorant that I was using, nothing would move the stain.

Hubby decided that it was the wax in this old type of stick deodorant that I was using and that we needed the right solvent, so we went on a hunt around the store (the English arm of Walmart) and found this Sticky Stuff Remover it's brilliant and my previously unwearable blouses are now sparkly white again!

ETA For some of them it took a couple of goes, but the stain was noticeably whiter each time.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

What he need is an antiperspirant. it is the sweat causing the yellow stains.
Exactly. My hubby uses a random type of deodarant, NOT antiperspirant, and as of the warmer weather, his tighter white tshirts get some yellowing.
He doesn't like antiperspirant tho.....so I just deal with the yellowing...

Doesn't seem to happen on his looser clothing tho.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I just checked and what he has been using is an antiperspirant and deodorant.

None of the links that have been posted are working for me right now.

I'm going to have to spend some time in the deodorant aisle of the store.

I'll see if he woudl be willing to try the crystal.

Thanks, everyone.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hubby will not use an antiperspirant at all because of the ingredients in them. He uses Mennen Speed Stick Deodorant and has never had any issues of odor or yellowing.

On the other hand, if ANYONE knows where I can find a ladies deodorant I would be thrilled to find out about it. There are ONLY antiperspirants on my store shelves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Linda I have been doing a lot of googling about this in the past few days and one that keeps getting mentioned as deodorant only is Tom's of Maine:

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/deodorant.aspx

It can be found in organic and health food stores as well as big box stores. There is a link for a Canadian online retailer.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Linda I have been doing a lot of googling about this in the past few days and one that keeps getting mentioned as deodorant only is Tom's of Maine:

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/deodorant.aspx

It can be found in organic and health food stores as well as big box stores. There is a link for a Canadian online retailer.
Fantastic! Thank you so much. I've looked in the stores where I shop, i.e., Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobey's, Walmart and could never find a women's deodorant. I will definitely look this one up and order up at least a half dozen to start with.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A warning with Tom's of Maine deodorant. (I tried it.) It contains an ingredient that many people are allergic to, but I forget what it's called. I used it for about a week (a couple of years ago), and my skin started peeling and burning.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

A warning with Tom's of Maine deodorant. (I tried it.) It contains an ingredient that many people are allergic to, but I forget what it's called. I used it for about a week (a couple of years ago), and my skin started peeling and burning.
?? spelling propelyne gycol... it is not something I like in my stuff.. I use natural deodorants without aluminum and the gycol when I can ... also not a guy thing but rosewater and lavender water help"_

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Fantastic! Thank you so much. I've looked in the stores where I shop, i.e., Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobey's, Walmart and could never find a women's deodorant. I will definitely look this one up and order up at least a half dozen to start with.
Just updating - I was waiting for my prescription at a local pharmacy several days ago and was just wandering about the aisles and what do I see? Tom's of Maine deodorant. I bought one to try but am finishing my current one first.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

On the other hand, if ANYONE knows where I can find a ladies deodorant I would be thrilled to find out about it. There are ONLY antiperspirants on my store shelves.
Oh I hear you!!! I just don't get embarrassed about sweat stains, and poor hubby's an electrician he NEEDS to sweat when he's working outside in the summer! I know I use to get something called "Soft & Dry" and it was a roll on deodorant alone, but I can't find it any more.

I've also found if it's not too hot outside or I'm wearing a tank top I don't actually smell that bad at the end of the day. I've always got baby-wipes around and they do a pretty good job of cleaning up any bacteria if I do start to stink a little. Maybe that's just my opinion though

For anyone having smell issues with sweaty t-shirts. Line dry them out in the sun inside out so the sun shines right onto the underarms of the shirt - that will help to kill all the bacteria & thus the smell!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I don't have a suggestion for deodorant, but "Oxyclean" works great to get out tough stains!
Oxy is the best all purpose cleaner in the world. I use it for nearly everything. I just used it to clean the toilet. Amazing! It will also remove baked on, burned on gunk in casseroles.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so cheap. We use baking soda OR washing soda (not the same thing) to do the same thing oxy clean does & it's 1/4 the price.

A little vinegar let it sit, then some baking soda & a quick scrub, my toilet is sparkling clean and it's septic friendly.

Washing soda is also a great pre-soak for yellow stains.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Aromaco deodorant from Lush and I love it - they don't put nasty crap in their products and they're 100% cruelty free. http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/body/deodorants

However I have to admit if I use this instead of an antiperspirant, I do sweat a lot, and then my armpit skin starts to hurt almost like chafing or something!!? So some days I use the Lush stuff, some days I use Secret.