New Cat? Maybe? Need Advice

systemxpert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been a long time since I've posted, but I need advice. I had 6 cats that have all lived together in harmony for that last 6 years...until recently, when one of our black&whites (Futct) died suddenly of a heart attack. Our home is decent sized 3125 Sqt Feet with multiple climbing trees and nice litter box zone, and custom food bowl area.

It seems like there is a hole in our home since the passing of Futch. The other kitties seem to miss Futch and occaisonally howl looking around for him...(quite sad). The question now is...do we adopt a new kitty or do we count our blessings and stick with 5. Part of me wants to bring home a new kitten, but part of me is afraid we won't be as lucky as we were before. Knock on wood...not litter box problems or fighting (lots social grooming and playing).

And..if we do decide to bring home a new kitty...and I am bad person for wanting to go to a breeder instead of the humane society? I guess I feel sad and even cheated. Futch was our youngest cat and died at 6 years old of heart complications....was not prepared for his passing. The others are older ranging from 7 - 13. I was thinking about a getting an ocicat or a bengal. However, at the same time I feel like we have room for 1 more and should rescue a cat out there who needs a home.

Any advice?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not feel bad for going to a breeder.
I got my first pure bred last Dec from a breeder.
Sorry you lost your cat so young.
My sphynx fit in well with my other cats.
In fact I am going to get another sphynx.
The are bengal and oci breeders here that can help you.
My sister is getting a bengal.
My oldest cat is 17 now.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SystemXpert

Its been a long time since I've posted, but I need advice. I had 6 cats that have all lived together in harmony for that last 6 years...until recently, when one of our black&whites (Futct) died suddenly of a heart attack. Our home is decent sized 3125 Sqt Feet with multiple climbing trees and nice litter box zone, and custom food bowl area.

It seems like there is a hole in our home since the passing of Futch. The other kitties seem to miss Futch and occaisonally howl looking around for him...(quite sad). The question now is...do we adopt a new kitty or do we count our blessings and stick with 5. Part of me wants to bring home a new kitten, but part of me is afraid we won't be as lucky as we were before. Knock on wood...not litter box problems or fighting (lots social grooming and playing).

And..if we do decide to bring home a new kitty...and I am bad person for wanting to go to a breeder instead of the humane society? I guess I feel sad and even cheated. Futch was our youngest cat and died at 6 years old of heart complications....was not prepared for his passing. The others are older ranging from 7 - 13. I was thinking about a getting an ocicat or a bengal. However, at the same time I feel like we have room for 1 more and should rescue a cat out there who needs a home.

Any advice?
I am so sorry for the sudden passing of Futch, how tragic.

If it were me, and thinking about adding another cat, I would go with a shelter rescue. Sure osicats and bengals are just stunning cats, I would love to have them, but think how much more your heart would heal knowing you gave a home to a cat who may not have ever had that option again.
Your heart will tell you what to do.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And..if we do decide to bring home a new kitty...and I am bad person for wanting to go to a breeder instead of the humane society?
No, that does not make you a bad person at all
I'm sorry you lost Futch so young.

With the ages of your other cats, an Oci or Bengal kitty probably isn't your best choice though - they are both so active your cats would probably get annoyed with their constant need to play. Perhaps a retired cat in either breed would fit in better, Ocicats are very social and usually do well with other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

systemxpert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, After some thought I am going to wait a while before getting another cat. I really want to spend some time researching different breeds and find one suitable for our home and existing cat population.

If anyone has a suggestion of breed for would mix well with 5 other cats (4 boys & 1 Girl) please let me know. I am looking to do something different than making another trip to the local Humane society. I have always wanted a purebred cat (maybe even to show someday), but been afraid to deal with breeders/catteries.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I wouldn't get an ocicat or bengal KITTEN, because of the age of your cats and the age of the kitten. Their activity levels are different, and I've heard that ocicats and bengals tend to be more "active" than let's say a dsh or something. However it all depends on the kitten. What you could do, when the time is right, is try and find a breed-specific rescue, or purebred rescue. I know they exist, lol, there is one around here (I'm nowhere near you, but there must be some down there
) A lot of times show-quality cats with papers and everything go through those types of rescues, so even though you would be doing another rescue (Amen for rescue kitties!) you would be trying something different yet still getting what you're looking for. And if you do end up going to a breeder, that's totally fine as long as you look for the RIGHT, proper breeder that's breeding for the right reasons. And it sounds like you know what to look for.

Give it some time, like you said, think things over. I don't think you can show snowshoe siamese, since they're kinda an "off/mixed breed" but I do know that the breed tends to get along great with other cats, it has the best traits from both a DSH and a siamese. But that would be me
and I don't think that's what you're looking for.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to a cat show and look around.
I had 10 breeds on my list and then decided on a sphynx.
Do not be afraid of breeders and catteries.
I got my first purebred last December.
Showing is fun also.
You just have to make sure you get a good breeder.
Before I had a purebred I had ferals and took cat no body would want.
My Oreo has fcks. No one would have wanted her if I did not take her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with these others here who says

1. Dont have bad conscience for thinking pure breed. You have already payed more then enough of your share to the Fate, having 6 rescued moggies (I think they were).
If you still do have bad conscience, there are also lots of other ways to help needing cats, other then adopting them.

2. I agree an oci or bengal kitten isnt optimal together with older cats.
But there ARE grown up breed cats who need a new home, if you have your eyes open. F.ex. all these ex queens or ex studs who retire. They dont even need to be old. 5-6 years, males often younger, and often of show-quality. (a breeding cat must be good, but doesnt must be of show quality. So look after these of show quality, as show quality is your desire). The breeder will be happy they get to a good home.
They were perhaps already champions in the fertile classes. You can start their new carriers anew in the neuter-class.

Good luck!

systemxpert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to thank everyone for ther advice. Based on my research I have ruled out the Ocicat and Bengal...you guys are right....they would be too high strung for my other cats.

I think should provide more detail about my other cats. I made a error...Futch was the second youngest...at 6 years of age when we lost him.
I now have 5 domestic moggies all adopted from Humane Societys...4boys and 1 girl. (1) DLH 9 yrs old, (1) DLH 13 yrs old, (1) DSH 7 yrs old, (1) DSH 4 yrs old, and (1) DSH 8 yrs old. Most of babies are pretty active with the exception of my 13 yr old...who is a bit slow.

Futch was my 6 yr old that died..but he was the "heart" of the herd. More often than not he was the one chasing the others around. Things have been too quiet since his passing..so I am wondering if a new kitten would be well received among the herd?

I am now thinking about an Abyssinian, Chausie, Serengeti, Somali or Oriental shorthair.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Any advice?
That is a difficult decision and I can see your dilemma! I haven't read all the replies but I am sure you got some good advice. I mainly want to answer re: your question; "and I am bad person for wanting to go to a breeder instead of the humane society?"..I want to tell you that NO you are NOT...there is nothing wrong with the responsible breeding of purebred cats, nor your desire to own a well bred, healthy cat with known background, and with a predictable temperament and specific type! Do not let rampant "feel-good" AR-speak propaganda make you feel guilty about a personal decision such as this! I certainly applaud reputable rescues; I got my kitten from one! I've never owned a "pedigree cat" in my life! I am thinking about it now though because I do want something specific and I would like to show. I would also like a pet that has a known health history and pedigree information on health, longevity, etc..The breeds that are already here should be preserved and revered and I fully support responsible breeding programs. That's probably way more of an answer to that than you wanted, but it is one of my personal soapbox items, particularly coming from dogs.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, After some thought I am going to wait a while before getting another cat. I really want to spend some time researching different breeds and find one suitable for our home and existing cat population.

If anyone has a suggestion of breed for would mix well with 5 other cats (4 boys & 1 Girl) please let me know. I am looking to do something different than making another trip to the local Humane society. I have always wanted a purebred cat (maybe even to show someday), but been afraid to deal with breeders/catteries.
Good for you!! This way too you can take your time and research! Can't help on dealing with catteries as I've not yet gone that route myself
If it is anything like in dogs, you just have to show that you are dedicated and a good owner and provide references and such. Perhaps a home visit if they are near you; that sort of thing.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
P.S. Should have said, I'm so sorry for your loss ;( He must have been VERY special in your kitty clan!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am now thinking about an Abyssinian, Chausie, Serengeti, Somali or Oriental shorthair.
Abys, Somali and Orientals are active breeds like Oci's & Bengals. I don't know anything about the other 2 breeds.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - first of all, I am very sorry for your loss...

As others have already said, you are NOT a bad person for wanting a purebred cat... I am also on the waiting list for my first show cat, who will join my family next year.
I have 2 Ragdolls, and one DMH (I think she might be a long hair, but not sure), and I can tall you by experience that a ragdoll are wonderful withother cats; they are laid back, and much more friendly than territorial, making them easy to be introduced into different situations... He will not run after your cats though, that's for sure
- maybe while they are kittens, but they are more "chill" than anything.
My show cat will be a British Shorthair - I wanted another breed besides Ragdoll (I Love Rags, but also like diversity
), and also a breed that would be good with my cats, and good at shows.
IMO, once you find a breed that you like, and does well with your kitties, you will be fine if you get a cat from a GOOD, REPUTABLE breeder. A good breeder will socialize the kittens from day 1, making them much frendlier towards not only people, but other cats as well.
There are wonderful people here at TCS that can refer you to a good breeder, once you choose your breed - I highly recommend asking here on the board for help in finding a breeder, as there are quite a few horror stories of bad breeders out there...
Have you researched CFA breed profiles?
this tool http://www.iams.com/iams/pet-care/cat-breed.jsp can give you an idea of some breeds that can match what you are looking for, and you can narrow it down from there...
Good Luck!!!

thrasymachus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you get a new cat get a shelter rescue.

If you want a new car, maybe you want a sports car. If you want a new motorcyle maybe you want a loud Harley.

But cats are living beings. Sure you have some requirement like in your post, the new adoptee would have to accept living with five other cats, but easily you can find such a cat in a shelter. This whole breeding and purebreed predilection treats cats like products bred to produce certain qualities like how an Apple is reputed to be more high-end and reliable than an E-machines. Besides it just contributes to overpopulation. You can find a decent amount of purebreeds at shelters as well, perhaps not a very specfic breed you may pin for. Cats should not be looked at as commodites with this or that trait or you do not want them, they are sentient beings.

What if I said that I started selective breeding of Jamaicans with Kenyans to produce the fastest kids? If it is wrong to selectively breed humans, how can it be right for animals?

jada

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice - take it! I think you will be a perfect "parent" for him!

systemxpert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone know I have in fact decided to adopt an Oriental Shorthair kitten. I think my cats are going to get along well with the new boy when we introduce him into the household.

I found a reputable breeder and will be bringing home the kitten later today. I would like to thank everyone for their support. I know that there are strong opinions about going to a cattery. I decided to adopt a Non-show quality kitten because they need homes too. My other five cats were all shelter rescues so I feel I have more than made my contribution to saving unwanted animals.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to let everyone know I have in fact decided to adopt an Oriental Shorthair kitten. I think my cats are going to get along well with the new boy when we introduce him into the household.

I found a reputable breeder and will be bringing home the kitten later today. I would like to thank everyone for their support. I know that there are strong opinions about going to a cattery. I decided to adopt a Non-show quality kitten because they need homes too. My other five cats were all shelter rescues so I feel I have more than made my contribution to saving unwanted animals.
Congratulations on finding a kitty
purebred or shelter is your choice as long as you give your kitty a good home. it really doesn't matter

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus

If you get a new cat get a shelter rescue.

If you want a new car, maybe you want a sports car. If you want a new motorcyle maybe you want a loud Harley.

But cats are living beings. Sure you have some requirement like in your post, the new adoptee would have to accept living with five other cats, but easily you can find such a cat in a shelter. This whole breeding and purebreed predilection treats cats like products bred to produce certain qualities like how an Apple is reputed to be more high-end and reliable than an E-machines. Besides it just contributes to overpopulation. You can find a decent amount of purebreeds at shelters as well, perhaps not a very specfic breed you may pin for. Cats should not be looked at as commodites with this or that trait or you do not want them, they are sentient beings.

What if I said that I started selective breeding of Jamaicans with Kenyans to produce the fastest kids? If it is wrong to selectively breed humans, how can it be right for animals?
...And if humans have the right to exist....don't cats? Actually, we selectively breed ourselves!
To the OP, there is nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed of cat. You go for it! Rescue kitties are great too, but if you are looking for something very specific, sometimes a purebred cat from a RESPONSIBLE BREEDER is the way to go. We all have the right to choose that option for ourselves. Incidentally, every cat I've ever had except one has been a shelter, rescue or "found" kitty (the "one" was an impulse move at the age of 20 for a pet store kitty). I am considering buying a Turkish Angora or Turkish Van in the somewhat distant future because I would like to show in Premier. There are some wonderful breeds of cat that I would hate to see disappear. Some cats are better with dogs and kids than others; some like to swim, some are more hypoallergenic than others....in other words, there is something for everyone and you should NOT feel guilty if you decide to get a purebred cat, whether from a rescue or from a breeder.