Boy, I am feeling great!!!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not earth-shattering news, I suppose!!!

Let me explain: I've suffered from insomnia off and on a lot for about 3 years. FINALLY, I've gone (as of today) 3 whole weeks with blessedly wonderful sleep!!!!
I think this is the longest time I have had of full-sleeping nights for about 3 years. I've had bouts of insomina off and on before about 15 years, but never had a stretch like the last one. I didn't realize how lousy I felt all the time until about 3 days into the non-insomnia pattern. I feel so much better, and far more energetic and relaxed. I'm getting so many things done around the house.

I don't know what changed, but dang it, it's GOOD! I think I just needed to get in a new sleeping pattern to continue the good rest thing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing what a little sleep can do for you isn't it?!

I had a sleep study done a couple of years ago and found out that I have severe sleep apnea. I was always tired and worn out and had no energy. Now that I'm using a CPAP machine when I'm sleeping, I feel so rested when I wake up.

I hope you find out the secret to your sudden ability to sleep and are able to maintain it!

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you ever figure out the why, please post it. Even sleeping pills don't keep me out for more than a couple hours, they just make me stupid when I wake up. I am sooo tired.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! As an insomniac myself, I REALLY know of what you speak.

Congratulations and ENJOY!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am having a bad bout of insomnia at the moment - it is getting so frustrating and nothing is working, not even pills.

How did you get your lovely sleep? I would love to know!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I was just coming to post "Tell our Kellye what your secret is!"
Yeah I should have thought you would ask!

Seriously, I have had it since I was in my teens...so 15 years give or take.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also an insomniac. I find that having the TV on helps me to fall alseep (sometimes, *sigh*) My mind races and keeps me awake, and by having something else to focus on helps still that. It has to be something I have seen before though, other wise I am now interested and wanting to watch TV.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Seriously, I have had it since I was in my teens...so 15 years give or take.
Does a couple of beers or a glass of wine not help Kellye?.

My friend who lost her husband a couple of years ago still has trouble sleeping without her pills, but if she's had a few ciders she sleeps like a top!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Does a couple of beers or a glass of wine not help Kellye?.

My friend who lost her husband a couple of years ago still has trouble sleeping without her pills, but if she's had a few ciders she sleeps like a top!
I have a bottle of wine in the fridge. I don't drink very much so I will have to try that.
Beer =
I didn't mind beer before but now I can't stomach it. I don't know why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I wish I could tell you soemthing definite, but I'm not sure what it is...but, whatever it is, I like it!

I think much of my insomnia is caused by by mind. I tend to mull over problems too much in my mind, often before I go to bed, or plan out projects in my head. That's not as bad as what usually happens simply because I'm having trouble getting to sleep (that's what happens when I have a bout of insomnia--it's not something that wakes me up; it's the fact that I just can't get to sleep). When I can't get to sleep, I lay there, listening to the clock tick. Not smart. I just keep checking the time, thinking, "It's 2 AM. I have to get to sleep." It's 3 AM, and I have to be up at 6 to go to work. I gotta sleep!", and so-forth. THIS DRIVES YOU INSANE!!!! Also, my trigger seems to be Sunday night. Long ago, I had trouble getting to sleep on a Sunday night for some reason I can't remember. Then, it turned into EVERY Sunday night (unless I had Monday off). So, here's what I think the solution was:

1. Put the darned clock away! I removed the batteries from the wall clock in the hall; I do set my alarm clock, but put the clock in the nightstand drawer. If I wake up, I refuse to look at the time, and just go back to bed.

2. I always have a hot bath about 1 hour before bedtime, and lay in bed without the covers (and sometimes nude
), so that I start cooling down fast (I read somewhere that your body needs the cooling effect to get sleepy). I turn on the overhead ceiling fan.Then, I lay down, and try to read a book. As I get colder, I gradually pull up the sheet, then a blanket, then another, etc.

3. Divorce a man who has a prostate problem, who has to get up to pee 10 times a night. Just kidding!
Seriously though, I wonder how much of our insomnia is due to what a bed partner does in the night (NO, not THAT!)--such as tossing & turning, snoring, getting up for the bathroom. I wonder if we don't conciously realize some of this when it happens before we wake up "for no reason"?

4. Set a firm bedtime every night, whether you have to be up later the next day or not; work day or not, etc. Get in a pattern.

5. I guess you could avoid certain foods before bed; I don't seem to be affected this way myself.

6. This may t.m.i. here--but I find that "being romantic" just before trying to sleep makes it hard for me to sleep. Not for him, though! (I once read that men usually sleep better afterwards; women have the opposite problem. It reminds me of a female cat after mating--she rolls over, inviting the male for more action! LOL)

7. I really think what happened was accidental--I luckily got to sleep on a Sunday night--and got in the habit.

8. When I am ready to really go to sleep, I read a passage from my favorite book. Not that it's dull, but I guess the familiar relaxes me. BTW, it's Moment in Peking, by Lin Yutang--a novel. I guess since I've read the info over and over, my mind doesn't race, thinking about the book while I'm trying to get to sleep. I wait until my eyes have trouble staying open. Then I turn out the light. Sometimes, I employ the opposite trick--I read book that I really want to read, but have a cut-off time. It's like being a kid, who is allowed to stay up really late, and wants to so badly, but finds themself nodding off.

9. A biggie that helps me: background noise. We've been using the window AC unit in the master bedroom (our central air doesn't really work in that room), and the ceiling fan. I think you can buy white noise machines, too.

10. I sometimes go into the guest room to sleep if I can't sleep. A change of scenery seems to work, at least after a couple of hours!

11. I find that doing something around the house (but NOt excercise, which keys me up at night) helps. Neighbors must wonder why I'm doing housework at 10 PM! I find that even washing the litter boxes out, or hand-washing dishes helps, as long as I do it an hour or 2 before bedtime. I always sleep better after a day of heavy gardening, too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - that is fabulous!
And for those with insomnia, thanks for sharing the tips. you're able to keep it up! It is amazing how much we actually do need our sleep.

Laurie