Just got home from seeing "The Half-Blood Prince" **Possible Spoilers**

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CAUTION!!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

It was pretty good, actually. It followed the idea of the story quite well, with a few quibbles.

1. Almost no one is wearing their robes any more.

2. The incident of the attack at The Burrow seemed to be made up out of whole cloth.

I really like Luna Lovegood. I don't think she got anywhere near enough reward for her input of friendship.

Tonks, one of my favorite characters, came off as very bland in this movie.

Ron Weasley is finally taller than Harry, although he was described as quite tall and thin from the beginning of book 1.

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

made up out of whole cloth.
I'm not quite sure what that means... but I think I agree, on all accounts.

I was also a bit disapointed in the ending, it was not nearly as tear jerking as the book, it would have been worth an extra 5-10min of film to do it right.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Darn it I haven't been able to see it yet!

I want to soo bad too!

I keep hearing that the ending was horrible...I guess I shall have to judge for myself. =O

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ending is OK. By the time you get there, it's been going for 2 1/2 hours.

Another quibble. The Elder Wand (Dumbledore's wand) was in his office, instead of buried with him.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The ending is OK. By the time you get there, it's been going for 2 1/2 hours.

Another quibble. The Elder Wand (Dumbledore's wand) was in his office, instead of buried with him.
That peeved me to, but since they kinda skipped the whole funeral thing... maybe it will still wind up with him

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was dissapointed in the ending also. The books' ending was MUCH better (and also a tear-jerker).

But then again- none of the movies has really "followed" the books since the first book- I think they're just too long. I look at it as another interpetation of the book.

After the movie- I asked my youngest (who has also seen the 1st Twilight movie) which one was better. And in their opinion, who's the better author. Hands down my entire family said that J.K Rowling is a far better author than the Twilight author (I can't spell her name LOL). And Harry's movie was also far better than Twilight's movie.

Cheryl

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should have mentioned also that although Rupert Grint has grown taller than Daniel Radcliff, so has Emma Watson and, unfortunately, Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley).

Apparently, the attack on The Burrow bothered others.

Attack on the Burrow

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually saw someone on another forum asking if they should read the books before seeing the movie.

Well, duh.

Lots of background you'll never pick up in the movie. Just for example:

Bellatrix Lestrange ("Bella"), who appears to be quite batty and wickedly cruel, is Draco Malfoy's mother's sister. She is also Sirius Black's cousin. She also tortured Neville Longbottom's parents into insanity.

Fenrir Greyback, the man/werewolf who appears repeatedly in this movie, is the werewolf who bit and infected Remus Lupin.

Remus and Tonks came off as very bland; Tonks is actually a real tease and very fun.

There are lots more. What would you add?

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I actually saw someone on another forum asking if they should read the books before seeing the movie.

Well, duh.

Lots of background you'll never pick up in the movie. Just for example:

Bellatrix Lestrange ("Bella"), who appears to be quite batty and wickedly cruel, is Draco Malfoy's mother's sister. She is also Sirius Black's cousin. She also tortured Neville Longbottom's parents into insanity.

Fenrir Greyback, the man/werewolf who appears repeatedly in this movie, is the werewolf who bit and infected Remus Lupin.

Remus and Tonks came off as very bland; Tonks is actually a real tease and very fun.

There are lots more. What would you add?
I agree with this. I also dislike that they've cut Dobby out of all the movies. After he plays such a huge part in the second film (and book), it seems pretty lame to cut him out of all of the others, since he is important to the last book as well.

I was very disappointed at Tonks' "blandness." She is one of my favorite characters.

I didn't like the addition of the scene at the Burrow. I thought it was handled badly. Perhaps they could have left the scene (or a similar scene) in and done it better, but it basically made no sense. Why does Harry need his shoe tied when he is going up to bed? Why can only Harry and Genny jump through the fire, but not the Aurors and Order of the Phoenix members, much more advanced wizards? Why do the two Death Eaters burn down the Burrow, but don't attempt to kill anyone else? I realize that they may not have tried to kill Harry because Voldemort would not have wanted them to, but why not Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Ron, Remus, Tonks? It made no sense to me. And then after that scene, no one mentioned it again. Ron didn't seem upset when they got back to school that his home had been BURNT DOWN?!

I think if they were after making everyone believe that nothing was safe in the wizard world anymore, it really would have been BETTER to leave the Death Eater attack on the muggle bridge and put in the newspaper headlines then emphasize the attack on Hogwards, like in the book. I don't think that the movie needed another random action scene to keep it from being a romantic comedy (like I have read somewhere). Also, putting Harry under the floor instead of paralyzed under his invisibility cloak was a mistake, IMO. The scene would have been so much more dramatic if Harry was watching Dumbledore die while he was right next to him, just like in the book. I don't mind so much that they cut out the fight - Harry missed most of it anyway... But his fight with Snape was longer and a lot more dramatic, and backed by a lot of crazy action in the novel, and I'm sad that Dumbledore's death and the fight with Snape were so anti-climactic. Very lame.

I liked Ron with Lavender (Won-won, aww), I liked Slughorn, I liked Katie Bell with the necklace (very creepy!) and the poisoned mead. I liked Ron and the Quidditch match, and the dynamics with Ron and Hermione (with Harry as a buffer). I liked the kids who played young Voldemort, also very creepy. I was sad that we never saw anyone in Defense Against the Dark Arts class after they looked so shocked that Snape finally got that job. I liked Fred & George's joke shop and the burnt out buildings and attack on Diagon Alley (yet another BETTER way to show that the wizarding world is no longer safe...). I thought the butter beer looked delicious and I LOVED Luna.

The only thing I liked out of the whole Burrow scene was Molly's face while she watched her home burn down. Beautiful acting.

So there's my list of quibbles.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just by the way, if I were writing the book, I think in the final epilogue I would have had Harry married to Luna. Yes, I know that would be a shock, but how many actually end up marrying their first love, or even their second one? I actually thought that was what Rowling was leading up to, with Luna's last name.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just by the way, if I were writing the book, I think in the final epilogue I would have had Harry married to Luna. Yes, I know that would be a shock, but how many actually end up marrying their first love, or even their second one? I actually thought that was what Rowling was leading up to, with Luna's last name.
I didn't expect Luna to be married to Harry, necessarily, but I expected her to be married to somebody. We never really find out what happens to her in the epilogue. I wonder where she ended up.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't expect Luna to be married to Harry, necessarily, but I expected her to be married to somebody. We never really find out what happens to her in the epilogue. I wonder where she ended up.
I was hoping that Luna would end up with Neville; they are both such sweet-hearts, and deserve to have a "happy ever after".

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seams that no one has said this yet, but where was the whole opening to the book??? When Fudge goes to see the Prime Minister and explains what is happening? Where we learn that Fudge was fired and there is a new Minister of Magic? I know it is not a huge deal but it would have been a good way to show that no one was safe!

I agree that Dobby shouold not have been cut from the movies! I know Hermione's House Elf Club thing was kinda stupid (at least I thought so), but he plays a pretty big part in the books. Where was Fleur? Why have the cut Bill and Purcy out of the movies completely? Why has not not been explained anywhere that the prophecy could be referring to Neville? Why did Harry get picked up at a train station when he was really at his Aunt's and Uncle's?? Why did they not explain how Harry inherited the house?

...I'll stop now but there were A LOT of things that bugged me about this movie. This was by far my favorite book so I was expecting the movie to be something perfect.

I also didn't like Tonks in the movie. I know in this book she was so down, but in the past that made her kinda.... blah. I HATED when the burned down the Burrow. It just didn't make sense at all! I was told the last book is going to be separated into two movies maybe they will do the funeral at the start of the next movie.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I think the epilogue of the last book says that Luna Lovegood became a naturalist and she married a fellow naturalist, the grandson of Newt Scamander, named Rolf, and they had twin boys, named Lorcan and Lysander. But that may have come from an interview with Rowling.