Any Ideas ?

smashleyxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This April Past my cat was taken to the vet with a crystal blockage. I had no idea what was going on with him but when it got to the point he wasnt eating or drinking and was very disoriented I brought him to the vet where they kept him for two days and treated him . he was on Meds for a little while after and I had to change his diet. Reacently I noticed him licking himself excessively and going to the box every couple of minutes so afraid it was going to happen again I brought him to the vet . The vet put him on meds again and he's been doing great since everything is back to normal luckely I caught it early this time. Anyways my question is is there anything I can do besides the vet recomended diet and keeping an eye on him ? I heard that trying to increase his water intake may help right now he's on a wet diet and I've been adding water to the gravy in the food, I have a water fountain that he drinks from are there anymore little 'tricks' to try and get them to drink more. Basically is there anything I can do besides what I am to try and prevent this from happening again or atleast not so often because I hate to see him going through this every 3 months !

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some think eating a wet food instead of dry is the single most important step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smashleyxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's on a dissolution wet food right now and has been for a week the vet recomended that he stay on that for 3 weeks and then go on the medi-cal preventive food ... the preventive food comes in both wet and dry.. should I stick with the wet ?

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMO anything wet is better than dry for helping to prevent crystals from forming. More water means less concentrated and less time spent in the bladder. Here is an article from a fairly well known company with western conventional vets http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2142&aid=2729. there's a fairly good chance you will have luck with regular wet food (try to stay away from fish).

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had chronic UTI's before having corrective surgery. I used to give him chicken broth as a treat to encourage him to drink more. Of course, you want the lowest sodium possible and since he was sick I got him the organic, free range chicken broth.

smashleyxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

One of my cats had chronic UTI's before having corrective surgery. I used to give him chicken broth as a treat to encourage him to drink more. Of course, you want the lowest sodium possible and since he was sick I got him the organic, free range chicken broth.
so organic chicken broth that's low in sodium ? I can try that that sounds good. He loves the wet food only problem is I also have a female who will only eat hard food she will turn away from anything wet are there any little tricks for trying to get her to eat the wet food or any way I can introduce her to the wet food that would make it more appealing to her ?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Smashleyxo

...are there any little tricks for trying to get her to eat the wet food or any way I can introduce her to the wet food that would make it more appealing to her ?
Some ideas for you here.

smashleyxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys this has been very helpfull ! if you can think of anything else please dont hesitate to post or write me !