Does anyone have a good receipe for spaghetti salad dressing?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am making spaghetti salad for next weekend and pulled out my mom's old receipe...only to find out the one thing she DIDN'T include was the dressing. Of course, mom knew so many things by heart it was probably second nature to her. But, does anyone have a good receipe that would work? I haven't had it in years but the dressing I remember was very creamy. In the salad there is angel hair pasta, cubed chedder cheese, diced green peppers and crushed pineapple. Actually you can use anything, but that is what I'm planning on using.

Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS good but its the dressing that really makes it. I think it is an Italian receipe that was brought over from Italy when my great-great grandfather and grandmother came to the US. I've never seen a receipe like it anywhere else except in our family, but I'm sure we're not the only ones who make it.

Maybe I'll call my aunt and see if she knows how to make it, but if I do I know I'll be on the phone for hours!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if homemade mayo was the dressing? It has a very different taste and "mouth feel" than the stuff in the jars, much richer and more creamy. Also more yellow in color.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

have you tried googling it? There may be something similar. Sounds yummy though
I did google it and all I got were a lot of receipes with "salad supreme", or italian dressing. I have NO idea what salad supreme (apparently a spice or salad dressing?)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I wonder if homemade mayo was the dressing? It has a very different taste and "mouth feel" than the stuff in the jars, much richer and more creamy. Also more yellow in color.
That's possible, but Mom always used mirclewhip instead of mayo. But, it could be a variation of it. I do know it had some "zip" either from vinegar or seasonings or something else, but it was definitely creamy. I have to google how to make homemade mayo first and find out if that's similar. But thanks for the tip.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My mother always made her own dressing for pasta salad. Basically it was Miracle Whip thinned with lemon juice. You need to whip it well and keep adding a little lemon juice at a time to get the consistency you want. You can also add dill, lemon pepper, flax seeds, or anything else you think would taste good with pasta.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a coleslaw dressing would be good with the ingredients you describe. You can make your own or buy it in a bottle.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I am making spaghetti salad for next weekend and pulled out my mom's old receipe...only to find out the one thing she DIDN'T include was the dressing. Of course, mom knew so many things by heart it was probably second nature to her. But, does anyone have a good receipe that would work? I haven't had it in years but the dressing I remember was very creamy. In the salad there is angel hair pasta, cubed chedder cheese, diced green peppers and crushed pineapple. Actually you can use anything, but that is what I'm planning on using.

Any suggestions?
I make a pasta salad that sounds a lot like this...it has elbow macaroni, cubed cheddar cheese, diced green peppers, finely chopped onion, sometimes finely chopped celery, a bit of sweet pickle relish (though I like the sounds of chrushed pineapple instead) and Miracle Whip. I don't have a specific recipe, I just throw all the stuff together until it "looks right".

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spaghetti salad sounds really interesting!

Any chance you will post the recipe?

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering how to make angel hair pasta (my favorite BTW) into a salad, doesen't it clump up despite any dressing?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

I am wondering how to make angel hair pasta (my favorite BTW) into a salad, doesen't it clump up despite any dressing?
The secret to avoiding clumped pasta is to add some of the sauce/dressing to the pasta as soon as it is drained. When I have spaghetti and meat balls, as soon as I drain the pasta (I use angel hair pasta instead of regular spaghetti or spaghettini), I put it in a large pasta serving bowl, add some of the spaghetti sauce and mix it well. When it is served I add more sauce and the meatballs. That would also work for a pasta salad - just add some of the dressing immediately after draining.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Spaghetti salad sounds really interesting!

Any chance you will post the recipe?
Sure! All you do is cook up spaghetti as usual (break it into thirds though) and cook it until it's just a little under done. I'm making it for a bunch of people so I'll probably use 2 boxes, but the receipe only calls for one.

Cut up a block of mild chedder or velveta cheese.

Diced green peppers.

A can (or two) of drained, crushed pinapple.

Mystery dressing
and voila!

Oh, it also says to let it sit at least overnight to the the flavors all the way through, so you would want to prepare it the night (or a few nights) before.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you let the pasta cool to room temperature you won't need as much dressing as the cool/cold pasta won't absorb so much.