TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › St. John's wort
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. John's wort

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Just wondering if anyone has ever taken this supplement and if so, do you think it helps your mood? My sister suggested I take it.
post #2 of 9
I remember trying it when my dad was dying and it made me feel "loopy". It definitely did not elevate my mood.
post #3 of 9
I know a number of people who use it and it helps them - but you can't take it if you're on any other mood stabilizers or any type of meds that lower your blood pressure. It's one of those non-regulated OTC products that can cause problems if mixed with other OTC products or scrip meds with which it interacts. It also helps some people with certain types of headaches.

Laurie
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG View Post
I know a number of people who use it and it helps them - but you can't take it if you're on any other mood stabilizers or any type of meds that lower your blood pressure. It's one of those non-regulated OTC products that can cause problems if mixed with other OTC products or scrip meds with which it interacts. It also helps some people with certain types of headaches.

Laurie
Oh, I'm on high blood pressure meds......you don't think I should take it?
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Oh, I'm on high blood pressure meds......you don't think I should take it?
No I wouldn't take it. It does interfere with a lot of prescriptions.
post #6 of 9
Susie, if your mood issues are hormone related have you considered taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules.

I know that the jury is out on them but they were recommended to me after investigation for suspected breast cancer (happily turned out not to be the case), instead it turned out that hormones had caused and aggravated cysts. The capsules have helped regulate these hormonal issues for me and are also said to help folks who have high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol levels. Again, not proven, but enough out there to suggest that it may help.

ETA - I forgot to say, but vitally important that you check out any suggestions with your medical practitioner before taking them (I know you would do this anyway).
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info Beth........hummmmmmm, looks like a call to my doctor is in order.............
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever View Post
Oh, I'm on high blood pressure meds......you don't think I should take it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
No I wouldn't take it. It does interfere with a lot of prescriptions.
St. John's Wort can increase your blood pressure:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Hyperte...ort?&id=540112

And if anyone wants to read up on what it does and doesn't do, and possible side-effects and drug interactions (a LONG list of them!), you can read this, at the National Institutes of Health:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...johnswort.html

There is an entire section on interaction with other meds and herbal supplements.

Laurie
post #9 of 9
I tried St Johns Wort. It only made me feel "airy". Not what I needed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › St. John's wort