Finished my clinicals today (long, grab a snack))

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a rough week! (the last week of 2 on the hospital cardiac ward) Very tired! I think the fever and all the other bad stuff happened to me like a big cluster you know what and floored me. Exhaustion. After a day of complete rest (monday, except being on the computer, lol)) the fever was down without any help from ipuprofen into a normal range and everything with my body calmed down a bit. I did wear a mask and gloves going into any room the next day back, just to have them safe, and be sure I would not harm them, or me. I explained to them and the family visiting the patients I may be coming off a cold or touch of the flu, and if they were not comfortable with me there I would get another aide without worry. They all told me not a problem, and thanks for the dedication.
I took every precaution to keep everyone safe.
So some thoughts now that that part is done.
Wearing the mask into every room all day really helped when cleaning up bed pan poopies, less smell!
I could still smell the ladies through the mask. You have to be really thorough when cleaning them, or major infections can happen. (and saw ladies with red about to get bad marks running right along that thigh line)
Don't be embarassed about doing the nastier bits care, the patients I took care of werent! A lady cracked me up today I told her "I am going to clean you buttocks now" She said, 'Well, Im sure they need it will all the prune juice" lol
Never assume anyone has done what you asked, check on it youself.
Never be afraid to ask for help, even if it seems a simple thing you (think) you should know.
If someone you ask for help dismisses you, go to others. Don't let them put you off.
Chart, chart, chart.
Invest in good shoes.
Dont take all that "body mechanics" for granted, it will save your back.

ETA: Also, as soon as you gear up into an isolation room, you will get an itch on your face!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That totally sounds stressful!

It sounds like you really care about what you do - thank you! The world needs more people who care about their job. Even the parts of the job that aren't so much fun need to be done and too often, people just gloss over that part and end up with other people paying for the laziness!

Ok, so I will get off my soapbox now. Sorry about that

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You and my friend Fiona should swap stories. The things she was telling me last night about one of the elderly gentlemen she looks after cracked me up!

You certainly sound in the right frame of mind like my friend though, so good for you!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on finishing your clinicals! And that wasn't so long, trust me. When I say "long" above a post, it is REALLY long.
You sound like you really care about the people you will be working with, and I think that is awesome. Congrats again!

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

It was a rough week! (the last week of 2 on the hospital cardiac ward) Very tired! I think the fever and all the other bad stuff happened to me like a big cluster you know what and floored me. Exhaustion. After a day of complete rest (monday, except being on the computer, lol)) the fever was down without any help from ipuprofen into a normal range and everything with my body calmed down a bit. I did wear a mask and gloves going into any room the next day back, just to have them safe, and be sure I would not harm them, or me. I explained to them and the family visiting the patients I may be coming off a cold or touch of the flu, and if they were not comfortable with me there I would get another aide without worry. They all told me not a problem, and thanks for the dedication.
I took every precaution to keep everyone safe.
So some thoughts now that that part is done.
Wearing the mask into every room all day really helped when cleaning up bed pan poopies, less smell!
I could still smell the ladies through the mask. You have to be really thorough when cleaning them, or major infections can happen. (and saw ladies with red about to get bad marks running right along that thigh line)
Don't be embarassed about doing the nastier bits care, the patients I took care of werent! A lady cracked me up today I told her "I am going to clean you buttocks now" She said, 'Well, Im sure they need it will all the prune juice" lol
Never assume anyone has done what you asked, check on it youself.
Never be afraid to ask for help, even if it seems a simple thing you (think) you should know.
If someone you ask for help dismisses you, go to others. Don't let them put you off.
Chart, chart, chart.
Invest in good shoes.
Dont take all that "body mechanics" for granted, it will save your back.

ETA: Also, as soon as you gear up into an isolation room, you will get an itch on your face!
I'm glad you are done and still ready to move on. I admit I didn't make it, though I was trying to become and RN. I still do caregiving and still have to clean the poopie stuff up.
Yep, it takes a special person to care for those that really need the help. Welcome to the healthcare field!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Still have the final exam to take, have a week to study for it, then of course the state certification after that, so still not quite done with it all, but the clinicals really had me nervous before I started them, and being the first class ever on the cardiac ward, well no pressure there!