New member needs advise and support

macy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new here but hoping I can get some advise on Fuzzy, its a long story but I will try to condense it:

This all started June 27 when he suddenly got a bloody nose that wouldn't stop. We have been doing allot of drywall work in the house and have been doing allot of sanding. I took him to the vet and they did xrays and dental work on him which included extracting 2 teeth. Xrays showed nothing wrong and the vet gave him Doxcycline, 1/4 tablet a day for 2 weeks and prednisolone. I also found out that he had two teeth pulled and has 2 stitches in his upper front jaw, that will dissolve. Also the bleeding stopped entirely that day and hasn't happened since.

Now the problem I have is that he won't eat. Sat night he was so bad I thought he was going to die so I stopped all the antibiotics and the steroid, and he seemed to get better but on Monday he was sorta of quiet slept all the time, but was eating kitty treats, not allot of them, about 5 or 6. Took him for his follow up on Tuesday and the vet said that he was sort of dehydrated so gave him the liquids and fed me the riot act for stopping his meds. She also gave him a shot for pain and told me to try to pump the calories into him.
She also told me that his platelet count was low along with his red blood cell count was low.

Wed it was like he was a new cat! He was running to his food dish, nibbling lightly on dry food, eating a few kitty treats but still looking at his wet food and turning away. This was great until I went to give him his pills. I fought with him for 20 minutes to get them down and ever since then he is lethargic and won't even look at food.

Well its like one step forward and two steps back. He was starting to nibble on his food and the next day I got up and he had a little blood on the bottom of his nose. I was like here we go again. But I opened his mouth and found an abrasion on his gum right behind where his front teeth would be if he had them. So off to the vet again. This vet is obsessed with tumors and she said that it could be a tumor surfacing. That and his temperature was a little low but she said she wasn't to concerned about that. I asked her if it could be from the antibiotics, they switched me tetracycline in a powder form three days prior that I had to syringe in him and it was terrible, he was frothing at the mouth and gagging like he was going to throw up afterward. She said possibly or a trauma from the pill popper or syringe, or dry food. I stopped the antibiotic after the frothing incident.

I am down to the every other day on his pred, but I am concerned that his tummy is upset from the pred. He keeps smacking his lips and looks like he doesn't feel good, and it gets worse when I put food in fromt of him. I gave him his pred tonight and he started to drool afterward and now is resorting to hiding behind the couch. I am so frustrated, last night he came out when company came over and he was such a lovey kitty, now tonight he is acting really sick again. If I knew he wouldn't get sick from stopping the pred right now I would just stop it and see if I can get him feeling well again.
Its been threes weeks now and I am about ready to cry, so any support or help would be greatly appreciated.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have a lot going on, so I am replying to several of your comments within the original body of your post.

Originally Posted by macy's mom

I am new here but hoping I can get some advise on Fuzzy, its a long story but I will try to condense it:

This all started June 27 when he suddenly got a bloody nose that wouldn't stop. We have been doing allot of drywall work in the house and have been doing allot of sanding.

My thought is perhaps lead poisoning? cats are so susceptible to toxins more than we are, and if he sniffed some dust of old paint containing lead, this could cause the bloody nose. Did they do bloodwork?

I took him to the vet and they did xrays and dental work on him which included extracting 2 teeth. Xrays showed nothing wrong and the vet gave him Doxcycline, 1/4 tablet a day for 2 weeks and prednisolone. I also found out that he had two teeth pulled and has 2 stitches in his upper front jaw, that will dissolve. Also the bleeding stopped entirely that day and hasn't happened since.

Now the problem I have is that he won't eat. Sat night he was so bad I thought he was going to die so I stopped all the antibiotics and the steroid,

Unfortunately, you can't stop prednisone all at once, the cat has to be weaned off it or long-term issues can result. It probably hurts him to eat, were you syringe feeding him? My suggestion would be to get an appetite stimulant from the vet and try giving him a gruel of baby food and warm water in a feeding syringe. I would also start putting Lysine into his food as well as that helps sore mouths on kitties.

and he seemed to get better but on Monday he was sorta of quiet slept all the time, but was eating kitty treats, not allot of them, about 5 or 6. Took him for his follow up on Tuesday and the vet said that he was sort of dehydrated so gave him the liquids and fed me the riot act for stopping his meds. She also gave him a shot for pain and told me to try to pump the calories into him.
She also told me that his platelet count was low along with his red blood cell count was low.

Wed it was like he was a new cat! He was running to his food dish, nibbling lightly on dry food, eating a few kitty treats but still looking at his wet food and turning away. This was great until I went to give him his pills. I fought with him for 20 minutes to get them down and ever since then he is lethargic and won't even look at food.

Well its like one step forward and two steps back. He was starting to nibble on his food and the next day I got up and he had a little blood on the bottom of his nose. I was like here we go again. But I opened his mouth and found an abrasion on his gum right behind where his front teeth would be if he had them. So off to the vet again. This vet is obsessed with tumors and she said that it could be a tumor surfacing. That and his temperature was a little low but she said she wasn't to concerned about that. I asked her if it could be from the antibiotics, they switched me tetracycline in a powder form three days prior that I had to syringe in him and it was terrible, he was frothing at the mouth and gagging like he was going to throw up afterward. She said possibly or a trauma from the pill popper or syringe, or dry food. I stopped the antibiotic after the frothing incident.

I would suggest they compound the drugs he needs so you can just rub it on his ear.

I am down to the every other day on his pred, but I am concerned that his tummy is upset from the pred. He keeps smacking his lips and looks like he doesn't feel good, and it gets worse when I put food in fromt of him. I gave him his pred tonight and he started to drool afterward and now is resorting to hiding behind the couch.

The drool is normal, it is because the prednisone is really bitter. He is hiding from you because you are "pilling" him and he wants no part of it. That is why compounding the drugs would lessen the impact of giving him meds.

I am so frustrated, last night he came out when company came over and he was such a lovey kitty, now tonight he is acting really sick again. If I knew he wouldn't get sick from stopping the pred right now I would just stop it and see if I can get him feeling well again.
Its been threes weeks now and I am about ready to cry, so any support or help would be greatly appreciated.
He also is under stress, he needs a quiet dark room in which to rest and get his strength back. I would isolate him, spend time with him just reading and talking to him, and get his meds compounded. Also the prednisone will upset their tummies, and cause them not to eat. It is just a side effect of a drug.

I would also run a second blood panel on him and see if his levels raise up. And if you can handle it, have your vet show you how to give supportive fluids so if he dehydrates, you can get to him quicker and cheaper than the vet can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response, it made me feel a bit better.

I take him back for blood work on Monday, when I took him in when all of this first started they did blood work and said it was all normal but is platelets were a little low, the second set of work said he was slightly anemic but his platelet count had gotten better, but was still a little low.

I can call them and see if they can compound the predinsolone to see if that can help. I am actually really mad that they pulled teeth while he was going through this, not only was he dealing with the bloody nose he then had to deal with stitches in his upper gum where they took a tooth out.

I believe he is drinking water, when I took him to the vet on Monday he was totally hydrated and she showed me how to check for it and he seems fine with that.

Before today he wanted to eat and would run to his dishes, but would just sit there, sniff it, smack and lick his lips and then walk away. I think I may have turned him off to canned food since I was mixing his meds in it then syringing it into him. My husband said he was eating dry yesterday and licked his wet food a bit.

So you think it boils down to the upset tummy from the meds and me pilling him why he is acting this way? I am hoping that when I am done he will get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

macy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No go on the compound, they can check into it, but I wouldn't have it until Monday and then he will only have 2 pills to go and he is done with the script.