Feliway success stories?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll admit I was not a believer in feliway--I had never tried it but I didn't think it would ever work. But with the addition of Pepper to the family I knew I had to do something to try and calm Jack's nerves--he already gets alittle out of hand with Harley, and even after 4 weeks still hadnt stopped hissing at Pepper.

It came in the mail today and maybe its just dumb luck but he already seems more at ease with Harley--I can't judge on Pepper because she was spayed Monday and is underconfinement for the most part. I had a pile of dirty laundry by the basement door and Jack and Harley were sacked out on it together--very unusual--the feliway is plugged in right next to the pile of dirty clothes I might add.

So just curious feliway success stories??? I am praying this is the answer to our problems.

Leslie

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We started using Feliway about 4 years ago when Hannah joined our family. It's been a life saver! I can tell when it's time to change the diffuser because Callie, our older cat, gets hissy and seems stressed out.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - seemed to help quite a bit when I introduced my second cat, and I also can see a increase in the stress level when the diffuser gets low. Good luck!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought it helped at least a little with Daisy. I was desperate and willing to try just about anything, though it I found it to be expensive. You can imagine my surprise when DH threw away my diffuser like it was a plug-in air fresherner from the grocery store.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has made a HUGE positive difference for my poor Ferris at different times in his life, most recently when we moved into a new home after an 820 mile road trip!

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister had a chronic spraying male cat on and off for 8 years. She moved into a new 1 bedroom apartment and purchased 2 of the feliway diffusers. She also applied Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy (a stress reliever for pets) and a flower essence called "Spraying cat" formula. She has now been in the apartment for 5 months and he has not sprayed once. After about 2-3 months she stopped using everything except for the Feliway diffusers. She gets them for cheap on EBAY. She says he is a new cat. Much more relaxed and loving. She will continue plugging in these diffusers just in case this is what is keeping him from spraying. It is awesome to see a cat that sprayed 2-3 times a week go to not spraying at all

Her apartment is small (just over 500 square feet so having 2 diffusers is definately covering the entire apartment twice over (which I think is important). If you can, I would say buy more than one diffuser if you live in a bigger space (atleast 2-3 of them). Spread them out throughout the house.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

We started using Feliway about 4 years ago when Hannah joined our family. It's been a life saver! I can tell when it's time to change the diffuser because Callie, our older cat, gets hissy and seems stressed out.
Same at my house. Moose gets edgy and hissy too when it's time for a refill.

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I LOVE it! I used a diffuser when I adopted Pepper to help Claire get over having a stranger in the house. After 30 minutes Claire was a different cat! I couldn't believe it! We went from protected supervised visits so Claire wouldn't kill her to letting them all roam together in 1 day. I don't use it anymore but I kept it going for about 3 months before I took it away. What a lifesaver!

I use the spray also. Pepper hates the car. She will vomit, urinate all over, shed, shake and cry. Going to the vet sucks basically. I spray down the carrier 1 hour before we leave the house and it is so much better. She is still terrified, but she only cries, no vomit or urine anymore.

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
+1 for the fan club. I got 2 cats simultaneously last year -- no other cats in the house. One is a bully and gives the other (twice her size!) lots of grief and it got to the point where the one wouldn't move from her "safe place" -- she seemed so unhappy and gained about 3 pounds in 6 weeks because she wouldn't budge from her spot other than to eat or use the litterbox -- no playing, nothing. Very sad. I bought Feliway at the vet's suggestion. Balked at the price and returned it to the store, got more desperate and went and bought it again and my gosh! In the space of just a couple of days she was roving around the house and playing again. Whew. I have 2 running constantly and am thinking of adding a third, as we still have quite a bit of hissing in the bedroom. I can tell when they run out, like others have reported, by the spiking stress levels -- more spats, more hisses.
I was a total doubter, now I'm a true believer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that so many are having success!!! It does seem as though it is helping here, it will be one week tomorrow. I think I will be buying more.

Leslie

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fulpmes

I bought Feliway at the vet's suggestion. Balked at the price and returned it to the store, got more desperate and went and bought it again
I love hearing these positive stories....

The price from the store or vets office can be pricey. Have you tried purchasing on Ebay or Amazon? We live in Canada and even with the dollar exchange and shipping charges my sister saved over $70 when purchasing 6 diffuser refills off Ebay.

Have you ever tried Bach Pet Rescue Remedy? It is a emergency remedy that helps calm pets in all kind of stressful situations. It is highly recommended by vets. So when you take your kitty to the vet you can use this for your kitty and maybe with a combination of the feliway spray she will be stress free? You can purchase it at health stores or online http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm. My sister purchases them off of iherb http://www.iherb.com/bach-original-f..._medium=c&at=0

I am going to use it next week when I take my cats on an hour drive out to the cabin....

princess79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a newbie here and I just posted my first thread of a behaviour problem with my multi cat home (one cat has a problem) no one has replied yet but this thread maybe the answer to my problems!

Thank you ALL!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

though it I found it to be expensive.
It is sometimes possible to find Feliway refills on E-bay. It should be much cheaper then the usual buying sources.

The risk of false sellers (here false Feliway) on E-bay is very small, as the sellers (and buyers) are registered and giving opinions to each other.

ps. I saw now Denali had already a similiar suggestion, ie buying on Ebay. A good solution if you buy on a regular basis, ie no hurry and you can plan ahead.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I think I will be buying more.
I think a fill is for about 6 weeks. But buy in advance so you are safe.

Btw. I often feel ridicolous recommending to give Feliway a try. Precisely like I was a seller, or had bonus from Feliway-selling rates...
But it cant hurt and often does help. The drawbacks are rare. I know some reported it could smell funny from it... That is rare but apparently can happen. That is all as far as I know.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also forgot to mention that I initially started using it for my older cat, but we have also discovered that it helps tremendously with our younger cat who's herpes positive. Keeping the stress level down keeps her herpes flare ups down, and that's a good thing for all of us!

I buy mine online from Entirely Pets when they're having a sale. They're always having some kind of sale and if you spend over $100 there's free shipping.

http://entirelypets.ecommerce-site-s...avior+problems

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Noticed a difference in my four cat household within 30 minutes. And they just seem to be getting mellower and mellower!

Best,

Elizabeth

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Talking about Feliway I should also mention Felifriend.

Felifriend is not another brand of the same, but a sibling.

It is a short term spray used to make the cat more comfortable in a situation. Like visiting a vet. I presume it should be useful for rescuers when catching semiferales, or cutting nails on reluctant cats.

You do spray your hands, or the cage, immediately before the use.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Where do you get it? I Googled Felifriend and only found supplies in the UK. Is it available in the U.S.?

Best,

Elizabeth

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used the feliway spray for the first time this weekend and what a difference it made for my cats and I.

I usually take my two cats to the cabin 1-2 times a year. It is about an hours drive. Lexus squeaks (she isn't a meower) the majority of the way there and pants alot. Well, I sprayed the inside of the carrier about 20 minutes before leaving and I also sprayed the blanket inside the carrier. What a stress free ride to the cabin. She may have squeaked 2 times there and 2 times on the way back. And NO panting. I will definately be using more of this stuff - especially to take her to the vets office