Jack update professional or experience help pleaseeee..!!!!!!!!!!

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So here's the update on Jack.. We had a house call for the vet and he came over yesterday and gave him a shot to settle his stomach to stop him from throwing up.. This morning we woke up and Jack was dry heaving but not throwing up.. We rushed him to the vet as soon as it opened this morning.. He has not ate or drank for three days now.. So anyways the vet gave him x rays and blood work, he also hydrated him with fluids.. The c Ray came back showing that there is nothing lodged in him he didn't swallow any thing but his intestines are swollen.. The blood work came back as normal but a very high normal white cell count.. The vet said that it is because he is fighting something off.. So we brought Jack home and he curled up in a corner of the kitchen and has been laying there for about three hours and not moving.. So just a little bit ago he went to get up and went to the other side of the kitchen and threw up water allllll over the place.. We got on the phone with the vet imediatly and he just came here for another house vist.. He gave him another shot to settle his stomach and the vomiting and a different shot for vitamins.. We are so worried for our kitty someone please let me know if there is anything left that we can do or ask..!!!!!!!!!! Very worried..!!!!!!! Day 4 still no change or food or water.. He has to go back to the vet tomorrow morning for more vitamins and another fluid
.. This is a complete mystery please help us, help my Jack..!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I ment anther fluid "shot".. I'm typing on my phone so I sometimes push the wrong button..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said the white cells are very high - did the vet give him an antibiotic shot as well? What about anti inflammatory for his swollen intestines? Have you discussed force feeding with the vet?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go to another vet. Your current vet doesn't seem to be doing much for Jack. Throwing up for 4 days is *not* good.

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea they gave him an antibiotic shot and they are also giving him an IV for fluids to keep him hydrated along with vitamin shots for food.. I can't really switch vets being that he has known Jack since he was a kitten and we fully trust him he and his wife work together and they are amazing.. Besides he not just your typical vet he also owns a zoo and takes care of his animals.. He's very trustworthy.. Anyways, I just can't understand why Jack is taking so long to heal from what ever is/was wrong with him.. I have been monitoring him all day and watch the food and water levels of the bowl.. I put a bowl of water in front of him and he stuck his face towards it and got up and turned around.. Litterally ignoring it.. He just wants nothing to do with it.. Ugggghh.. We just want him better..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mommacat0907

Yea they gave him an antibiotic shot and they are also giving him an IV for fluids to keep him hydrated along with vitamin shots for food.. I can't really switch vets being that he has known Jack since he was a kitten and we fully trust him he and his wife work together and they are amazing.. Besides he not just your typical vet he also owns a zoo and takes care of his animals.. He's very trustworthy.. Anyways, I just can't understand why Jack is taking so long to heal from what ever is/was wrong with him.. I have been monitoring him all day and watch the food and water levels of the bowl.. I put a bowl of water in front of him and he stuck his face towards it and got up and turned around.. Litterally ignoring it.. He just wants nothing to do with it.. Ugggghh.. We just want him better..
I am very glad you trust your vet, he does sound like a good one...
Ok, since he is already being medicated, now you need to be proactive in regards to his food... He needs to eat otherwise he can develop hepatic lipidosis, which can be lethal on cats. Try to get some stage 2 meat baby food (no onions and no garlic!!), and give to him. If he doesn't want it, open his mouth gently and put a little on the roof of her mouth... Another solution is to mix wet cat food wit water and feed him with a syringe. A little bit at a time until his stomach settles. Feed him as often as you can... No matter what you do, I can't stress enough the importance of him eating.
Ask the vet if he has some Science Diet A/D in the office - that is a great one for syringe feeding, is very caloric, and kitties seem to love it...
Good luck to your baby, hang in there!!

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much your really helping us with this.. So the vet called last night to see how Jack was doing and we told him thy he is still just laying down and not really getting up.. So the vet told us to bring him in first thing in the morning.. (day 5) we woke up early this morning to bring Jack to the vet as I went to get him I noticed he threw up yet again.. But this time it was yellow.. It almost look like pee but there was hair in it and bubbles.. I'm guess from not drinking.. We went to the vet and he decided to keep him for the day and possible all night.. He wants to monitor him.. The vet I beleive is starting to be stumpped.. He has the medication in him the water and the vitamins no blockage in his insides but yet he still won't get better.. Thank you all agaidodo so much..

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mommacat0907

...The vet I beleive is starting to be stumpped...
I'm finding your account of all this very disturbing. I cannot believe that this Veterinarian appears to have ignored the fact that your cat has not eaten in five days.

If there is no attempt made very soon to get food nto your cat, I fear that you may very well lose him.

Cats CANNOT NOT eat. I recently posted about this in another thread - it's here.

A feeding tube may well be called for at this point - you can read about those here.

And, (I know it's easy for me to say) I think it's way past time to find a competent feline veterinarian.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ditto what everyone else is saying...the cat's gotta eat! Stick it in his mouth, forcefeed, tubefeed, whatever it takes, and an IV of fluid and vitamins wouldn't be a bad idea either since it's been left this long. And get a vet that knows that cats need to eat! I was an elementary ed major; you should not use a vet that knows less than me!

mommacat0907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jack got surgery done today.. they found a very massive amount of string in his small intestine.. one verrrryy looooong peice of string.. it took them 1 and a half hours to get it all out and hd to make three different insisions causeit was so mangled and tangled in there.. thank you everyone so so very much for your prayers.. they sad that jack is recoverin very well but they keeping him for the night and possible tomorrow too.. he is finally ating (wet food) and has also drank water..

as i hve stated before they have ben giving him vitamin shots and and IV for water.. for what evr reason nothing showed up on the x ray.. my boyfriend and i looked at it too and we saw nothing.. as for the vet he is the best one around here that you could ask for.. we've known him for life and are very thankful to have him.. he has gone to a great college and knows hi stuff very very well.. (he has pictures of him performing a root canl on a bangle tiger..) lol.. his serious and very good..

thanks you all for your blessings and knowledge..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
glad to hear they found the problem. the string was probably similar in density to the intestines, & didn't show up on the x-ray for that reason.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happened to our Elsa when we were out of the country in England!!! She had a blockage that they operated on. When she got home, I fed her very small quantities of food around the clock. I would take about a tablespoon of hard kibble, and dissolve it in non-sodium chicken broth (I think it was also a tablespoon) and let her eat it every 2 hours. She also got "dessert" of full fat plain yogurt 1 tablespoon - to help counteract the antibiotic. It was difficult to do that every 2 hours for 2 - 3 days, but I REALLY think it helped.

I'm so glad they found it - it sounds EXACTLY how Elsa's symptoms were.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear they found out what it was. More Prayers and for continuing recovery.